General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-30-2008, 11:59 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default Beer For My Horses!

Dont'cha just love that Toby Keith song? Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses! Doesn't get much better than that...well maybe his I Love This Bar!

I really don't know where I want to go with this thread but as I approach my 1 year anniversary of my "journey of better choices" I realize my biggest anchor in my weight loss is my beer....dang!

Now, I'm not the brightest domino in the deck, but that little epiphany didn't just sneak up on me

It is something I have known for a while...gosh knows I have mentioned it to you all enough. You have all been so encouraging too! Thank-you

There is more to my story, which I will share if the thread goes in that direction.

I think I want to start it as an alcohol accountability thread for me. To help me get to my goal weight in my "journey of better choices."

I love my beer in bottles. About 2 years ago I started drinking more of it in cans...cheaper and I donate the cans to our church. Our school recycles them and uses the money to purchase playground equipment.

I'm not saying I am drinking too much although Angie would

I will say that our church has the best playground equipment in the county! For Lutheran Schools Week service a while back the kids gave me a standing ovation Our church is mailing me discount coupons for MGD and Budweiser...always thinking of me!

Saturday I had 11 beers...it was easy! Got me to thinking that might not be a good thing.... ya think!

Yesterday I had 7 waters and 2 Coke 0's ~ today I had 1 beer after work but I drank it on the treadmill....ever done the buzzed? Need way more than 1 for that, for me.

I thought if I keep an accountability journal here for awhile I might do better. I will post a for every day that I drink more than 2 beers and a for every day I don't...starting with this past Sunday...

Time to make some more "better choices"

~
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Good idea for a thread, Gary. I have cut WAY down on alcohol in last 2-3 years. Not drinking is pretty much a habit for me now, although I love the occasional gin and tonic or wine (or whatever!). I know there are lots of 3FC'ers who would prefer to lose the alcohol calories.

How many beers do you have on a normal day? If you are used to having, say, 3-6 beers an evening (more on weekends), maybe you could start by just having an every other day thing... no alcohol at least 3 days out of the week (or something like that).
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

CLAIRE you are pretty right on as far as the amount. I usually never drink much before 5:00...but those weak beers I drink go down way easy for the first 3. About 50% of the time I stop there...the other 50% you just never know.

I am one of those...the more I drink, the more I drink...kind of guy.

Today I had one....then a water...a Coke 0 and didn't have the desire for another beer. If I would have followed the first beer up with another I would still be drinking right now....4 hours later!

Thank-you!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

LOL I LOVE that song.. my favorite part is a willy nelson one

Grandpappy told my pappy, back in my day, son
A man had to answer for the wicked that he done
Take all the rope in Texas
Find a tall oak tree, round up all of them bad boys
Hang them high in the street for all the people to see that

How many people would be shooting up the streets or robbing people if they knew a hangman's noose was waiting for them.. like back in the day..
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:32 AM   #5  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

i know this is not what the thread is about, but when i was a kid my dad used to always have a beer in his hand when he was working around our farm. if it wasnt in his hand it was in his back pocket or sitting on the ground nearby. one of our horses, her name was montana miss, missy for short, well anyway she had a thing for his beer, would try to pull the bottle out of his back pocket, and if he would forget and set it on the ground she would knock it over and drink it.
anyone else have any boozer horses?
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

PIPER~ This thread can be for ANYTHING! Thanks for the story!

Jonsgurl ~ Angie and I listened to this CD on our way to Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Had lunch in Toby Keith's bar, as we always do when we go...way cool! Love Willie...from way back!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #7  
prepare for the BEST time

I donate cans also, but mostly catfood cans.....i'm not much of a soda drinker...ahhh, but the wine....an ice cold glass of chardonnay or 2 or 3....I tell myself that the 3-4 ice cubes i put in each drink count as part of my *water* for the day....(shame on me)!
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:14 AM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

I LOVE IT MARBLEFLYS! Maybe I should switch to Coors...that 'ol advertisement..."It's The Water"
Old 07-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #9  

nope, Coors is not even fit for horses! (i'll refrain from my opinion on the taste comparison to horse's.....). If it's beer for me, I prefer Pete's Wicked Ale or Dos Eqiuex(spelling is nonexist) or for something lighter that Miller Chill.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Angie loves MILLER CHILL
Old 07-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Gary - do you think you could limit yourself to beer on Fridays and Saturdays and then one week night per week? That way if you had some beers on Tuesday, you would know that on Wed and Thu they were off limits, but you would have Friday to look forward to?
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Gary~while I prefer Michelob Ultra Amber for regular beer and Kostritzer when visiting the Yard House, I can generally stop at one beer. I'll join you on an alcohol accountability thread, though (my vice is wine). Like you said, the more you drink, the more you drink...one glass of wine is rarely enough and neither is two. Zero is much better for me (and my waist line). I'm heading to Oklahoma on Sunday for 6 days. I'm not going to have wine while I'm there and when I return, I will do without until after I return from Alaska--that means about the entire month of July without wine or wine in moderation (I'm sure I'll have wine with dinner while on my cruise, though). And if I can keep it up in July, then August will be wine-less as well.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #13  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I Love This Bar is one of my favorite countrys.

Gary - you're strong, you can do it! We're always here to cheer you on!
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #14  

I tend to whine without wine......
Old 07-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #15  
BabyGotTooMuchBack

S/C/G: 159.08/159.0/135.0

Height: 5'2"

Wine is definitely my downfall. I run a 500+ member wine-tasting group here in Phoenix, and we hold at least one event a week. I belong to several other tasting groups, as well. I could find friends to drink with almost every day if I wanted to, but it's hard on my waistline as well as my wallet!
I do what Walking2Lose described: one night during the week (and try to limit it to 2-3 glasses - which is easy since I have to get up early and be sharp for work) and then 2 days on the weekend (not all 3). I may not be losing as much weight as I could if I cut it out completely, but it's still enough to keep me happy. Bonus: Spending less time in a mildly hungover fog allows me to get to the gym more frequently. I can tell you all I wanted to do was crawl back into bed after the occasional 7-glass night.
gypsylthr is offline   Reply With Quote