General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Default botox???

This is kinda weird, but I have to ask the board in case there's someone who can give me insight on this topic. I have a 39 year old friend who is pregnant with her first. She looks great - maybe early 30s - and would never be caught with a gray hair showing. She doesn't want to LOOK like an old mom, even though she will be a bit older than some moms around here (who cares!?) She told me that she plans to have botox between her brows a couple weeks after she delivers... before she goes out in public, back to work, etc. She is planning to breast feed the baby - she's shooting for about 6 months of breast feeding.

I think it sounds like a bad idea, and I told her so. Wouldn't it get in her milk?? She was adamant that it would be fine. I told her I wanted to see that in writing!! It wasn't an argument, but she knew I thought she was crazy. Or am I crazy?

I have never had botox (mainly because it's very expensive). I have 2 sort of weathy friends who have been doing it 2-3 times a year - they swear by it. They can also afford it.

anyone whose had it think it's ok to do while breastfeeding??
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Blechh. I wouldn't do it.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:50 PM   #3  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i dont know if its safe or not, but if it was me i wouldnt be willing to risk it unless i was 100% sure it wasnt going to harm my baby. Whats a 6 month wait compared to putting your baby's health at risk? Hope that doesnt sound harsh, its not meant to >.<
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:47 AM   #4  
it's always something

Botox's manufacturers recommend that it is not used on either pregnant women or nursing mothers.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 AM   #5  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

I'd get dermabrasion or a chemical peel way before I'd get botox...

I want beautiful skin not frozen skin...
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Well, then I hope she won't be able to find anyone willing to do it. I know... it's CRAZY. Thanks.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:36 AM   #7  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Look up the botox website - find the warning against it for pregnant/nursing mothers and send it to her... might open up her eyes
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #8  
FB

I'm 31, I've gotten Botox before, in between my eyebrows (it doesn't look frozen, but I didn't go overboard), but I certainly wasn't breast feeding!

I'd say she's probably having a bit of anxiety before the baby comes. She's looks conscious, a bit older for a first time mom (like you said who cares, but she likely does) and is experiencing some of that pre-baby craziness. I well remember being restless in my last few weeks of pregnancy with all sorts of harebrained ideas!

Once her little one comes she'll likely change her mind when she meets her baby and falls in love. It would be a good idea to bring it up again then, perhaps while she's nursing, I'm sure she'll see that it's a bad idea - I'd hope.

If she has wrinkles, they'll still be there, botox doesn't fill them up - just prevents making them worse. I don't understand exposing the baby to a risk, any risk, but for a cosmetic risk??? After all, we're so careful during pregnancy, watching everything that goes in our bodies, newborn babies still need that protection once born.

Last edited by FB; 07-10-2008 at 09:38 AM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

Personally, I would never do anything different when I was pregnant to avoid any possible damage to the baby, maybe you could research in a bit and see if there have been any problems, like that
also personally I would tell her to GROW UP!
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/155/145

Height: 5'7

I use botox regularly and love the effects. I would never breast feed while using it although medically it may be safe. I think your friend would get more bang for her buck concentrating on getting in shape post-baby rather than botox which I can't imagine she would need at 39. I didn't start "using" until 40 plus. I also thought that breast feeding help retain my youthful appearance (of my face at least )
medusa26point2 is offline   Reply With Quote