Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/195/175

Height: 5'6"

Default diet pills

Hi everyone; this may seem weird but I am just wondering if anyone is taking any certain "diet" pills while dieting? I am considering trying something for a few months to maybe speed up my weight loss a bit, if you fellow dieters could fill me in on some information that about be great! Thanks.
JennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

You might want to take a look through some of the older threads in the "Does It Work" forum . . just about every diet pill known to womankind has been reviewed over there . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

I think you'll find that most of the people on this forum recommend safe healthy SLOW weight loss. I know that's very frustrating. But what you'll find is there really isn't any great wt loss pill...if there was...and it worked, non of us would be here. Find a healthy life style that will work for and your lifestyle...encorperating healthy changes in diet and exercise. Good luck!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

If you look closely...every pill I've ever seen advertised has little tiny thing at the bottom that says something along the lines of "To be used in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise". May as well just save your money and do the healthy diet and exercise part.

Can ya tell I'm not a fan of the idea of pills?
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
If you look closely...every pill I've ever seen advertised has little tiny thing at the bottom that says something along the lines of "To be used in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise". May as well just save your money and do the healthy diet and exercise part.
Yup! Add my name to this sentiment!

>
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #6  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Hi, Jenny! Cute avatar.

I know the feeling of wishing you could just get it off over night -- or at least, provide a huge jumpstart since the slow pace of healthy weight loss can get frustrating. But diet pills just don't work, as much as we may wish otherwise -- and you're much more likely to gain back anything you do lose.

A lot of diets have a planned induction phase to jumpstart your weight loss (think South Beach, etc) -- people cut down the amount of carbs they take in, then gradually re-introduce. A bigger initial loss can be motivation for going on. I don't do that, though -- for me, that's not a long-term, sustainable route. For me, eating clean with lots of whole food processed junk and counting calories is a steady way of losing the weight without having to make anything off-limits. It doesn't happen over night, but it's a change for life and something I can easily stick to.

I really hope you think twice before going down the diet pill route. Others I'm sure can tell you it's just a bad, bad idea - for your health, and for your weight! (A lot of members will testify that dieting that way is what made them gain even more weight in the end.) Good luck to you!!
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #7  

Thank you everyone, I was thinking that it might be stupid considering the statement "to be used with a healthy diet and exercise" is on every bottle! Thanks for the input, I guess I went this far without pills, might as well keep it that way! Have a great weekend everyone!

Old 07-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 136/132/118

Height: 5'7

Honestly since ephedra is no longer available, any diet pill I try does not work. They are just not as good. The only pill I can say works well is Alli. Not sure if you heard of it, but it blocks the fat you eat. I have heard many say they have received great results from it.
Slim81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:00 PM   #9  

Yeah that is the one I was mainly thinking on is Alli, its pretty expensive but it is s'posed to be great!
Old 07-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Here's a link to a Sticky thread on Alli that might be informative:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115217

You could also use the Search feature to look for posts and threads.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #11  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Personally, I have no experience with any diet pills but I just have to jump in and say that I always get annoyed when I see ads in FITNESS magazines (such as Oxygen, for example) for all these miraculous fat-burning, metabolism-increasing pills and they show the Before and After photos. Do the manufacturers think we are a bunch of idiots? Clearly, the guy in the picture did not get biceps the size of cantaloups and a washboard stomach from popping diet pills. Arrrrrgh.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I think the marketing department does believe we are a bunch of idiots! It is up to us to prove them wrong.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:22 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Clearly, the guy in the picture did not get biceps the size of cantaloups and a washboard stomach from popping diet pills. Arrrrrgh.
Now that's funny.

For the record though, I don't think so much it is that the manufacturers and advertisers think we are stupid as they know we live in a world where most people have enjoyed (and want, unfortunately!) instant gratification. There are so many people out there (and I was one of them!) who didn't want to work hard to get fit and instead wanted a 'quick fix'.

The only thing you can do is recognize it in yourself, work to change it and set a better example for your children.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #14  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapless View Post
For the record though, I don't think so much it is that the manufacturers and advertisers think we are stupid as they know we live in a world where most people have enjoyed (and want, unfortunately!) instant gratification. There are so many people out there (and I was one of them!) who didn't want to work hard to get fit and instead wanted a 'quick fix'.
You are right, Suzanne, and unfortunately it is true that we want (or should say 'most people want') instant gratification. Good for you to stray from that path. I do realize all this (and of course also the fact that for a lot of people the vision of weight loss associated with a little pill is much more desirable than weight loss resulting from hours of sweaty exercise) but still, for some reason every time I am flipping through the pages and see the ads my blood pressure goes slightly up. Can't help it.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #15  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Look at the "Does it Work" forum as Meowee suggested and see if you can find the medication you're thinking of taking there (chances are, someone's written about it).

But honestly, any pill you're thinking of taking is probably not necessary. I understand your desire to try it out and see, but imo it is always bad and harmful to take medications unnecessarily. And as the ladies here prove, it is SOOO possible to lose large amounts of weight without anything but consistency, good diet and exercise!

Edit: Also, I have never successfully ordered ANYTHING off a commercial, so if it's being advertized on the TV chances are, imo, it won't work. You're better off investing in some good weightloss books and DVDs that preach diet and exercise.

Last edited by KLK; 07-06-2008 at 10:29 AM.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote