Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-24-2008, 02:20 PM   #1  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

Default A little silly but . . .

I just said "no" to eating cake at a celebration we are having this afternoon at work for a couple that is getting married this weekend, and I am feeling slightly proud of myself. I was in there for the surprise, and I was looking at the delicious cake thinking "can I fit these calories into my day? it looks REALLY good" but then I sat there for a minute and remembered that I had just put in my calories into the Daily Plate and remembered how many calories I had left for the whole day and knew that I definitely didn't have the room for cake plus dinner tonight. So I got up and walked out of the room after the surprise and got back to my desk to work. For the past 15 months on this weight loss journey I have been 90% successful at saying no to all of the sweets at work, but I do give in 10% of the time. I was thinking today might fit into that 10% because the cake looked so good, but I'm glad I said no. I'm trying to lose these last few pounds and that cake wouldn't help.
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 259/247/150

Height: 5'6

good for you!!!

i am impressed and proud of you!
mrs dorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

It's the little things that get you there! And a success like this makes it easier next time. If you don't really know you can successfully choose to not to have something, and without regrets, then you aren't really free to choose *to* have it without regrets
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #4  
R U Pregnant? NOOO!!!

S/C/G: 228/228/160

Height: 5ft

Good for u, u won the battle against that sweet demon, your determination and willpower is a motivation to me.
Sweetie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #5  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I went out to happy hour with friends the other night and was able to resist temptation (I just drank diet coke and made dinner when I got home later instead of snacking on the tasty, half-price appetizers). I was proud of myself too (and, actually, somewhat astonished at my willpower). I think we should be proud everytime we do something good for ourselves! Congratulations!
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:43 PM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Good for you! Good choices ALWAYS deserve to be celebrated!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #7  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #8  
Changing for the better

I am stuck in the same situation all the time at work - every time you turn around, someone is "celebrating" with food! It is tough, but don't you feel really good about yourself at the end of the day when you realize you didn't give in? I find that most of the food people bring in is so-so anyway - and I always try to go for quality (something small/homemade but really yummy and "worth it") over quantity (a.k.a. the store-bought cookies and cakes that aren't that great).
Kitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #9  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Three cheers for resisting. Hip, hip, hooray!! Feels great when the food doesn't win.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratulations!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Not only am I always proud of myself when I say "no" to food in those situations, but I also NEVER later regret NOT having eaten the food. Once it's out of my sight, I just forget about it. I don't wonder later that night "Gee, I wonder if that cake was really good."

Now, sometimes when I do give in, it is "worth" it in terms of tastiness, but usually the food is only so-so and not worth it, and I DO regret it.

So, I think you should definitely feel proud!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #12  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Congrats on your commitment. I'm going to glom some off 'ya.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #13  

Smile Sticking to your guys

Tell me about it. Sticking to your guns is key. I had a really kick butt workout with this great trainer who is on FitFiend.com. After, I really wanted to just gorge myself, but forced myself to get a salad...fine enough...except this deli had all these Mrs. Fields cookies and cakes and cupcakes staring me in the face at the cash register. Luckily, the line wasn't too long, so I made it out with just the salad. I ate it at home and was dying for something sweet...so I had protein shake (chocolate of course!) and a banana. I was very glad I stuck to my guns.
ceecee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #14  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Good for you!

I've found since I've been eating healthy (virtually zero refined sugars now) that it feels better to say "no" to cake/cookies/brownies at work that is does to actually eat them!
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #15  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

Thanks for the kind words everyone! The funny thing was that they also offered fruit - they always offer fruit (usually strawberries, melon, pineapple, and grapes) at these office celebrations so that those of us who don't eat many sweets have something to munch on, but since I just had lunch an hour earlier, even though the fruit looked yummy, I'm glad I always walked away from that because passing up free food is something I still struggle with and it always feels like a small victory when I walk away from food I really want, even if it is healthy like fruit.

It is going to be interesting when they throw a celebration for my own wedding in October - they do it for everyone who gets married, so I assume it will happen when I get married. I might give in a have a little bit of cake, but I'm not sure yet.
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote