General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #1  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Default Coping with a VERY hungry day.

Do you ever have those days that are just really "hungry"? I woke up this morning and felt like today might be one of those days.

I drank a lot of water. I tried not to think about eating and being hungry, as I had to take DD to school.

I called DH and asked him to make coffee on the way home from dropping DD off because coffee is a warm treat that helps me feel indulged with few calories.

Before I came home, I went to the local bakery and bought the BEST kalamata olive bread that exists (seriously, it is WONDERFUL!), then to the health store and bought fresh produce that was on sale to cook today. I got beautiful organic produce for GREAT prices. Cauliflower was only 97 cents a pound. It was 50 cents for a large head of iceberg lettuce (DD likes this as a treat sometimes). I selected 2 beautiful pears that will be perfect tomorrow.

I returned home and had one cup of coffee with soy creamer and knew that if I didn't eat soon, I may have something I should not have (it was close to 10am by this time).

So, I thought: "Protein and green vegetables! Spice, herbs, and just a little oil! THAT is what I need to eat!", ignoring the bread, still fresh and hot, smelling delicious.

Visions of the bread slathered with Earth Balance margarine manifesting in my glucose-starved mind, I got to work preparing and ON PLAN meal.

I prepared 1 pound of frozen broccoli (faster than chopping up fresh cauliflower!) with 6 ounces of soy-gluten strips (vegan "chicken"). I added oregano, garlic, onion, and an "all purpose" seasoning along with a splash of rice wine vinegar and carefully measured out extra virgin olive oil.

I ate a salad plate of this and am listening to my body, resisting the urge to eat more because 2 cups of food is really enough for me right now. It is.

I have the rest for later (I do like it cold even) in case I get a return of the "hunger wave" and can't wait to prepare something else.

I successfully avoided disaster and with planning, will have a "very hungry day" full of healthy eats.

It's 10:30am now and I know what I am going to make for dinner; 1 1/2 cups purple cabbage, carrot, garlic, onion and red lentil stew with 1 slice of the delectable bread and 1 tsp. Earth Balance and a red leaf, iceberg, cucumber, baked tofu, sweet onion salad with 2 T. sesame shiitake vinaigrette.

I will have 2 oranges as a snack later.

Now, I just have to figure out lunch...maybe just the rest of breakfast?
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Those days are brutal. You've got your strategies...sometimes throwing in an extra exercise session really works for me...so just work those. At that point, if you're really hungry, your body is telling you something...eat!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

SoulBliss-

I get days exactly like this a couple of times a month. I don't know why...but every now and then I have a super-hungry day. I have to plan ahead on those days as well...often forgoing having 3 meals, and instead having a mini-meal/large snack every two hours instead. Sometimes it is the only way to get through.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I hate those days. The only thing that helps even a little bit is to keep drinking hot things like broth, light soups, and hot tea. Sometimes I just can't wait to go to bed just so my tummy (and head) will stop nagging me. I wonder why that happens? I usually have a ravenous day right before TOM, but sometimes it just happens out of the blue.

Last edited by junebug41; 06-23-2008 at 02:06 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

Thanks! The exercise idea is a good one. I will give myself extra time to have fun relaxing in the pool after my usual workout as a "treat" (it's really hot and humid here) an hope that takes my mind off of eating for a while.

I recently changed my diet from VERY low carb vegan/whole foods/calorie counting to just vegan/whole foods/calorie counting but still carb controlled and am needing to keep a close eye on real hunger versus cravings and triggered urges fueled by carbohydrates.

So far, pretty good, but it takes vigilance, like all things diet-related!
Old 06-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #6  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
SoulBliss-

I get days exactly like this a couple of times a month. I don't know why...but every now and then I have a super-hungry day. I have to plan ahead on those days as well...often forgoing having 3 meals, and instead having a mini-meal/large snack every two hours instead. Sometimes it is the only way to get through.
Yes, that is how I deal with it sometimes too. I just have to tread lightly with the foods I have in the house right now, things I am reintroducing like bread and fruit.

I may even chew gum later if it gets too crazy. I feel so pathetic on days like this. I mean, how insignificant are these little struggles when compared to what women in other parts of the world are dealing with? I feel like a selfish, indulged American, that I even NEED to think about this stuff. Oh, being human is HARD sometimes!!!

I think it's got a lot to do with hormones. I just needed my cycle.

Junebug, the broths are a good idea too, like Mandalinn's exercise is. Broths, soups, coffee, all warm filling things.

Maybe I'll have a cup of miso in the mid afternoon.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #7  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

I think that women in other places, or even here in America, who deal with income-related hunger on a daily basis...well, they probably have to just put the hunger out of their minds somehow. What I mean is, it's probably not easier for them either, but they don't have the option to eat more at will, like we do. In any case, you don't need to feel guilty--by eating a non-animal diet, you're doing as much as you possibly can to reduce the "footprint" of your personal diet.

I get super-hungry days too, but then sometimes I also have non-hungry days, where I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat all my planned food. On both accounts, I think it's important to be a bit flexible--if you're really that hungry, eat. (Obviously, eat the healthy stuff you're already eating.) If you're really not hungry, don't eat. It will all balance out in the end.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMaiden View Post
I get super-hungry days too, but then sometimes I also have non-hungry days, where I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat all my planned food.
Me too! I have some days where I have almost no hunger at all, and other days where I'm absolutely ravenous (those are the days I *really* have to keep my distance from pizza).
Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #9  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

And here's another thought, post-lunch:

I had a great lunch consisting of some chicken, half an avocado, small slice of french bread (to put the avocado on, of course!), handful of baby carrots, and a delicious salad of hearts-of-palm and green pepper with a lemon-mustard-olive oil dressing. Then I chased it all with some vegetable juice.

Now, I am not hungry, not at all. I feel full (maybe a little bit too full). But my lunch was SO YUMMY that my mouth feels like it wants to chew some more!

Sometimes I'm not really hungry, but I feel like I want something in my mouth, to taste and chew. So when I get that feeling, I have some green tea or chew some sugarless gum, and that helps.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I'm having a hungry day today too (not a ravenous day, but a hungry day). At this point, I am usually balanced, only wanting about as much as I can have OP. But some days I am much less hungry and could almost forget to eat and other days it's a big struggle (both pretty rare, fortunately).

If I'm not too busy, on a hungry day I might distract myself by going out shopping. Especially for pants. I find that pretty motivating!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Man, I'm having one of these days today too! It started last night. Today, I had a bowl of homemade minestrone (chock full of beans & veggies), with Asiago grated on it, and when it was finished, it felt like I had *nothing.* Stomach still contracting. Most days I'm thrilled with how full I feel on smaller portions now, but every now and then (thankfully not often), it so feels like dieting. Usually when I have that soup, I'm pushing to finish it. I'll survive

... eating my snack (pecans) an hour early ...
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote