Old 06-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #1  

Default Quick Weight Loss Help!

The last time that I was here, I had reached my goal weight about 18 months after having my 3rd child. I had my 4th child 16 months ago and I still need to lose the weight.

I have a special even coming up and I want to lose 50 pounds in 8 weeks. I know that it is not the best choice and not particularly healthy, but I am planning on going healthy after this event. So, is this possible and if so, how do I do it? Any suggestions?

TIA,
Nicole
kanpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I don't think it's possible to lose weight that kind of weight without any negative health consequences. You'll probably also lose a lot of muscle mass and water. However, I've heard that The Master Cleanser is a detox plan that is very quick. I think Beyonce' did it before Dream Girls.

I don't want to preach to you (but I can't help it), but I do think it shouldn't matter what others think. If you lost the weight before, you can do it again...healthfully. If you lose weight the heatlhy way, you'll be less likely to have to do it again.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Nicole, whether it is possible depends on your height and starting weight now. Unless you are EXTREMELY overweight, it is most likely not possible to lose over 6 lbs. per week for 8 straight weeks. And certainly not healthy to do so.
Example: To lose 6 lbs per week, you will need to cut 3000 calories per day from your intake. It is doubtful that you need or eat more than 3000 calories. Thus, this would be an almost impossible feat without an incredible amount of exercise each and every day. Unless you were under a doctor's supervision for the entire process, you could end up with some very serious health issues - ones that could affect you for the rest of your life.

How about picking a realistic goal, and starting now to shop for a killer dress that makes you look amazing. A great hair cut, new makeup - a total makeover. I have found - no matter what my weight - people think I look fantastic when I think I look fantastic. Size has little to do with it. Confidence and attitude are way more important than physical size.
(p.s. - a great body shaper does wonders too )

Last edited by CountingDown; 06-28-2008 at 07:47 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

It's simply not possible and to even attempt that level of loss would mean eating at incredibly unhealthy levels.

I don't think you'll find anyone here who will advise you on how to achieve that kind of loss. All of the women here who I have seen are very serious about losing weight in a healthy and sustainable way.

In 8 weeks, you can lose 10-15 lbs if you are dedicated and work hard. You might even lose a little more than that, as a lot of people have a larger percentage of loss when they first begin losing.

What kind of food do you eat now and exercise do you do? Give us more info and I know we'll be happy to help you figure out a healthy plan to get started with!

Last edited by PhotoChick; 06-28-2008 at 08:00 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #5  

Sorry to join in with an unsupportive response -- but what would be better, to lose 10 to 15 pounds and feel 100% better in eight weeks, or lose too much, too fast, not feel well for the special event, and the next time you see these same people, you will most likely have put much of that unhealthy weight loss back on?? Instead of trying to lose a lot fast, maybe just start tomorrow on what you would consider a healthy eating plan and go from there -- it is a great example for your kids!!

Last edited by shelby897; 06-28-2008 at 09:48 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #6  

Quote:
Sorry to join in with an unsupportive response
Actually I think it's a VERY supportive response to say "that's not a healthy plan" and to suggest alternatives. Sometimes support means *not* saying "yes, that's ok".

>
Old 06-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Actually I think it's a VERY supportive response to say "that's not a healthy plan" and to suggest alternatives. Sometimes support means *not* saying "yes, that's ok".
I agree. You are wanting to lose almost a pound a day. It is very common for people to want to lose 30, or 50 or whatever pounds in 6 weeks, or 8 weeks for an event.

But, what you need to remember is that you did not gain 50 pounds in 8 weeks...and you are not going to lose in in that amount of time, either. If you commit to healthy diet and exercise, however, you could lose 10-15 pounds by that time. If you combined that with doing your nails, getting a new haircut, new outfit, etc. then you are going to look fabulous.

Also-about Beyonce and the Master Cleanse thing. A lot of celebrities have tried this (Pepa from Salt N Pepa, Beyonce, etc.) and the general verdict is that you GAIN IT BACK. Almost immediately.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Like everyone else said, you're better off really focusing on healthy, maintainable weight loss. Do plenty of strength training, too -- muscle tone will help you look fit and strong, which is always fashionable (unless you're a fashion model, ironically).

Then, you can look a few pounds thinner with the right clothing and undergarments. There are a lot of things that will suck you in, smooth you out, etc so that you look a little lighter. Sometimes a tan helps -- start trying fake tanners early if necessary to find one that works. Some hair styles will make your face look thinner. Also, make sure your clothes for the event fit well (alterations are worth the $) and flatter your body shape.

If you want to lose another few pounds right before the event, you could go low-carb and low-sodium and drink a ton of water for a few days. Maybe even look at one of those short term "cleansing" programs (that will help you lose a few pounds of water and, umm, *waste*). I've never thought it was worthwhile to spend all my time in the bathroom just to lose 5 pounds, but some people do it!

Last edited by mayness; 06-29-2008 at 12:31 PM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #9  

Apparently, there is no way to get an unbiased answer here. The only person who gave me information on how they actually thought that I could do it, had their post removed.

Thank you all for chiming in about how I should not do it...that was not my question. I appreciate your concern.
kanpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

3FC doesn't advocate dangerous diet plans. The removed post was giving bad advice. One of the rules of the 3FC forum is that posts about such plans can be removed.

You are probably not going to get a lot of positive responses telling you how to do something that's not possible without unhealthy tactics. 50 pounds in 8 weeks is too much to expect. You simply can't get your calorie intake low enough or your calorie burn high enough, without malnutrition being the result.

I hope you'll consider something more reasonable--such as 10 to 12 pounds in 8 weeks. We have forums on many different kinds of approaches here.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanpope View Post
Apparently, there is no way to get an unbiased answer here. The only person who gave me information on how they actually thought that I could do it, had their post removed.

Thank you all for chiming in about how I should not do it...that was not my question. I appreciate your concern.
They are not unbiased answers they are informed replies from many people who've been there, got the t-shirt and gained all the additional pounds and then some from following unhealthy crash diets. I've hung around this BB for nearly a year now and I've still to encounter a single long-term success who's done it by crash dieting.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #12  

Quote:
Apparently, there is no way to get an unbiased answer here.
No, actually there is no way to get a BIASED answer (as in the answer that YOU want to hear) when it will land you in the hospital or worse for malnourishment.

Sorry you're not hearing what you want to hear, but would you rather we all lied to you and told you that you could do it and then gave you advice that made you sick?

Old 07-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #13  

I wouldn't attempt to lose that kind of weight in such a short period of time. Is it possible? Maybe. But it's not healthy and honestly, it does not seem you are doing this for the right reason. When it's not done for the right reason you'll surely gain it back as soon as the event is over.

Why not settle for 15-25 pounds in that time frame, while making a comitment to lose the rest by the end of the year? With dedication and hard work you may be able to do that.

As for the Master Cleanse, I wouldn't do this to lose weight. I have done liquid fasts before. I plan to do another later this month. I do this mostly for personal, spiritual, and enlightenment reasons.

Good luck.
cmichele1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:21 PM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Your question was, is it possible to lose 50 lbs in 8 weeks, and if so, how do you do it.

The answer: It may be possible, but only by doing something so drastically unhealthy that it cannot be recommended. And I don't even mean drastic calorie restriction...even that wouldn't likely give you the sort of results you're looking for. I think to lose that much, you'd literally have to have a limb removed. And clearly, that isn't healthy.

So the answer to your question - unless you're planning to cut off some vital body parts, this really isn't possible. But you can get some healthy loss about yourself and be feeling healthy and lively in 8 weeks by making healthy changes!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #15  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

in eight weeks of healthy living on south beach I lost just under 20 pounds.... it was 16 pounds the first month and 3.4 the second.

how much you lose in 8 weeks depends on how badly you are eating before you start trying to lose.

of course losing weight in an unhealthy manner may lead to your becoming rather ill and that would not be good for you or your family.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote