View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #42
paperclippy
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/postpartum/135

Height: 5'4"

Chicken-Apple-Bacon Burgers

This is my modified version of a Cooking Light recipe. Read the original here.

2 turkey bacon slices
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 pound ground chicken
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray
1 golden delicious apple, peeled, cored, and cut into slices
4 (2-ounce) Kaiser rolls

Preheat broiler.

Cook turkey bacon in a large nonstick skillet (sprayed with PAM) over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, and crumble. Add onion to drippings in pan, and saute 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly.

Combine chicken, bacon, onion, sage, and pepper. Divide chicken mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.

Place patties on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 5 minutes on each side or until done. Place apple slices on broiler pan; broil 1 minute on each side. Toast rolls. Place patties on bottom halves of rolls; top each serving with 2 apple slices and top half of roll.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

Original nutritional info from CL (using regular bacon and added salt):
CALORIES 341 (27% from fat); FAT 10.1g (sat 3.1g,mono 3.9g,poly 2g); IRON 2.7mg; CHOLESTEROL 57mg; CALCIUM 70mg; CARBOHYDRATE 34.4g; SODIUM 740mg; PROTEIN 26.4g; FIBER 2g

I also added a slice of muenster cheese to each patty at the end when I put the apples on the rack, and pulled out the tray when the apples were hot and the cheese was melted. SO YUMMY. You could probably cut down cals some with a whole wheat roll instead.