Old 07-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #1  

Default Baja Fish Tacos

This would be phase 1 if you don't use the tortillas. I cut the ingredients since there are just two of us.

2 lbs Pacific cod or tilapia fillets 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, thawed if frozen, rinsed and patted dry
3/4 cup fresh lime juice
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup bottled Taqueria Style Green Taco Sauce
6 TBSP light sour cream
1 1/2 packages (10 oz size) finely shredded cabbage (part green part red)
16 tortillas (use whole wheat)
fresh cilantro sprigs
salt

Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for direct, medium-high heat (you can hold your hand 1 to 2 inches above cooking grate only 3-4 seconds).

While grill heats, in a gallon size resealable bag, combine fish, lime juice, olive oil and garlic. Press bag to seal and turn over several times to coat fish evenly with marinade. Set aside to marinade for 15 minutes

In a large bowl, whisk together taco sauce and sour cream until smooth. Add cabbage and mix to coat evenly. Set aside. Arrange tortillas in a stack and seal in foil.

Lift fish from marinade and discard marinade. Place fish and tortilla packet on a well-oiled cooking grate. Cover gas grill. Cook, turning fish and tortillas once with a wide spatula until fish is opaque in thickest part (cut to test) and tortillas are warmed through, 8 to 12 minutes total.

Transfer tortillas to a serving basket and fish to a bowl. Discard any bones and skin, break the hot fish into chunks. Wrap pieces of fish and cabbage mixture in warm tortillas. Add salt and cilantro to taste.

Serves 6 to 8
Prep and cook time: 50 minutes
Per serving: 301 calories, 16% (47 cals) from fat
32 grams protein
5.3 grams fat
1.1 gram saturated
29 gram carb (3.7 gram fiber)
290 mg sodium
33 mg chol

This was so good and so easy! I loved the flavor. This one is definitely coming back!
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

This sounds sooooooooo good, Barb. Perfect for the hot summers!

I'll be trying this tomorrow night. Thanks for the great recipe!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

This recipe makes my mouth water, just reading it, Barb! Thanks for sharing it with us, I'm looking forward to making it!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #4  

It came out of a pamphlet of recipes the grocery store gave out for grilling. They all specify Safeway brands but any type would do.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I'd love to make this as a salad. . .would the times be the same for a grill pan?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #6  

I would say that you would want to watch the fish to see when it become opaque and then check it for flakiness rather than watching the time. I bet it would make a wonderful salad.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I made this for dinner tonight, very yummy, thanks Barb!
I had to make a couple of adjustments, no green salsa so used regular, no sour cream so substituted Greek yogurt, not enough lime juice, so used half lemon. I also left the fish filet whole and melted a piece of pepper jack on it. If I had black beans and avocado, I would have thrown those on too. This recipe has a lot going for it - quick and easy, very fresh and light for a summer night. I will definitely make it again. Might try it with some mango or peach salsa next time.
Only minus, the kids didn't like it. Well, one doesn't like any fish, and the other thought it was too citrusy.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 07-12-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote