Old 07-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #1  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Thumbs up The Research Behind The Atkins Nutritional Approach

Recently several of us on Atkins (or similar low carb plans) got sucked into the "Atkins Diet: Good or Bad?" thread under the UK Fat Chicks catagory. I thought it fitting to clear up any confusion concerning the low carb lifestyle (Atkins, in particular) by posting the notable research links Atkins lists on their website.
http://70.47.24.96/atkins/noteable-r...h-articles.php

Hopefully, those with questions concerning Atkins & low carb eating will have a better understanding of the plan based on the research listed in those articles and those of us on the plan will be re-inforced with the science of how & why Atkins works!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi JerseyGyrl!

Thanks for the link! I can't believe the negative reactions I have gotten when I tell people I have started on Atkins (I am on my fourth day of induction right now - maybe you saw my post the other day)! My mom just said "I wish you would just do weight watchers! Atkins is just unhealthy!" And usually she is very supportive about diets. My cousin was confusing Ketoacidosis with Ketosis. Luckily I had just read the part about that in the book so I was able to quote it word for word!
Sunrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Great idea to post this! Things were getting a bit silly on the other thread. I believe the original poster is no longer a member, by the way. Not for that thread but for other reasons. Could be wrong - better go check and come back and edit this.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #4  

Default I told my doctor

I told my doctor I was on Atkins and he encouraged me to get enough water and make sure I'm getting enough calories. I told him that I'm having veggies and protein and he congratulated me. I read somewhere that most doctors don't recommend Atkins because they don't think thier patients will stick with it not because they think it's unhealthy. My sister's doctor suggested to her that she do Atkins for weight loss. It's good having medical support, I don't worry about what lay people say.

Last edited by msruthie; 07-02-2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling
msruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I read a really interesting review of a study (and still haven't found the actual study), that found that variety and quantity of vegetable/fruit consumption was found to be a better predictor of overall health than the quantity of animal protein and dietary fat consumption.

I thought this was incredibly interesting, and of potential relevance to Atkins and other low-carb plans. While there are some vegetables low-carbers need to limit, there's no reason a person on a low carb plan can't eat huge quantities and variety of vegetables. In fact, I can truthfully say that since restricting carbs, I have eaten more vegetables than I would otherwise.

And oddly it's not because I didn't like vegetables before. I LOVED vegetables and always have, but in highschool (around 1982 or 1983) I started getting terrible abdominal pains, and was tested for everything from appendicitis to mono. I was finally diagnosed with non-ulcerative colitis (which I think more accurately would be diagnosed as irritable bowel syndrome, today). Over the next few years I learned that I could neither eat much junk food (the fat would make me very sick with the same abdominal pains) nor too many vegetables, fruits, or salads (even worse).

However, when low carbing, I don't seem to have nearly the problem with even huge amounts of vegetables. I suspect, but am not sure, that the difference is fat or the fat/protein ration. I still can end up with mild to moderate issues, but the "I'm going to die" abdominal cramps only happen on low-fat eating. So, I'm actually eating a lot more vegetables than I ever could on low-calorie, low fat plans.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Thank you for the link Kim. Yes, I was one of the people sucked into that thread, sorry to say.

Just for the record, I'll reiterate that my doctor was consulted before and several times since I began this woe and he wholeheartedly approves of the dietary changes as well as the exercise plan.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

That thread went hinky in so many ways. It wasn't that some of the anti-low-carbers didn't (or rather couldn't have had if they had chosen) reasonable arguments, rather not a single argument in favor of a low-carb approach was acknowledged in any way. It was simply ignored in favor of name calling.

I chose low-carb on the basis of the recommendations of two doctors I respect very highly, on their word that the cutting-edge research was that low-carb plans were healthier and more successful for my insulin resistance.

I didn't feel the need to "do the research," and to a degree I was assuming the much of the anti-low-carb argument was legitimate. I didn't care what was true for many or even most people, if it was working for me (and by working I don't just mean weight loss, but health and bloodwork improvements). The ironic thing about the other thread's argument, is that it sent me to the research, and I am now EVEN MORE convinced that low-carb is right for me, even to the point that I would no longer hesitate to recommend it (provided the person was aware and willing to follow the diet sensibly including a pre-diet physical just to rule out kidney disease).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote