Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/180/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Is my trainer right???

Hello,

I've recently begun exercising regularly and even went so far as to hire a personal trainer at my gym. The problem is that, with the routines she has told me to follow, specifically the cardio, by the time I'm done I often feel like vomiting. She says this is good, proof I'm getting the good work out I need. I say, it's making me not want to ever go back, or at least quit listening/going to her.

Thoughts? Is it normal to feel that way after a "good" cardio workout?

Thanks!!
KateV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #2  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

no. no. and again, no. i've felt that way after a super intense weight session, but if you never want to go back, at some point, you'll stop working out completely. after a good cardio workout, i'm covered with sweat, and i'm breathing heavy, and my legs might be fatigued - but i feel GOOD!

FWIW.
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #3  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I've felt like puking a handful of times after I've really pushed myself doing cardio --usually running. I mean, I've even dry heaved and everything. Not a pretty sight, or a pleasant feeling.

I know when it happens that I did push myself to my upper limits, so part of me feels good about that.

But if I felt like that ALL the time, then I don't know if I would want to continue either. Most of the time after I've finished a good work-out, I feel tingly all over and just good. I've even said it outloud, to an empty house, with a smile on my face "Phew! That was GOOD!"

So, even if you are getting the best work-outs on the planet, if it is making you want to quit instead of inspiring you to keep pushing, then maybe your trainer should take it down a notch or two.

Ask her if she can reduce the intense vomit-inducing killer work-outs to once a week, or every other week or so. If she won't, then it's time to find a new trainer.

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 07-10-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I agree with the above. There are times that I've pushed myself that hard to *know* that I can and it's a huge sense of pride. But I wouldn't want to do that at every session. Lord knows puking isn't all that much fun.

I'd say tell her that regardless of whether or not she thinks it's a good workout, you need something *slightly* less intense. If she's a good trainer, she'll listen.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #5  
Changing for the better

It sounds like these workouts are meant for someone who is slightly more physically fit - what is she asking you to do, exactly? I get nauseous sometimes during spinning classes, but like others said, that's only during an intense workout. If you express your concerns to your trainer, and she ignores them, I would strongly urge you to find someone else. It's possible that, if you told her your goal was to lose weight, she designed this "program" so that you would achieve maximum results in a shorter period of time. So asking her to readjust the routine to a slower pace might help.

My main advice is to go with your gut - listen to your body and how you feel. There's a big difference between feeling a little "off" after working out simply because you're out of shape, and feeling sick to your stomach each time you are finished exercising.

Lastly, make sure you aren't eating and drinking too little or too much before workouts!
Kitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #6  
Waiting on a hot body

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Height: 5'7"

Push yourself a little, but no way should you feel like throwing up. It's hard because some of us need more motivation than others and for me, doing it with someone helps SO much!

I love to run, but I hate to lift because it hurts... so my husband lifting with me makes me want to lift more, for instance.

Do what you are comfortable doing. The point is that you are out there trying to become more healthy... and from the sound of it, you are doing a GREAT job!

The problem with physical trainers is that they don't have to have much, if any medical training. That can hurt someone.

Last edited by MalibuBeachBound; 07-10-2008 at 04:40 PM.
MalibuBeachBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I used to workout w/ a trainer that made me want to vomit too...although I never did do it. While working out with him for 5 months, I lost 50 lbs. (10 per month, w/o plateau). However, now I'm doing things on my own and even though it's not as *fast,* at least I know I'm in charge and I know I can stick with this for the rest of my life....or a good chunk of it (not to mention all the money I save). I do workout with a trainer now, but it's a "bootcamp," for moms that is no-pressure. It's only $15 a class and you do the best you can. I get very intense workouts because I do like to push myself, but I still feel like I'm in control. Like the others said, if you're not going to stick with it for a long, long time, you should find something that works for you.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

It is normal for someone who has worked out intensely to feel like vomiting BUT I certainly don't think it is the norm or something we should strive for. If you watch the Biggest Loser many of them puke at the beginning when they aren't used to working out, but as they get fitter they don't anymore.

I would definitely continue with your trainer, he/she will give you other great advise, but don't do cardio till you feel sick do it at your own pace, with intensity, of course, and you'll feel like going back to the gym.

I don't think we should workout at an intensity that will turn us off from doing something healthy...

Hope this helps, keep us posted on your progress...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #9  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Hm, I've never felt like throwing up after I've worked out, but I have felt the need to use the bathroom very urgently.

I think it's great to push yourself, but feeling like you need to vomit after every workout is silly. It's also great and important to do things within your personal limits; as you get stronger and improve your stamina, you can increase the intensity of your workouts. IMO exercise should be JUST above your comfort zone; JUST above it.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 189/180/150

Height: 5'6"

Thank you for all the advice!

Kate
KateV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I agree with all the other posters about not pushing so hard that you feel ill. Just a question. What, if anything, do you eat/drink in the hour or so before a workout?
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

No its not normal...but what i will tell you one thing that may help...ALWAYS workout with some nutrition. Some people go to a workout without eating something. Before every workout with my personal trainer, i always have something light...ie yogars, granola etc. Something to give me the engery. I've never felt like i was going to puke. Hoever, my pt was always very good about watching me and keeping an eye out for if she was "pushing too hard". You should be pushed to certain boundries...but you shouldn't feel like you have to puke. A good pt will know how to take you to the limits but not push you over the edge. I don't think making you puke is good sign of working out...yes you should feel pushed and worn out to some extent...but puke...heck no...and if your pt feels that it really is ok....then yes its tme to find a new pt.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote