View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 04:11 AM   #38
BlueToBlue
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Default Chicken with Figs, Fennel, and Bacon

This is a great, low calorie, special occasion meal. The mix of flavors is perfect and the figs really make it something out of the ordinary. It would be great served with polenta or cous cous (and is low enough in calories that you absolutely could serve it that way). It's based on a Cooking Light recipe that I modified.

Chicken with Figs, Fennel, and Bacon
  • 2 slices center cut bacon (about 35 calories per slice)
  • 6 oz vertically sliced red onion (about 1 cup)
  • 8 oz diced fennel (about 2 cups)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 lb chicken breasts diced
  • 1/4 cup red wine
  • 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1-2 tsp dried thyme
  • 12 oz fresh figs (about 8 figs), cut in large pieces
  • 3 tbsp fresh parsley (don't use dried and I highly recommend not leaving this out)

Cook bacon in a large, non-stick skillet. Drain fat, but leave a small amount to coat the pan.

Add onions, fennel, and garlic to skillet and saute over med-high heat until tender. Remove from skillet.

Mix together garam masala, sugar, salt, and pepper.

Add chicken to skillet and sprinkle with about half the spice mixture. Saute until chicken is beginning to brown and is cooked on all sides. Add remaining spice mixture, red wine, and red wine vinegar. Simmer for 30 seconds or so, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the skillet. Add chicken broth and thyme. Simmer until liquid is reduced by about half (10 min or so).

Carefully stir in figs (you want the fig pieces to remain as whole as possible, don't mash them all up). Simmer for another minute or so until figs are heated. Toss with fresh parsley.

This makes four servings at about 250 calories each.

My Before and After Pics

"Decide what you want; decide what you're willing to exchange for it; establish your priorities, and go to work." --H.L. Hunt

"Life has hills. Set the treadmill at an incline."

Last edited by BlueToBlue : 07-09-2008 at 04:23 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote