This is one of my go-to, low calorie meals (another CL recipe that I modified). I love the spices in this and I love that it has two (that's right, count 'em, two) cans of chickpeas. I also love that it makes enough for two of us to eat it for three nights. And that it is a mere 245 calories.
Moroccan Chickpea Chili with Chicken
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 16 oz chicken breast, diced
- 6 oz diced onions (about 1 cup)
- 6 oz diced red pepper (about 1 cup)
- 8 oz diced celery (a little over 2 cups)
- 5 oz diced carrots (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon (less if you aren't a big fan of cinnamon in savory dishes)
- 1 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 15-oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
Heat 1 tsp olive oil in large (5 qt) saucepan over med-high. Add chicken and saute until cooked on all sides and beginning to brown.
Add remaining 1 tsp olive and veggies (onion, pepper, celery, carrots, and garlic). Cook until veggies are just tender.
Add spices and remaining ingredients through canned tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 20 min.
Add chickpeas and simmer for a few minutes more, until chickpeas are heated. Stir in lemon juice and cilantro.
Makes six servings at about 245 calories each. Each serving is about 2 cups, maybe just a smidge less.