General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #1  
DETERMINED

Default Bikini wax

Hi everyone - Was just wondering whether anyone has had a bikini wax before. I've booked one for this saturday and its my first time. Whats the shortest the hair can be? AND what should i expect?

thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

I tried to do a home kit once and about screamed.

I'll stick with razors for now.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:14 AM   #3  

Hair needs to be at least 1/4". I am an esthetician and can say everyone reacts differently. It is not an especially comfortable experience, but I personally don't think it's horrible. Explain to your esthetician what you want (how far up you want her to go, etc.). Ask her about after care. Some people are prone to ingrown hairs, so you want to see what she recommends.

Some people take some tylenol or motrin about an hour before their wax and that helps take the edge off.

Good luck!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

also make sure to exfoliate and moisturize well the few days before the big wax.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:05 PM   #5  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I've also heard that you can buy otc numbing creams... I'm going for a wax before I fly to Hawaii - never had it before LOL

Old 07-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Honestly I don't think they're that bad. I get a Brazilian about every 6 weeks. And I am the biggest pain wimp you'd ever meet.

You can take Advil or Tylenol about an hour before and that will help with the discomfort. Do exfoliate the day before but NOT the day off the wax. And be gentle with washing the day after, but after that do exfoliate with a rough washcloth to keep the hairs from becoming ingrown as they grow back.

Some people really come through it without a twinge and feel fine the next day, but some people need a recovery period. And actually some people do find the experience somewhat of a turnon in some ways.

I would say don't plan to have sex right after, however!

Old 07-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #7  
DETERMINED

ooh thank you. I was also wondering, after this one could i get another done in a few weeks tims?
Old 07-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #8  

It depends on how fast your hair grows, but it usually takes anywhere from 3-6 weeks to have enough growth.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #9  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I'm getting this done in August. Very nervous! I tried doing it at home myself and it was the worst idea I've had yet! Hopefully the professionals are a bit better at it than I was, haha.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #10  

Oh goodness having it done by a pro is SOOOOO different from doing it at home. I can't imagine doing my own wax. Of course having someone else fiddling down around there is always interesting ... but you do get used to it. I go to the same person every time, so it's not like she's much of a stranger anymore. *grin*

I have had mine done as close together as 3.5 weeks, but my hair apparently grows fast! On average I get mine 5-6 weeks apart.

The nice thing is that after having them done repeatedly, they get easier because the hair growth is a little sparser.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:29 AM   #11  
DETERMINED

hmm. i hope im long enough! ive not shaved or anything for 3 and a bit weeks and you can notice. im so scared shes going to send me away! why did i put myself up for this.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i use to wax a lot when i had extra money and loved it. I use to have to go only about every 5-6 weeks. The first few times....it will be uncomfortable. But you get uses to it and the hair follicles get "looser" and it hurts less the more you do it. Also, if you wax frequently, sometimes you will damage the hair follicle and the hair won't grow back. I use to have a lot more hair there...but since i waxed for over 3 years, it has gotten thinner due to to "damaged' follicle. I usully apply benedryl ointment the night after waxing to help calm down the redness. Then afterwards i highly recommend a product called TendSkin. It helps reduce ingrown hairs. Not many people have a problem with that, but due to my very thick crazy hair that grows different direction i have a bad time with ingrow hair. Also, one thing to watch out for...a good waxer. Your waxer shouldn't take large chunck of hair at a time. She really should do it in smaller patches. I unfortunately have had some bad wax jobs...but use to lover the one i went to for 2 years. Some waxers actually have a spray that they give you to apply before waxing that has a bit of numbing agent. But even if not...its really not that bad. Definately uncomfotable...but it doesn't last long and it does get better (:
Old 07-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #13  

Quote:
Then afterwards i highly recommend a product called TendSkin. It helps reduce ingrown hairs.
I swear by TendSkin. It's a little spendy, but a bottle lasts forever. I use it because I get ingrowns, too.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #14  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Ohhh, that's a really great recommendation. I'll definitely look it up.

So, hypothetically, theoretically, () if I was to get a brazillian on the 20th, and see my guy on the 22nd, everything should be calmed down by then, right?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #15  

Hypothetically, theoretically ...

Like I said, it's different for everyone, but for me, I can (and have) had sex the very next day. It's sometimes a little tender, but not painful. My guy knows to be careful if I've been freshly waxed.

Closed Thread