Old 06-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #1  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

Default OK...I'm a little over 39

I'm still pretty new here and have posted a couple of forums...but this one fits also...and I see many of the people who have been so supportive so far post here also.
One of my battles is a hysterectomy that I had 7 years ago. That is what began my 100 lb. weight gain. It caused 2 problems for me.

1. I am always hungry and it takes A LOT to fill me up. If I ate as much as I want to I would be in even worse shape.

2. I lose weight much slower...if at all. This causes me to get overwhelmed and loose motivation.

Has anyone else had these problems after a hysterectomy? Any suggestions?
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hey dj! I haven't had a hysterectomy, but I was trained from a young age to be a volume eater! In our house it was sort of a badge of honor when we graduated to a whole can of spaghettios, or 2 slices of pizza, then 3... The "I can eat more than you" school of thought is definitely a bad way to go, but it is the way I went - LOL! Anyway, now I try really hard, and it's certainly not always easy, to fill up on veggies. Add them into whatever you're making to disguise them, if necessary. It really does help give you a bigger portion for not a lot of calories!

And don't worry about how long it takes to lose the weight. It doesn't have to be a race. It's a long term lifestyle change, and the pounds will come off if you just keep plugging away.
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #3  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Hi DJ welcome aboard.

I still have all my bits but I have to lose about 50 more pounds.

Pop into the chat thread.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #4  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 194.6/188.2/135

Height: 5'2"

It's great to see you here djay! I was wondering how you were making out.

Much love,

Carol
Carrie3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:24 AM   #5  
Blue Blood

Hi Carol!
Great to see you again! So far so good. Joining the board has been the best thing I could do to stick to plan. Before this, I haven't been able to do that in the past 7 years!
Looks like you are loosing weight also! Read about your scale problems, Grrrr. That's frustrating!
How is the weekend going for you? Weekends are the hardest for me!
D
Old 06-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #6  
Starting Over

Weekends are harder here too. Lots more time to think about things that get you into those eating moods. It does give you some good insights into the triggers that make you reach for food though, doesn't it? I never realized before how much I ate out of just plain boredom at times.

I'm having a 4-day weekend, and I'm trying to treat myself a little. Yesterday I went to a Broadway show I'd been dieing to see, and I ordered a floor cleaner I'd been wanting to get (a scrubber/vacuum-type thing for hardwood floors. Geez! I never thought I'd see the day when I'd think buying a floor cleaner would be "treating myself"!). And today I'll go play with my nephews, which is always very happy for me. Also bought a few exercise things, and even attempted to use them this morning! One was a success, the other not so much...I am so uncoordinated!

How about you?! How's it going there?
Old 06-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #7  
Blue Blood

Carol,
I can totally relate to treating yourself with cleaning products. Anything to make the boring tedious jobs a little more exciting. Then I want share the excitement but I feel pathetic that I get such excitement from new cleaning products. It's nice to know someone else does that! And I really want to know what this scrubber/vacuum thing is since I have hardwood floors. What can I say...I just have to embrace my patheticness!
I really envy the fact that you can go to a broadway show at any time. I love NYC...but I can't imagine living there. My best friend is from NYC..In fact I am also taking a long weekend this week so I go with her to the doctor tomorrow since she just found out she is pregnant and her family still lives in NYC.
Today is a little harder to stay on plan. I am hungrier and have less energy today for some reason. so I'm gonna grab a glass of water and get busy to see if I can take my mind off of eating!
D
Old 06-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #8  
Starting Over

How did you make out yesterday djay? Were you able to keep your mind (or at least your hands and mouth!) off wanting to eat? I feel like today will be a difficult day here too. It's only 9:20 AM and I've already had breakfast and my morning snack, and I just keep feeling like grabbing for more. WE CAN DO THIS...WE CAN DO THIS...

The floor thing I ordered is a Hoover FloorMate Spinscrub Hard Floor Cleaner. Who knows if it will work like it's supposed to, but I read mostly good reviews in various places. Supposedly it can vacuum up dry stuff, and also washes/scrubs, picks up the dirty water and dries. I didn't buy it there, but HSN.com has a demo if you want to look at it: http://home-solutions.hsn.com/hoover...07539&ocm=sekw

Well, I am going to go see what I can do to keep my mind off wanting food for a few hours. I may even resort to something really desperate, like some exercise!

Hope your friend's appointment goes well today.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #9  
Blue Blood

Yesterday was good Carol, Thanks for checking. And it was an emotional day so I was really proud that I stayed in control! One day at a time, right? Gosh that makes me feel like an alcholic when I say that...
What kind of exercise program are you doing. I haven't really started on yet but I will probably start out with walking. I used to do that before I gained all the weight and it really relaxes me. I just have to get motivated to start again.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #10  
Starting Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Yesterday was good Carol, Thanks for checking. And it was an emotional day so I was really proud that I stayed in control! One day at a time, right? Gosh that makes me feel like an alcholic when I say that...
I know! "Hello. My name is Carol and I'm on a diet." Glad you did well yesterday. I did OK. This is my first PMS on my diet, and yesterday there was just NO taking my mind off food. Wow! I managed to stay on my plan except for one Edy's fruit pop (the small ones - 60 calories). Today has been much better. I didn't even have my two snacks, let alone any extras.

Quote:
What kind of exercise program are you doing. I haven't really started on yet but I will probably start out with walking. I used to do that before I gained all the weight and it really relaxes me. I just have to get motivated to start again.
I'm not really on a program of any kind yet. I bought some of those resistance bands, and I've just been trying to get myself doing some stretching and various things with those. I'm so bad at exercising, so any movement at all is an improvement, and so far I like the way the bands work. I ordered a few workout DVDs that use them yesterday, so as those come in, I hope to get a bit more active.

How are you feeling? Have you noticed any change yet, physical or mental?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #11  
Starting Over

OK, this has to be an omen! Just after I posted the last comment, my neighbor rang my doorbell, and said "Remember when you asked me about that exercise program I took?" Now, I can assure you I NEVER asked her about any exercise program! But I saw she had flyers in her hand, so I just went with it...

She invited me to join a 10-sesssion pilates/body toning class she is putting together at a place a few blocks away with a private instructor. It'll be a small class with a few people in the building, once a week starting next Tuesday night.

I told her I'd think about it (which normally means, "Yeah sure...maybe never"), but I already went back and knocked on her door. She's still out, but her husband said he'd send her over. I'm going to do it! At the very least, maybe I'll make a few friends around here. And she's a nurse, so if I pass out gasping for air....

This forum is really doing funny things to me!!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #12  
Blue Blood

Wow! That is great! If you won't go out and find an excercise program one will find you! hehe I have been checking out Wii Fit. Have you seen it? It looks like so much fun. It has strength, balance, arobic, Yoga and will even calculate your BMI. Right there at home. Problem is finding it...Much less finding a Wii! You would think there would be more in stock since Christmas is over!
Hey don't sweat that fruit pop! If that is the worst you do when you can't stand it any more you are well on your way. I was keeping low-fat ice cream bars around and just planning them as part of my plan so I didn't feel deprived.
Got to admit...This forum is really helping me stay focused. I want to post some good numbers next week! And I always look to see if you left a post...feels like I've met a friend here already and can't wait to see how she's doing each day!
D
Old 06-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #13  
Starting Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
And I always look to see if you left a post...feels like I've met a friend here already and can't wait to see how she's doing each day!D
I feel the same way about you! And it's really nice not to be doing this all alone too! Maybe there's hope for us yet.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #14  
Blue Blood

I'm sure there's hope! As a matter of fact I found a Wii today! But no luck on the Wii Fit. I decided that the way it gets you in shape is you have to run all over town looking for it! But my son-in-law used to work in retail electronics so he still has friends in the Biz. One of his friends is going make sure I can get my hands on one on Sunday! Can't wait! Looks like working out will be so much fun!
Feel kind of silly hunting down a Wii at my age...(I never really got into the video game craze) but this is the most excited I have ever been about an excercise program. It's more of a playout than a workout!
So how did you do? Did you get through the PMS ok? Not sure hot flashes are any better...but I sure don't miss PMS!
Old 06-26-2008, 10:39 PM   #15  
Starting Over

I'm glad you found your Wii! Hey, anything that makes exercise even remotely fun or appealing sounds good to me. I really have to try to exercise this weekend. I got one of my workout tapes, so...I'm hoping that will be a good match.

They had a big going-away lunch for someone at work today with all mexican food. I went out and got a salad beforehand, and joined everyone, but ate only the salad. It's really amazing how even when you're the biggest one there, and you're not even looking at it or saying "I wish I could have that"...everyone still actually tries to talk you into eating it. This is the second time that's happened in the last two weeks (our department has way too many lunches!). Someone even said, "A taco isn't bad for you! We have vegetarian ones. And the refried beans are good for you!" Ummm...OK. Maybe in the skinny world you people live in!!!! Anyway, I was proud of myself for getting through that.

The PMS is now "MS"...so hopefully by tomorrow it will be gone. I hope some weight goes away with it!

So do you still get hot flashes regularly? Or do they go away after a while? I'm sorry you're going through that. I only have a brief experience of what they're like - a few years ago, I suddenly started having a few of those here & there. My doctor suggested I take some soy supplements and they went away and (knock wood!) haven't been back since. Just something else to look forward to in the next few years I'm sure! Tell me again that this is the best time of our lives?!!!!