Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Default No more restaurants!

This may be too dumb to post here, but I just had a revelation. Now, for the most part, I am a pretty frugal person. I don't own credit cards, I rarely buy myself clothing, go on vacations, go to the movies, etc. But I just checked my online bank account, I realized that in the past month, I've spent about 200 bucks on restaurants!!!! That is insane, and ridiculous!!! Not only is it unhealthy, but that money could be going towards my graduate classes, a gym membership, etc.
Just so I'm accountable to someone, I'm offering myself a challenge, and you guys are welcome to use it too. I want to go a whole month without eating out. Soooooo..... I'm starting tomorrow, since today's almost over and not much of a challenge. I realize this may seem fairly stupid, and makes me look like a weak loser, but atleast I'm trying to fix this, right?
July 7- No restaurants today! And I was tempted, because some jerk STOLE MY LAUNDRY from our apartment laundrymat.
July 8- no restaurants today!
July 9- success! And I walked 4 miles today!
July 10-another day without eating out. And I walked another 4 miles today
July 11-I ended up not going out with my students (too tired) and I did another 4 miles today.
July 12-no eating out today! 4 more miles
July 13-no eating out today! 4 more miles
July 14-no eating out today! 4 more miles
July 15-no eating out today! 4 more miles
July 16-no eating out today!
July 17-no eating out today!
July 18-no eating out today! I went to the movies and brought my own snacks!
July 19- no restaurants today! 4 miles today
July 20- still on track 4 miles today
July 21- still on track--4 more miles!
July 22- no eating out--4 miles
July 23- still on track--4 miles
July 24- got asked to go to a junk foody-restaurant and I said no; too rainy to walk today
July 25-did my walking and ate at home
July 26-no eating out today; walked 4 miles
July 27-no eating out today!
July 28-I ate out today at a salad bar--I made good choices and only paid $6, so not a total loss! I still walked.
July 29-walked 2 miles today; no eating out.
July 30-didn't walk today, but I didn't eat out either! Pants fit better
July 31-no eating out. I'm doing the treadmill for an hour tonight after dinner. No excuses!!
Aug. 1-lots of walking today at the zoo, and ate out. I ate within my WW points though.
Aug. 2-ate at IHOP with friends, but ate pretty healthy. I totally ignored the bacon!
Aug. 3-no eating out today and did 1.5 miles on the treadmill.
Aug. 4
Aug. 5-
Aug. 6-
Aug. 7-

Last edited by chickybird; 08-03-2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: update
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #2  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I used to be on a board where they had a "no eating out" challenge every month. They were all married women with children, so the kids didn't eat out either. Some of them got to the point where they only ate out like twice a year. I think some calculated what they were saving and it was a LOT.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #3  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

You're not a loser at all. More power to you - if your social life is anything like mine (revolves around happy hours and dinners out), this will be quite a challenge!
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:59 PM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

We have really cut down on how much we eat out. Some for health reasons, and some monetary. We used to eat out probably 3-4 dinners a week and breakfast 3 or 4 days. Plus a coffee shop almost every day. That's a lot!
We now have breakfast out 2 days a week, and sometimes one other meal on the weekend. Then coffee a couple times a week.

We are saving a lot of money, which allows us to afford those premium grocery items (like Fage, organic foods and the like).
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Sorry I can't join you I totally understand why you are wanting to do this and I am all for it. My wife and I go out almost every Friday for our date night..we have learned to do what we call Friday Night Splits, where we share a meal when possible.

On my journey this past year I will say that I have had fast food only 4 times! Once with Angie at Rubios...once by myself after overtime at work DEl Taco...only place in the area opened at 12 midnight, once I needed (HA-HA) a double cheeseburger fix at Mc D's...and once with my brother for a out of town dinner. I know that has saved me $$$ and calories!

Good luck to you!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:21 PM   #6  

Thanks guys! I never drink alcohol, so at least I don't have to worry about that. I'm thinking of giving up sprite though.... I have a can maybe 2 or 3 times a week.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

Hey Chicky!!

Good luck with your challenge! I can relate. We are a family of three on one income. We have to cut where we can. I can't say I have sworn off the eating out though...we go at least once a week....I watch sales papers and clip coupons for groceries and save the money I save...I have also taken up can collecting (coke cans...etc)....a local recycling plant pays 75 cents a pound....so when I take my walks and stuff I pick them up...so that could be some extra money for you...and you can use it for eating out once a week or whatever you want to do!
McKenziesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Whenever the bill comes, I think to myself ... ya know how much groceries I could buy for that????
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:53 AM   #9  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Yeah DH and I are guilty of this too. We have really been trying lately to not eat out and to fix meals at home or at the very least pick up something at the grocery to take to work (for lunch) and prepare it there. I can say after a week or so of doing that I feel 100% better!

Good Luck Everybody!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:12 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I don't think we have the same culture of eating out here in the UK. I don't think I've ever bought breakfast food from a restaurant other than when on vacation. If I was on the run over lunch I'd more than likely grab a pre-packed sandwich or salad than have a sit down meal somewhere. Dinners out are restricted to celebrations only unless again on vacation. We might get an occasional take-away but since I've been on my new eating plan this amounts to perhaps once every 2 or 3 months.

So I don't really know how great a challenge is for you to go without eating out for a month. Its something I could easily manage but good luck with it anyhow.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

We are also practicing not eating out to save money -- but I'm hoping it will have a positive side affect on our weight too!
Restaurants are expensive, and pack wayyy too many calories into meals.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:15 AM   #12  

I'm in a dilemma. Two of my students' families invited me to lunch tomorrow. I explained about my vow of not eating out, so I can save money and be healthier. Their solution? The restaurant they want to take me to has a salad bar and they've offered to pay. If I went to lunch with them, I'm bring my own salad dressing, and fruit for dessert. I'd like to keep my vow, but I'm close to these students and their families (I teach special education pre-k, and I get to teach these kiddos 2 or 3 years, depending how young they are). I know these moms have a hard time trusting their kids with anyone, and over this past school year, they've really come out of their shells, and they trust me and the other teachers.
So, would I be an awful person for eating in a restaurant? They insist on paying, and the salad bar there is pretty good.
Btw, I'd still spend the rest of the month doing my best to avoid restaurants (at the very least, unhealthy ones, lol)

Last edited by chickybird; 07-11-2008 at 01:17 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-11-2008, 02:09 AM   #13  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

Chickybird, I say, go out with the parents. You wouldn't really be breaking your promise to yourself. And, these people really want to treat you to this meal. It is important to them and to you. So, go. Enjoy and don't feel guilty.

BTW: I love your avatar. It makes me giggle every time I see it.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:33 AM   #14  

Thanks rain dancer! I guess I just wanted to hear someone else say it. I really have awesome students
More news: My dad wants the whole family to go out next Saturday for his birthday. It's a big deal because my brother just came back from Korea after being gone 5 years, and it'll be our first family function together. I'm looking forward to it, mainly because I want to show that I can make a good healthful food choice.
I'm glad you like my avatar! Someone posted it in the joke forum, and I had to steal it!

Last edited by chickybird; 07-11-2008 at 02:34 AM. Reason: because I felt like it!
Old 07-11-2008, 05:19 AM   #15  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up

Hi chickybird - No restaurants is such a neat way to stay on plan and save money. However, you might consider modifying your promise to yourself to something like, no restaurants when it's reasonable for me to fix my own. That would make it easier for you to make decisions for such special occasions as your dad's birthday.

Since I started bringing my lunch to work as part of my healthy path over two years ago, I've been surprised at how many work related lunches I've attended. I'd never really thought about it. My plan is to make healthy choices as best available, and that's worked out good enough. And, I don't feel deprived, so I haven't even once just gone to a fast food place on my own.

Good luck with your choices at your dad's birthday lunch.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote