Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:40 PM   #1  
Regina in wonderland...

Post Just saying what needs to be said.

Hey ladies...
Well, I have previously made the decision to lose weight. But in my first two weeks I have done nothing but dissappoint myself. I've given in to whatever it was that I wanted and I hate that. But I keep telling myself that tomorrow is a new day and I don't have to make the same mistake as I did yesterday. This is truly an ongoing battle for me. Everyday is. I read all the fitness magazines and I really want to go to the gym...my body is craving fitness I think. But everytime I say I'm going to the gym after work that little thing starts talking in my head and says "oh you can't go the gym, you're too tired". I know that it's so simple. All I have to do is tell myself I'm going to do it and then follow through with it.
I've also had another recent decision that I made. I want to be a deputy. Ever since I was a child I wanted to be in law enforcement. Of course the way my body is now I'd never survive the basic academy. But I want it so bad. I even have a friend who is a deputy who is willing to sponsor me and get me through the physical aspect of it. This is my goal. When I think that I want fast food or something ridiculously unhealthy, I need to remember that I'll never be a deputy because of this hamburger that I'm eating. That would make me sad.
So I just needed to get all this out. I know it's long and it doesn't really have anything encouraging in it. But I just needed to say what I needed to say. If you've read this far...thanks!
emery2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i feel your disappointment, i have the same problem with going to the gym. I can always find an excuse. But lately ive tried telling myself that if i go, i dont have to go hard out and train to the max, just do my best for that day. That kind of attitude at least gets me started, which is the hardest part. Maybe if you make a weekly plan so that you have times for the gym where you know it will fit you will be able to make yourself go more often?
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #3  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by emery2 View Post
This is truly an ongoing battle for me. Everyday is.
BOY do I relate to this! Some days I can buck up and be sooo OP but other days? -- beyond a struggle. I think its like that for most folks. I do know that staying OP 90% of the time -- allowing for 'life' to happen, accepting it and moving on -- makes things alot easier for me. I also know that taking that first step is paramount. You just gotta do it, regardless of how you feel or look.

Quote:
But everytime I say I'm going to the gym after work that little thing starts talking in my head and says "oh you can't go the gym, you're too tired". I know that it's so simple. All I have to do is tell myself I'm going to do it and then follow through with it.
The next time you decide to go to the gym and that pesky little voice rears its ugly head, acknowledge it. Say 'yes pesky little voice, I AM tired and I'd rather go home and spud out'. Then you know what you do? GO ANYWAY!! Show that little voice that it DOES NOT have power over you, that it will not control your decision. Go to the gym, do the best you can and you will feel terrific. Let this feeling help you go the next day and the next day, etc. I've finally gotten to the point where exercise isn't even an option (unless I'm sick or something). I just DO IT, like washing my hair and getting dressed. It's really mostly mind-over-matter and once I get going, I rarely quite b/4 I'm done. Actually when I think of it, I haven't quite b/4 I've finished yet!

Last edited by Hat Trick; 07-08-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I've had to talk to that stupid voice so many many times on this journey.

I honestly think that sometimes the hardest part of exercise is just starting: putting on your shoes or actually getting to the gym. Even years into this, I don't WANT to GO to the gym (imagine the little voice whining that....).

Well, I don't care what the voice wants. What I want is to maintain my healthy body and be able to life an active life. What's more, usually once I start exercising, I like it. I almost always like how I feel when I'm done.

Seriously, muzzling that voice has been a big part of my success. But it's just a voice. It has no real power.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

I think most of us have had to muzzle that voice, otherwise how would we have gotten overweight/out of shape to begin with?

For me, the voice has gotten quieter and quieter, but there are still some times I have to pull out my motivation book and re-read instead of giving in.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
But lately ive tried telling myself that if i go, i dont have to go hard out and train to the max, just do my best for that day. That kind of attitude at least gets me started, which is the hardest part.
I TOTALLY used to do this. It works!! Once you get going and the endorphins kick in...it feels good and you have the energy to get the job done. It's all about faking it until you have built a healthy habit.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #7  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I have that voice whispering into my ear to not go to the gym so many times. Lately, I sleep really badly and when I get home from work and can relax for a moment, I start dozing off. But I know that if I go to bed then I DEFINITELY won't sleep at night. I am exhausted but I keep pressing on. That voice was telling me this afternoon again to stay at home and take a nap. Besides, it is quite humid here and my gym, for some unknown reason, keeps open windows in the class exercise room even though the rest of the facility is A/C-ed. So I thought how I will sweat doing Pilates in the warm room .... but I did go anyway. I always do. But the voice keeps trying, and I keep turning a deaf ear.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #8  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

SO Many times I have all my stuff ready to bring with me to the gym after work, I have my hair in a pony tail and sometimes I've even changed from office clothes into my workout clothes before leaving work. And then... I have my bus ride. The bus passes RIGHT in front of the gym (so Id just get off at an earlier stop), but you must understand that this bus isn;t your typical city bus -- it's an interborough bus doing Manhattan-Bronx-Manhattan and it's a rennovated tour bus, with very comfy reclining seats, the works. I start dozing off on the high way and I either sleep right past the gym stop or I feel SO zonked out from my snooze that I just keep going and get off at the stop by my house. Ugh. And even if I have something to read or listen to my iPod (blasting) I STILL doze off. Even if I'm FULLY dressed for the gym, waterbottle in hand, I still doze off. And once Im home, I will NOT go back out to the gym, so, as is often the case, I will get my second wind and then work out at home, but I really wanna go to the gym!
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 140/111/103

Height: 5'1

I have the same problem with the gym, I just can't make myself go. Instead I run outside because there really is no excuse. If I'm really tired I'll put my stuff on and walk until I get the energy to get running. It feels amazing after you're done a workout you thought you were way too tired to do.
sm177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #10  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

KLK...any way to fit the gym in on the way TO work?

MMMMMMMMMM comfy bus seat...zzzzzzzzzzzzz I totally get it. Just trying to troubleshoot.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:46 AM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

KLK... don't sit down...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #12  
Regina in wonderland...

I just want to say thanks for all the advice!! It's something I'm going to take seriously...thanks!
emery2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat View Post
I TOTALLY used to do this. It works!! Once you get going and the endorphins kick in...it feels good and you have the energy to get the job done. It's all about faking it until you have built a healthy habit.

I agree. Sometimes the thought of working out to the max is enough to discourage me from working out, but if I tell myself I'll just go and work out moderately, it helps. Also, sometimes that negative voice tells me, "This 20-minute workout won't make that much of a difference in weight loss, so why bother?" I always counter that attitude with the thought that I'm going because I'm trying to establish a life-long habit, not going to just burn calories.

Also, another thing I do when I have negative self-thoughts is just shut them off. That's right---totally blank out your mind. Think of nothing. Just act like a robot and get ready for the gym----shorts on, shoes tied, etc. If those negative thoughts pop in as you're getting ready, eject them quickly. You'd be surprised at how much control you have over this. Try it.
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:52 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

I can so totally relate to some of the stuff you are saying.

When i was going to the gym, i'd be all hyped up to go until about 5pm. Then i was like, "i don't really feel like going. i just want to go home." What worked for me at that point was, when 5:30 hit, i just went to the bathroom, changed my clothes and got in my car. I just drove there. If i just didn't think about, but just did it, i seemed to do alot better. I kinda of just put myself on auto pilot. And then there were those days where i really did have to talk myself into going. And then once i was there, if i just still couldn't get in to it, well...at least i went and tried. I never punished myself if i couldn't get the endorphines going that day, i actually praised myself for at least going when i didn't want to.

Also, the eating out thing. I solved this by not bringing any money to work with me. That definately helped me out with not getting snacks out of the vending machines too.

It is so hard to get started. All of us will agree. It's just not easy. That's why people suggest small changes. Small starts. When we go all gung ho on the first day...we often find it hard to follow thru with and feel disappointed. So, my suggestion is to find small changes and stick to that for a week. Then see what small change you can make the following week. You can do this.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumifan4ever View Post

Also, the eating out thing. I solved this by not bringing any money to work with me. That definately helped me out with not getting snacks out of the vending machines too.
OMG, I had completely forgotten that I did this for a while, at least briefly. When I started this whole journey 3 years ago, my first change was to bring my lunch and snacks to work so I would avoid the vending machine. I didn't want to cave to temptation, so for a little while I made sure I had no cash for the vending machine! It helped, too! Now it's no longer a temptation.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote