Old 07-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Jillian Michaels question...

I have a question...

I am an exercise dvd enthusiast, and I have a pretty large collection I was looking at some reviews (I always do before I buy!) and while reading the reviews from one of the Jillian ones, there were comments, and I wanted to see what you ladies thought.

The comments that I read, said that Jillian was sort of "picking" on one of her background exercisers in one of the dvds, saying "ghetto booty" comments and things of that nature.

Is this true? If you have the dvd in question, and the comments are there-what was your feeling? I am just asking because if it was sort of a 2-way thing, where the two were teasing each other, it would be fine...but if it seemed like J was being condescending to the exerciser, then I don't want to buy it-no matter how good the workout is.

Any opinions?
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #2  
prepare for the BEST time

If you know the title...you can try to see part of the video on Collage, they usually show a preview.

you can also talk to one of the reps who review it. they have great customer service.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #3  

I went to Collage, and they only showed a very small clip of the video...and it wasn't the part where the comments in question were made.

I need someone who has seen the entire (I believe it is one of the Biggest Loser sculpting ones) dvd, who has seen the comments, and can tell me more about the manner in which they were said.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I have her 30-day shred workout. I didn't feel that she was condescending at all to her backup. She does however have a no-holds-barred sort of attitude and that may be what the reviewer was referring to. I wouldn't think she meant it as a put down. I have a flat behind and would love it if someone referred to my booty as anything but!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #5  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

I've got a couple of her dvds that I don't do. I think I did them once. It seemed like she was playing the "tough guy" image and picking on some of the cast. I don't remember the booty comment, but I haven't watched them in a couple of years.
They are The Biggest Winner-Maximize Full Frontal and Back in Action.
I think I didn't like them because of all of the jumping (bad knees).
If I get a chance, I'll run through them quick and listen for remarks.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #6  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I have that DVD -- it's the Biggest Loser Sculpting DVD -- and I remember that "Ghetto Booty" comment. I have to say, she was kind of riding that one assistant's @ss during the workout, but I had a feeling it was somehow related to the Biggest Loser TV show and maybe what their dynamic was on the show (which I didn't watch so I couldn't tell you) since all the exercisers were contestants.

*I* didn't find the ghetto booty comment offensive or anything, and I don't think she meant it in an offensive way... maybe more like she has a NICE butt (isn't ghetto booty supposed to be good booty?).

But I like Jillian Michaels a lot and I like her workouts (and her workout on that particular DVD is the best, imo) but she is tough. On another DVD I have of hers, Cardio Kickbox, one of the exercisers makes a comment like "Oh, that's it?" (i.e. the workout as faster/easier than she expected) and Jillian made them do additional stuff as 'punishment'). But her workouts are goooooooood.

Edit: But I agree with DDC that they might not be a good idea for people with bad knees, since there is a lot of jumping and squatting and lunging involved.

Last edited by KLK; 07-07-2008 at 01:44 PM.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #7  
ddc
getting back to 140

Oh good, I don't have to go through mine then-ha.

I did watch about 20 min of the Full Frontal and she did make a few comments to one of the guys that the chest press would give him good cleavage and the side leg raises would get rid of his saddle bags.
A girl in the back accidentally banged one of the lockers behind her and Jillian came over and pushed down on her weights as she was doing the bench press to "punish" her.
Jillian seemed to be sort of "giddy" in this one. Laughing alot. I don't know, she didn't seem very professional to me.

There is alot of jumping, so I'm sure that's why I didn't stick with it.
Oh, one the guys, Nick, was a contestant on Bravo TV's Step it up and Dance.

I've seen her 30 day shred dvd On Demand and it seems her demeanor is different in that one.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:38 AM   #8  

Thanks for the info, guys!

I don't think I'll be buying any Jillian dvds then...I love fitness dvds, and I have a massive collection...but I am really picky about my instructors. (I don't like Kathy Smith, or the Yoga Booty Ballet instructors for instance...) I don't think I would like Jillian's demeanor much.

You guys are wonderful! Thanks!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #9  
Peach

Aphil - you already got your answer - but yeah I'm not too fond of this dvd, and i'm actually going to trade it into something else. hehe You don't like Kathy Smith how comes?
princesspeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #10  
ddc
getting back to 140

I don't care for Kathy Smith either. Too much whoopin' and yeowin'.

It also bugs me when you can obviously tell that a fitness person has had plastic surgery.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:55 AM   #11  

The whoopin' and yeowin.

That is EXACTLY why. Also, I don't like the fact that she tries to do dance videos-when she is NO dancer, and has no rhythm at all. Her latin dance, and especially belly dance, dvds were AWFUL.

She is good at weight training, step aerobics, etc...so she should stick with that. I actually laughed out loud when she started whooping and cat calling in the belly dance dvd of hers. The REAL dancers (in the background) looked absolutely dumbfounded and shocked when she did it.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Aphil - I have 2 Jilliin dvds - Full Frontal and Maximize Backside. They are only about 22 min long a piece, and I get really sweaty and "worked out" when I dod them even though they are super short. So, I do them occasionally when I am short on time.

The kicker... I do them WITH THE VOLUME DOWN....:-)
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #13  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

KLK...ditto! While I wasn't a fan of Jillian's at first I absolutely love the dvd! I think that is just the way she is and doesn't mean anything by what she says. But the DVD definitely is a good workout!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote