Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/145/105

Height: 4'10"

Angry *cry*

Dear ladies,

I am an addict.....I love foooddd!! My appetite is way out of control.....I almost gave in and bought some diet pills....to try to help!! I feel so weak because I have no will power!! I drink water.......soooo much water! Am I just lazy.....crap!!
Missakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I love food. I'm truly addicted. It is really hard to give advice because I sort of got back on track by accident. I went to South Beach, FL over Spring Break with my family and I felt like a whale. I didn't feel human. Perhaps it was my "rock bottom?" Anyway, I binged the whole time I was there (as usual), out of desperation and unhappiness. Every store I walked into, I was treated like a low-life...or maybe that's just how I perceived it. Anyway, when I got back home, I was very depressed about myself. It took me a couple of days, but I decided to stop the insanity of the binging and gaining more and more weight. I t
ake it one day at a time and I just start doing what I know I need to do. I count calories and I work out every single day of the week. If I don't work out, I can't stay on my plan. On some days, mhy workouts might be lighter than others, but I still need to keep active on all days. To get through the cravings, I drink Fuze, chew gum, eat some veggies, distract myself, make phone calls, etc. It is not easy, but it's easier than when I first started. Most of me loves my new frame of mind, but a part of me misses the binges. HOwever, I remember that out of control feeling and I"m terrified to get it back. I did fall off the wagon a few times, but I got right back on. You gotta start small, check in with this board often and hang in there. Figure out which plan would fit your lifestyle the best and go for it. YOU CAN DO IT! Just about everyone on here has felt the way you do. Make a decision to commit to this and be consistent. It's not about will power because most of us don't have it. That's why we lean on eachother and take small steps. Don't think of big goals. Make them small, but do it. What's the alternative? Being unahappy with yourself? Start right now. Don't wait for a Monday, or for a morning or for a New Year's Day. Do it now and never look back. Just look at the road ahead of you, one step at a time.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:28 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Missakay, tell us a little more about what you're doing, food-wise. Are you following any specific plan? Are you counting calories? What would the plan be for a typical day?

Maybe we can make some suggestions...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:59 PM   #4  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Try cutting back on carbs, sugar and sodium, as much as possible. Those are usually the culprits when you've got cravings. Eating more protein, and eating frequently (every 2-3 hours) helps also. I started taking protein powder for weight lifting, to get my protein up, and I have to say, that stuff fills me up for a long time, and keeps me from going mental on something I don't need, especially after a workout. I've heard that Vitamin B helps, also, though I don't have first-hand experience with that one. Mainly, when you cut the junk out, that's 99% of the battle right there. You'll get a handle on it!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 150/145/105

Height: 4'10"

I am cutting calories and staying away from soda......but I love bread....it is my weakness! I workout 3 to 5 days a week and I walk my dog at least 3 or 4 times a day!!

I was doin so good then I got a new job and fell off wagon!!

Im sick of the yoyo!! sorry about the ranting...... Im soo frustrated and being over weight...makes me not want go out in public! I went to buy a bathing suit and started crying in the dressing room!! I hope I have hit rock bottom so maybe I can stick to a plan!!

I want a magic pill to stop me from eating junk food or a magic will power pill!! LOL

Last edited by Missakay; 06-25-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Missakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Unfortunately thre is no magic pill. I so wish there was.

The thing that I have found works best for me is planning. I plan my meals and snacks for the week on Sunday evenings. Yeah, I vary sometimes but mostly once it's planned, I find it much easier to not be tempted.

I also ... and most people here have heard this as my mantra before ... I quit thinking of going to the gym and eating healthily as an option. It's not an option. It just is. Like paying my bills, brushing my teeth, getting up in the morning and going to work. I don't have to like it or even want to do it. I just do it.

For me, taking the element of "should I" out of it has really helped.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:37 AM   #7  

S/C/G: atkins 06/ 08

Height: 5'5

Photochick That is a GREAT way to look at it... I told my husband I had only one pound to lose the next one. and as the saying goes K.I.S.S. keep it simple sweety
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:40 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 179/168/130

You mean... brushing my teeth isn't optional?

Oops.
yoyomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
You mean... brushing my teeth isn't optional?
Not if you had my mom (the dentist). Not only is brushing not optional - flossing, rinsing (with Listerine) and 6 month checkups aren't optional.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #10  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsk8r View Post
Try cutting back on carbs, sugar and sodium, as much as possible. Those are usually the culprits when you've got cravings. Eating more protein, and eating frequently (every 2-3 hours) helps also. I started taking protein powder for weight lifting, to get my protein up, and I have to say, that stuff fills me up for a long time, and keeps me from going mental on something I don't need, especially after a workout. I've heard that Vitamin B helps, also, though I don't have first-hand experience with that one. Mainly, when you cut the junk out, that's 99% of the battle right there. You'll get a handle on it!
I second Cheryl's advice. When I cut back on the sugary, starchy and processed foods and incorporated more protein and fiber, my cravings and compulsive urges were drastically reduced. It took a while to detox, and I actually did it slowly and progressively, but I'm at the point now where I don't feel strong urges to eat unhealthy food (unless it's right in front of me, of course!)
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:09 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
I feel so weak because I have no will power!!
Ahhh, but it's not about willpower. It's about willingness.

What are you willing to do to get to your goals? Just how hard are you willing to work? How far are you willing to go to get what you want? What are you willing to give up - in order to gain?

Quote:
I am an addict.....I love foooddd!!
I love food too!! And believe that I was/am/was addicted to it. But like all addicitons, think alcoholisim, drugs, cigarettets, they CAN be managed. And I believe the best way to do that is to give it up entirely (the bread that you love and the other carbs). At least initially. Until you gain control. I simply could not have it both ways, those carbs in my life and BE fit, healthy and trim. After a rough 10 days or so, like all addictions, it got much, MUCH easier. It was the best decision I've ever made. And of course I can kick me for not doing it sooner. I believe you will feel the same exact way.

Quote:
I hope I have hit rock bottom so maybe I can stick to a plan!!
Find a plan, MAKE a plan that you CAN stick to. Plan ahead. Good healthy, nutritious, satisfying DELICIOUS meals. Know what you will eat in advance. Every, meal, snack and morsel that goes into your mouth.

Good luck to you and please know, that everyone and anyone CAN lose weight. It IS a doable thing. Make the commitment to do so. You won't regret it. Not for a teeny, tiny second.

As far as loving food. Well, my tastes have changed! I now love, love, LOVE the foods that I am eating now. Probably more so then the garbage I was eating prior. Getting rid of the junk woke up my tastebuds to the wonderful, natural foods that the good earth provides.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

My roommate is a size 4, and LOVES food. She eats everything. She's a teacher and she downs all the goodies people bring in and leave in the faculty room (or classroom, lol). She keeps junk around and leaves a bowl of chocolate kisses on the kitchen table as decoration (and occasional snacking). I was talking to her the other night about it, and she said, "I could never diet. I'm addicted to food and can't deprive myself. So I just work out harder. But," she continued, "when I eat a brownie, I only have one, maybe two. I can't eat the whole pan. [my boyfriend] can eat the whole pan. I could never do that, physically. After one or two, I'm good."

What she said definitely stuck with me. Why do we (most of us here, including myself) feel the need to eat the whole pan of brownies when we do have one? Shouldn't our bodies naturally savor and enjoy one or two, then be done with it? I think our bodies still have the capability to do this, it's just that with us, we push the feeling away.

I know you are following a diet, but maybe try also incorporating some "Intuitive Eating" into it? Like, if you want bread, and it's not in your plan for the day, maybe go ahead and just have it. But make sure it's a serving a girl who doesn't worry about weight would take. My roommate would most likely eat a slice or two of bread if she wanted it, not half the loaf. If you allow yourself to have the things your body craves, but in an amount you would eat when you are at goal weight, then you will relearn how to eat naturally. You are already working out like a fiend, and good for you!! So now you just need to heal yourself with overeating. You'll do fine- just get back in touch with your body, and try to ignore the emotions.

It's incredible- when I started realizing how much I relied on overeating at night when I'm by myself as entertainment, I was able to stop it. I think you'll be able to do the same!
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #13  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

the 1st thing i tried to do when i want to limit my hunger is, before eating, i drink 1-2 glasses of water, and i'll eat less than i use to, then right after eating, i'll drink 2 more glasses of water/tea.
Whenever i want to eat a snack (like cakes, sweets), i'll grab a fruit (actually, banana fits in this job really good because banana is sweet and it can fill my carve for sweet), OR, i'll eat an yogurt (my yogurt usually 100-130 cal/each - just make sure to count).
I usually use bowl to eat, a small bowl. For every meal, i usually eat 3 bowls. The small bowl gives me the quantity of bowl (3 bowls, sounds alot, right), and the lesser quantity i eat, and i will stick to that number no matter what.

Start by changing your small habbits, and build them up. I hope some of my tips can help u. Good luck

Last edited by Annita; 06-25-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #14  
Supporter

S/C/G: 196/154/147

Height: 6' 0"

I don't want to sound negative but it all boils down to which one you want more - to eat or to lose weight. Try asking yourself that question the next time you are about to scoff something. You may be surprised at the result. As others have said, don't take this any more than one day at a time, otherwise you will demoralize yourself. Start tomorrow, just for one day, then see how you have done by the end of the day.
AJ113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hey!

Cutting calories is good--but be sure you have a way to actually track your calories, such as a food journal or log, or an online tracker or program. It's easy to be off if you're guessing or trying to keep it in your head. Try visiting FitDay.com--good tools there for calorie counting.

Leaving out bread is one strategy, but clearly a hard one for you. You might do better by allowing "a" slice of bread every day (not 2, not 3, not more). A single slice of whole grain bread has something like 110 or 120 calories--quite manageable.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote