View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 04:59 AM   #37
BlueToBlue
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Default Cabbage Noodles

Robin was talking about cabbage noodles recently, which was always one of my favorite meals as a kid. On our birthdays, we got to decide what the family ate for dinner and I ALWAYS (for something like ten years in a row) picked cabbage noodles. My mom made them with bacon and I'm sure lots of butter but I thought I could come up with a healthier version that would still taste good. Here's the final recipe and it was very reminiscent of my mom's recipe. I really liked it and it was also very filling.

Cabbage Noodles with Ham
  • 1 oz whole wheat or high fiber pasta (flat, wide noodles--I used Fiber Gourmet's Short-Cut Fettuccine and it was perfect)
  • 8 oz thinly sliced green cabbage
  • 2 oz thinly sliced onion
  • 3 oz pre-cooked, 99% fat free ham, diced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tbsp light butter

Cook pasta, drain, and rinse with cold water to stop it from cooking further. Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over med-high. Add cabbage, onion, ham, salt, and pepper. Saute until cabbage and onions are almost cooked. Add pasta and cook another minute or so longer. Toss with light butter.

This makes 1 serving at about 265 calories. If you use a different kind of whole wheat or high fiber pasta, that will increase the calories to 290 to 300, depending on the calories in the pasta (Fiber Gourmet has 130 calories per 2 oz serving).

My Before and After Pics

"Decide what you want; decide what you're willing to exchange for it; establish your priorities, and go to work." --H.L. Hunt

"Life has hills. Set the treadmill at an incline."

Last edited by BlueToBlue : 07-09-2008 at 05:22 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote