South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #1  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

Default I hate dairy....

Hi, I am having a problem with the 2 cups of dairy per day....I hate the taste of milk, plain yogurt etc....in phase 2 I can add fruit to the yogurt but i have just started phase 1......are there any veggies or anything that will give me the benefits of the dairy? I do eat cottage cheese and cheese so I would have thought that would be enough dairy but it isn't even under the dairy heading. any ideas?
greeneyes490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #2  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Cottage cheese and cheese don't have the calcium content or the carb content of milk and yogurt, IIRC...thus they're not counted the same as milk and yogurt.

Possibilities for milk and yogurt:

Make a creamy veggie soup using milk as part of the base. In the newer book, there's a recipe for creamy broccoli soup that I thought was very good. Could probably also make creamy tomato soup.

Use yogurt as the base for salad dressings. I have two that I enjoy very much--one is 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt + 1 tbsp mayonnaise + chipotle tabasco sauce. The other is 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt + 1 tbsp olive oil + a couple cloves minced garlic.

Use yogurt in place of sour cream on nachos. On phase 1, instead of using chips to scoop up the beans-cheese-yogurt-salsa-avocado nacho mix, use carrots or rounds of zucchini.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #3  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

I've been using dry milk as a thickener in soups and dips... That counts as dairy..

It's also in the warm brownie recipe... which is my new favorite
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Technically you will get no benefits from dairy anyway, since it naturally causes a calcium deficiency. See http://www.drfuhrman.com/ and Dr Oz.
Better sources of calcium that will not cause a deficiency are veggies, beans, and tofu. You don't have to cut out dairy since it can provide lean protein, but it has minimal absorbable nutrients. Other sources will be more beneficial.

Edited by Ruthxxx to add:
So there are other ways. Thanks, Michelle.

Last edited by Ruthxxx; 06-24-2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added link to reference
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #5  

I buy the Torani or DaVinci sugarfree syrups and add some to my milk. I like the vanilla or chocolate or Irish Creme ones best.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Greek yogurt has a superior taste over regular yogurt if you can find it. I have found the Oikos brand at my Super Walmart. I add Splenda and vanilla extract, but you could flavor it numerous ways.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #7  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

Marathon Mom......where is the recipe for the warm brownie that you speak of lol???? I am dying for something like that.....or is it a phase 2 thing???
greeneyes490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #8  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Someone suggested flavoring plain yogurt with SF jello and splenda. It actually tastes pretty good.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #9  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I was wondering the same, actually. What about lactose intolerance, or someone who just generally wants to cut cows milk out of their diet?

Have you tried other forms of dairy?? Goats milk is a favorite around my house, as is soy (yeah, yeah, I know it isn't dairy). They both provide calcium and other benefits of dairy, without the problems that cows milk can bring. I know that my allergies flair up badly if I drink/eat too much cows milk, so I try and stick to soy and goats milk, which are both easier on my digestive system as well.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

Hi there. I posted in the Check-In thread that I'm a vegan and on Phase 1. So I don't eat dairy. I use unsweetened soy milk instead and it's actually pretty good. The Silk brand in the carton has added calcium to it as well. It's nice and creamy and meets the guidelines of the SBD Phase 1 food lists. I don't drink it straight (never liked milk either...) but I do use it in protein shakes and when making a creamy soup. The taste is fairly mild (to me, at least) so there isn't a big "beany" taste to it. I think that soy dairy has improved a lot in the last few years, as I remember not being able to stomach soy milk as it was so runny and "beany" tasting. But it isn't like that now.

If you do decide to try it, though, watch out for the labels. There are some soy milks that say "plain" on them but they are sweetened with cane sugar. For Silk, you want to avoid the red carton and go for the green carton which says "unsweetened" on it.

You might also find soy milk in the baking section of your supermarket in boxes (non refrigerated). I know that Westsoy (I think that's the brand) has an unsweetened vanilla flavored milk that is pretty good as well.

There's also almond milk, but again, you want to find the one that is unsweetened,as the "plain" one has added sugar. It has a nice mild flavor to it and is also creamy.

There's rice milk, too, which, I think, may be ok carb-wise, but it's runnier. I haven't tried it but I know a lot of vegans use it.

Hope that helps!

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote