General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #1  
Releasing the inner hiker

Default Are you musically obsessed?

I thought I'd see what others have to say about this, as I've been told I'm abnormal and other people do not listen to music as I do.

If I like a song, I can listen to it nonstop for hours and hours (and even days) on end. For example, I downloaded a song 4 days ago and I have listened to it over 100 times. Last night, I played a song over 20 times before I went to bed. Further, I can't stop a song once it has started playing...I have to wait until it ends to turn off the music.

Does anyone else do this? I love how a song can become immersed in my soul...
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #2  

I have been known to sit in my car in the driveway until a song I love ends - hate to shut it off because I never know when it will be on the radio again!!

I can't ride in the car without the radio on. There isn't a particular song I can listen to over and over at this point, but I have been know to repeat a song probably five or six times on my CD player when I'm on the treadmill -- there are just some songs that make me move faster!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

I do that! I was a singer in High School but if I like a song I play it over and over again. Sometimes I don't care even if it a foreign one. My current love is a japanese and I don't speak japanese. I listen to classical music, rock music anything that stirs my soul. Music helps me relax and write a lot.

I also have this peeve. If a song starts and my phone rings, I have to start it over again when I resume listening to music. You are not alone!
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

You'll find that many people feel exactly like you do about music, whether or not they express it by listening to one song obsessively. I have found that music is so personal to people, that it's so deeply rooted within our beings, it is not necessary to even have a broad range of knowledge or tastes of music and I think that's what I like about it so much. And I'm definitely obsessed!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #5  

An old roommate of mine used to get so angry at me for playing the same song repetitively. It wasn't because she disliked the music, as we had the same taste. She just could not listen to a song more than twice before it "got old."

Last night I was chatting with a friend and he asked if my computer was broken because he kept hearing the same song, lol. When I told him I liked to listen to a song over and over, he replied, "I could never do that."

And then, this morning, a work colleague told me she doesn't like to listen to much music at all. (!!!) Hence the reason for this thread...I was just really curious if my tastes are as different as others have expressed.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #6  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceEep View Post
I thought I'd see what others have to say about this, as I've been told I'm abnormal and other people do not listen to music as I do.

If I like a song, I can listen to it nonstop for hours and hours (and even days) on end. For example, I downloaded a song 4 days ago and I have listened to it over 100 times. Last night, I played a song over 20 times before I went to bed. Further, I can't stop a song once it has started playing...I have to wait until it ends to turn off the music.

Does anyone else do this? I love how a song can become immersed in my soul...

You just explained me to a "T". hehe I drive my DH crazy with a certain song at any given time.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #7  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I also can't be in a car without the radio on! I've been known to bring my Ipod with me to the dentist and doctors offices as well. It makes the entire process go MUCH smoother.

However - My boyfriend and I both hate listening to the entire song, unless it's a REALLY good one. The last 30 seconds are so repetative that they drive us crazy! Also we're both lyric OBSESSED.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm usually the one who can't even listen to a CD twice consecutively. (I have a 3 CD capacity on my stereo, and I never have fewer than 3 CDs in it, so it's almost 3 hours before a song repeats).

However, I have my exceptions. When I first heard the song "Code Monkey" I played it to death - and watched every YouTube variation of it (and there are a LOT).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

My problem is that if I like a song, it very quickly gets imbedded in my mind and I cannot turn it off. I hear it in my head for days--long past the point at which I'm tired of it.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #10  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

If I like a song, I can play it over and over and over again too. I do this so much, though, that I eventually need to refresh my ipod with some new stuff that I can play over and over and over bc I've played everything on it to death. And my interest in different kinds of music/songs comes and goes in waves. For three weeks, i was OBSESSED with this recording I have of La Traviata with the AMAZING Carlo Bergonzi as Alfredo. I literally listened to "Un di felice" 30 times a day. But now I'm going to lay off that for a while.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I usually play 3 or 4 songs over again -- usually not back to back unless I want to sing it and need to learn it. I've been listening to a few Jason Mraz songs today off his new record, and I know them all except If It Kills Me, so that one has been playing quite a bit.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskinomad View Post
However - My boyfriend and I both hate listening to the entire song, unless it's a REALLY good one. The last 30 seconds are so repetative that they drive us crazy! Also we're both lyric OBSESSED.
Interestingly, I am not lyric obsessed. I only listen/pay attention to the lyrics if I really like a song. 99.9% of the time, the beat/tune is what engages me or not. There have been a few times where I have LOVED a song, only to realize the lyrics were atrocious. I'm always torn then...should I like it or not, lol.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

In addition to having 7 siblings who can all play at least 2 instruments, I have Bachelor's in Music from one of the top 3 Music universities in the US. I've known a LOT of musicians in my life.

From my observations, this is actually quite normal for anyone who has a musical talent. If you don't sing or play an instrument yet, you might think about picking something up that interests you.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #14  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I absolutely do that, lol! When I get a new CD or even on the iPod when walking...I will listen to the same song over and over and over and over...then realize there are over 200 more to listen to, lol. I LOVE music and have since I was little. Always sang to the radio and still do! Life without music is...well, boring!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #15  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

We're the exact opposite AliceEep! Boyfriend and I will learn to like a song because we've fallen in love with the lyrics There's a song (Question by the Old 97s) we fell in love with because it's about a young guy taking a girl to a park and proposing to her. It's all very innocent, and light, and adorable. The tune wasn't really our thing at first, but now it's easily one of my top favorite songs

"She'd had no idea. She started to cry. She said in a 'good way'.. He took her by the hand, walked her back home - and they took the long way..." Cuuuute!!!

Last edited by GradPhase; 07-07-2008 at 03:46 PM.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote