Old 06-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/175

Height: 5'3

Default Who gives you the most support???

For me it's my husband Ian... bless him, he is 6'5 and 200lbs and can eat anything he wants and not gain an ounce... but he is so supportive of me... today i was bent over picking something up off the floor and he gave my bum a love tap.. i said..'sexy isnt it'???... he said yes.. i said he didnt have to lie to me, and laughed.. he told me he wasnt lying.. he said i am sexy to him and he supports my weight loss for two reasons only.. 1- so i can be healthy to be with him longer.. and 2- because I want it so bad..
he helps me figure out my cals on fitday.. helps me work out exercise routines, makes me eat enough cals ( weird i know, but i forget to eat sometimes), and when he eats chocolate or something i cant eat, he wont eat it in front of me.. he goes downstairs and stands at the kitchen sink to eat it...i used to make him a full english breakfast every morning, but he made me quit cause he said it isnt fair for me to have to smell it cooking then not eat it..
i guess the synopsis is this... with my husband and all of you from 3fc for support, plus my desire, i know i will succeed..
jimaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

It's my hubby, hands down. Although my mother and sister are also super supportive. They just don't have to live with me and my constant talk about food and dieting like DH does LOL!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #3  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I do. no one else in my life cares if I gain or lose weight.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/175

Height: 5'3

WE do ladybugnessa
jimaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/140

Height: 5"7

hands down my hubby! He is amazing. He knows just when to be encouraging, sensitive, or to just let me vent!
aerogora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

ME, then hubby, followed by our cat, ChubChub.

I say that because hubby and I are both on this journey. We've joined TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly) and we even accepted positions as officers to help solidify out commitment, and just to give back to the club we both enjoy so much.

We try to be supportive of each other, but there are days when our heart is barely in it for ourselves, let alone each other. Or as much as we try to be supportive of the other, our own journey has to come first or we get distracted. I do think we do a pretty good job, though. We struggle with being our own worst enemies, as it's very difficult when one of us wants the other to join in a bad choice, like going out to eat somewhere unwise for the other to say "no thank you, I'd rather not," instead of "sure, what the heck."
We're learning, though.

I say our cat, because we got her from the humane society about two months ago, and she weighed nearly 18 lbs. We agreed going in that we would choose the cat that chose us, and she was the first cat we met. Like us, she was middle aged and fat, but she instantly wanted our attention and spent equal time and attention between us (unlike another cat we'd seen at PetSmart, that picked my husband but wasn't at all interested in me). She had a growly crabby meow that reminded us of the cliche of a 60 year old, bleached-blond trailer park chain smokin' granny.

We put her on a "senior" formula catfood and low calorie treats. It's only been two months, and the transformation has been amazing. She's a different cat (and now cat-shaped to boot). As she's losing weight, she's become more mobile, more active and more interested in playing, and just has a new lease on life. It's really like she's a different cat.

It's reminded me what a 10% reduction in weight did for me. Seeing it happen so fast, it's really inspiring me to put alot more effort into my own transformation.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimaterry View Post
WE do ladybugnessa

oh I know you guys do.... but on a day to day IRL basis, it's all me. and I'm really cool with it. cause see, they don't NOT support me either. it just IS.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

This is a good question, really.

My hubby is mostly very supportive. In the past, my attempts at eating healthfully and losing weight were kind of short lived. This time...I have been at this more of a long, long time. I am grateful to have lost this much weight over many monthes (longer than I've been coming to 3fc) I think at one point he was thinking..."When are we going to get back to normal around here?" I keep telling him....this IS normal now.That being said....he now mostly keeps his treats out of the house.

My sweet mamma loves to go out to dinner...and she now always asks if I can find something that I can eat at the particular restaurant. It kind of drives me crazy because she calls it my "diet". But, she's 85...so, it's OK.

But, it's mostly up to me to make sure the food I want and need is here and what I don't want in the house is gone as often as I can.

Of course...this forum and a another WL have been my main support. Thanks SO much to all of you here at 3fc.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-30-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

You guys are so, so lucky, with the supportive husbands. Truly. Please go and give your hubbies a great, big kiss and hug. That's so wonderful.

My support has all come from my blog readers, this forum, and a much smaller forum on AOL. In my real life it is all me. But that is just making me stronger.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:15 PM   #10  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

My support comes from this forum. I'm in tears reading the touching stories of you ladies that have such supportive mates to help you along the way. I think you are probably the exceptionn rather than the rule. I think a lot of people feel alone in this struggle and this forum is the only thing outside ourselves that keeps us OP.
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Getting my husband on board is a bit of a miracle.

We met through a personal ad I placed in which I made it clear that I was fat (I gave height, weight and other vital stats) and dieting looking for someone who was in the same situation or sympathetic to it.

Well when I met hubby, he was fat, but not dieting, nor interested in dieting. I was just relieved to meet someone who wasn't repulsed or exclusively attracted to "fat chicks."

In the past, he would agree to go to Weight Watchers or TOPS with me, but he'd make it clear that he was there to support me, not because he was interested in such things. It was very demotivating.

Finally I decided that it didn't matter why he was willing to cooperate, I was going to take advantage of it.

It's still a struggle, especially since like the Slim Quick commercial, he can lose weight with a lot more dietary freedom than I can, so he still brings home burgers or Taco Bell occasionally as a surprise "treat." Sometimes his idea of supporting me and mine are very different.

I think that's why ultimately making, being, and finding our own support is very important. Support groups, this site, keeping a journal... these are support that we can bring into our lives whether or not our significant other and families are able to be a true support.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #12  
3.14.10 Bride to Be

S/C/G: 316.4/311.6/200

Height: 5'7"

My fiance has been supporting me through my weight loss, because he has been on the same journey as well. His stats right now are 340/269/240. He kind of tends to support me in some negative ways... Like if I am unhappy with my rate of weight loss, he *****es at be because i didn't go to the gym that I have been paying $74/month for... and that even though he binges, he works off the calories via exercize. I know he's not recognising it as negative critcizm, but I do

Anyway, my parents both really support me... My dad is trying to lose weight but he swears by adkins and says he has some sort of modified way he does it and it "works" for him, but he is not losing anything... He eats protein protein fat fat, and then he eats a carb laden sugar free chocolate. Just because its sugar free does not mean its carb free!!! Ugh... And then my mom, she has been gaining weight because she moved to Michigan to be closer to her dad for a while before he passes, and her aunt makes her home cooked meals every night and she's probably put on a good 20 or so pounds, so even though she supports me with words, she doesn't really show it with her actions. All she says is she needs to get back to a size 12, and that her size 14s are hurting her. Oy.

My brother just tells me he's proud of me for taking the initiative to lose weight, that he can tell a difference, and that he's motivated to drink more water and less sodas, even though he's the fittest one in the family (he has a different father so I'm guessing the wonderful stick thin genetics he got from his dad has something to do with it. Boy eats nothing but pizza and microwave meals and doesn't gain a pound. He's been 200 pounds since he was a teen and he's 30 now. Ugh)

I don't really have friends, so I don't get support via that route. Only two friends I have are pencil thin and have to worry about eating enough to stay alive, because they never eat and its not like they try to be thin, it just happens that way and they are picky eaters. they have no clue what it is like to be overweight, so they can not support me and they have shown no interest in my weight loss. Go figure.

I just think its funny I'm held as the authoritative figure on nutrition in my family, and I'm the most overweight!
Naytally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
but on a day to day IRL basis, it's all me. and I'm really cool with it. cause see, they don't NOT support me either. it just IS.
YUp. Same here. I don't have any family (my parents are dead, not close to my sib, and I haven't spoken to cousins etc. in years). My husband and I are separated and although we're still quite friendly and get along well, he's not supportive in that way (not that he's unsupportive or negative, just not rah-rah for me).

My closest girlfriend who is also my gym buddy does give me some support, but it's hard for her because she hasn't lost any weight (she has other health issues and isn't really as committed as I am) and so she's lukewarm at best.

Honestly I like that it's all about me. It means that my motivation and commitment is 100% internal and not reliant on outside support. It makes me feel stronger and more able to stick with it.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:17 PM   #14  
Woman on a mission

Height: 5'10"

MY whole family and very loving bf
MaNdA22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #15  
FB

My husband is my biggest supporter. He'll run to the ends of the earth to do anything. A good example is tonight scallops were on the grocery list, the poor guy ran to 4 different stores to find them (seafood counters were closed). I certainly didn't expect that of him.

He never complains when I'm gone at night at the gym or biking while he takes care of our little guy, he's never said a negative word about the dining room becoming a home gym or the massive jars of protein powders and vitamins taking over the counter space. He's never blinked twice at expensive equipment purchases, he'll even go get them.

I love that dude.

My second biggest supporter is my closest friend (next to hubby). She trains with me, logs her food with me and will exercise with me on a moment's notice although I know she has a gizillion other things to do. When I get discouraged she's the first to tell me how much I rock.

And there's ALL of you lovely people helping along the way, answering 2 a.m. questions, sharing the same victories, setbacks, doubts and fears.

Thank goodness for you all.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote