Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #1  

Default pain in the leg muscle during exercice

Sorry to post again but i was wondering what cause me to experience pain in the leg muscles during exercice ? is this the lactic acid accumulating in my muscles ? i find the pain goes away when i rest..should i stop when i experience this pain ?
kaytlin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:05 AM   #2  
Waiting on a hot body

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytlin90 View Post
Sorry to post again but i was wondering what cause me to experience pain in the leg muscles during exercice ? is this the lactic acid accumulating in my muscles ? i find the pain goes away when i rest..should i stop when i experience this pain ?
If it is during vigorous exercise or long weight training segments then yes, likely it is the build up of lactic acid. If it happens whenever you move to even start an exercise, it could indicate a much more serious problem.

I didn't look at how old you are but obviously get checked by an MD if you are over 35 before you take my advice. If the pains are sharp or feel like cramping, stop and rest.

To answer your question about if you should stop or not ... it depends.

Blessed mitochondria!

Last edited by MalibuBeachBound; 07-10-2008 at 05:11 PM.
MalibuBeachBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

For us to give you feedback, I think it would probably help us to know what kind of pain you are experiencing (is a sharp pain, a burning sensation, etc.), what kind of exercise you are doing when you experience it (lifting weights, running, etc.), and where you are experience the pain (shin, ankle, knee, hamstring, etc.).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #4  

i am experiencing the pain in my tibia muscle. i feel like my muscles are contracting or maybe not..i just feel like resting when this happens...the pain goes away when i rest..it happens when i either run or walk fast..like maybe 10-15 min after starting
Old 07-10-2008, 06:28 AM   #5  
Waiting on a hot body

Quote:
i am experiencing the pain in my tibia muscle. i feel like my muscles are contracting or maybe not..i just feel like resting when this happens...the pain goes away when i rest..it happens when i either run or walk fast..like maybe 10-15 min after starting
Personally, that sounds a bit like shin splints to me. Of course that is not a medical term but rather a symptom. Many things can cause them and it is typically a dull, aching pain from what I understand. If you are uncertain, go have it checked before you hurt yourself.

When you said leg muscles, I was under the impression you meant the entire leg. When I feel the impact of lactic acid, usually I notice it first in the quads during prolonged vigorous exercise. Actually doesn't sound like that is your issue if it is ONLY experienced in the tibia... but nothing is an impossibility.

Last edited by MalibuBeachBound; 07-10-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #6  

I exercise today and I noticed the same pain..it's in my tibia as well as in the muscle attached to the tibia. My muscle attached to the tibia when the pain occured was really hard and when exercising it feels also as the pain might also come from the attachement of the bone to the tibia.

what is it ? im just really confused ...is it cramps that make my muscle attached to the tibia hard ?
Old 07-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #7  
Waiting on a hot body

Quote:
I exercise today and I noticed the same pain..it's in my tibia as well as in the muscle attached to the tibia. My muscle attached to the tibia when the pain occured was really hard and when exercising it feels also as the pain might also come from the attachement of the bone to the tibia.

what is it ? im just really confused ...is it cramps that make my muscle attached to the tibia hard ?
Kaytlin,

It SOUNDS like it MAY be shin splints as I mentioned above.

Having an advanced education in Physiology and years of medical research experience, this goes against every grain of my being.

I don't take sources personally from the internet, I use pubmed journals because they are more reliable... but for our purposes here... does this sound like what you have?

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cy...hinsplints.htm

I am NOT about to give you medical advice on a forum like this given that I am not an MD in sports medicine or a podiatrist. If you are concerned, see one of them.

Last edited by MalibuBeachBound; 07-10-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #8  

Kaytlin,

I have the exact problem, it's really annoying. I did some research and, like Malibu said, I think it might be a shin splints.

I'll look into it tonight
Npmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I agree, it sounds like shin splints. I am not a doctor nor do I have any expertise in dealing with shin splints, so take my opinion for the amateur one that it is. Making sure you stretch properly after you work out might help. Also, have you invested in a good pair of running shoes? Go to a store where they will watch you walk and recommend a pair of shoes that work for you. Tell them you are experiencing pain in your tibia when you walk/run.

Also, have you considered trying a different type of exercise? Do you belong to a gym with other cardio equipment, such as ellipticals, that you could use? What about swimming or bicycling?
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote