Old 06-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default Struggling again..

(I know I posted about this also in the accountability thread - then, I decided to post here too....hope that's OK)

Hi...yesterday didn't end well. Everything about yesterday changed...we went out for lunch with mom and then were invited to the neighbor's for a dinner or pep. pizza as a thank you for taking care of their dog while they were on vacation. Six months ago, I could eat one piece of pizza and it would be OK. But..pep pizza lead to eating the ice cream and cookies for dessert, etc. But, I just don't have that same oomph in me now. I know that part of it is not feeling real well. I go to the doctor today. Hopefully, he'll have some answers.

I still need to lose 50 pounds and I want long term sanity with food. Luckily, I have not gained back any weight. Probably having enough healthy days along with the overeating days. I am not belittling what I have accomplished so far - but, I need to get my "I can do this" attitude back. I am not sure how - but, I'll give it my best. Last week was three days of healthy eating and four days of overeating (and binges). I just can't go back there.

I did talk to DH about keeping the house mostly free of goodies...especially since I am struggling. He kind of talks the talk..."You can do this!!" but, doesn't always remember to not bring ice cream and candy in the house. He's very proud of me, I know. It would be so easy to go back to food insanity.

What do you do when you need to get back your 'oomph' for healthy eating?
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just read your signature and do it!
Quote:
"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." - Margaret Thatcher
Two meals out in one day would really be a challenge to me and I know how that one piece leads to another and then the "Oh well" syndrome.
Can you get yourself some special healthy food this week? Like fresh strawberries? It is possible to pamper yourself and stick to plan.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:51 AM   #3  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

The only thing that REALLY helped when my ooomph was gone was to find this board and start posting. Just getting my thoughts out and heard by people that I know actually care and can offer constructive advice and or criticism.
I have been watching people without a weight problem eat pizza, ice cream and all kinds of fattening stuff for years. the differenced is that they do it as an exception and go back to a regular diet on most days.
You have to start thinking like a thin person. "gee, that was a good treat! to bad I can't eat like that everyday!" then move back to your healthy diet.
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Beverly,

I have been in your shoes several times. It's uncomfortable. There are those times where you just want to say "*** it - I don't want to do this anymore". The difference between the majority and the minority is that the majority quit.

When I feel like I am losing control, motivation, energy to keep going (whatever the problem is) - I do several things, give these a try:

1. Remind yourself how far you have come
2. Read the maintainers forum
3. Go back over old pictures, your journal, blog or whatever you have and see what things were like for you 6 months ago, or a year ago.
4. Make a plan for the day, one day at a time. Tell yourself to only focus on one day.

There are just going to be those times where you have to grind it out for awhile.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:27 AM   #5  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

I wish we could bottle that feeling of what is was like before we started losing weight- simple activities were more difficult-a walk in the park-flexibility. I used to dread getting in and out of the boat. If we could have a sniff of that when we needed it that pizza and ice cream just wouldn't look so good anymore. One of the things that I do is take a mouse size taste ie the fries sitting on my sons plate and you know what they didn't taste very good. I wasn't missing anything. Pizza- I took a a taste of the cheese with sauce on it- it was pretty good and I just had one more taste. I took the kids to dairy queen as a treat after a bike ride yesterday and I thought I will just have a taste of their ice cream. I didn't even bother and didn't miss it- because I can ride a bike again!!
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 275/265.8/125

Height: 5'0

Default Motivation

When ever I feel like not sticking to it I remind myself why I am wanting to lose weight anyway which is to be
1. healthy, feel sexy, look good next summer in whatever I want to wear. Make a list for yourself.

2. Right yourself a contract that your going to stick to it and put it on your fridge so you'll be reminded of it at all times why you are sticking to you plan.

3. It also helps me to get on 3fatchicks.com but it also helps to go online and look at other women who I want to look like, even though celebrity pictures usually are unrealistic I keep that in mind too.
Kayhm0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #7  
XXXtine

S/C/G: 279/230/180

Height: 5'10

I remember talking to a girl at work. She'd lost 70+ pounds and still has another 70+ to go. At first she was going the gym every day-twice a day, working out with a personal trainer, doing very good with all her food.

But then one day she said it was hard. She'd hear everyone tell her how great she looked and felt like she could settle. She got lazy and convinced herself that she didn't have to go the gym "that" often. She still wanted to eat all her favorite foods and finally she started to agian with ho inhibitions or control. She gained back 30+ pounds. So....when it was all said and done she had gone backwards. All that hard work and she was starting to revert back.

I asked her if it was worth it and she said "No...after everything I went through and now I have to do it all over again."

So, ask yourself, "I've worked so hard to get where I am right now. I've made so many sacrifices and have struggled with this for all this time. Is it worth it to go off the deep end now and waste all that I've LOST (hee hee)?"

Why run a Marathon just to get half way?

No one said it would be easy. In fact....Losing Weight is a big serious challenge and you've come THIS far. You've made it all this way and have done a stupendous job. You haven't failed. So don't give up!
You can do this!

Go YOU!
xxxtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:21 AM   #8  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I was in your shoes last week -- totally lacking motivation, the will to workout, stick to my diet, etc etc. and I had two parties to attend at catering halls in one week... had cake, had a plate of pasta, etc. Had my TOM, blagh.

Just read some posts here -- that's what got me motivated again -- and sign up in an accountability thread to track your workouts and such. That has also helped me (the feeling if guilt I have when I have nothing to post for the day bc I was sitting on my butt all day).
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #9  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I'm definitly hearing what you're saying beverlyjoy. Right now all I can do is remind myself how far I've come.. and take one day at a time.

I'm faking the oomph this week... maybe it'll just catch on for next week.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #10  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Hey BeverlyJoy - from your ticker, it looks like you just made it to Onederland! Could it be that this recent milestone is causing complacency? I know sometimes we want to relax a little once we get past a major hurdle.

Instead, though, we can reward ourselves by pushing through to our next mini-goal!

I love this thread, BTW. I've been rocky for a long while too, and these posts have been really motivational.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Sending you a big hug and and a hope that you can get through this phase and find the willpower and determination needed to stay the course. It's hard...I'm struggling too. Thoughts are with you!
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

It is tough. I actually am going through a little struggle of my own right now just because of stuff going on personally as well. I am not planning as well as I used to ... I'm tired and I'm stressed and I just want to throw up my hands and say "whatever".

But you know what ... I know I can do this because I've been doing it. I know that I can stop because I've stopped before. This morning was back to being healthy and eating the right foods and I actually feel good. I feel like maybe eating well will help me deal with some of the other stresses in my life at the moment.

I dunno... sometimes just *doing* it ... just forcing yourself to say "ok, I screwed up and now it's time to move on" ... that's the only thing you can do.

Hang in there. I can't offer the best advice right now, but lots of sympathy.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

WOW...I want to thank you all with all my heart for your thoughts, ideas, strategies, experiences, and heartfelt 'oomph' that you sent my way. So many great ideas here. I feel like I can try and pick myself up and take it a day at a time.

It's funny...at first I thought...'how can I post about my struggles' - yet, so many of you had such good ideas and thoughts. So many of you can relate or have ideas that are helpful.

I think that this site, 3fatchicks, is the 'good stuff' of what great things can come from the internet. Just reading all of your thoughts and ideas has helped me to feel a bit more hopeful and empowered.

I will take your ideas....and, one day at a time, try to get back my oomph!

Thanks SO much.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #14  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I hear ya! I've lost 8 lbs the last THREE months, not great, but not gaining either! I have to put a positive spin on it LOL as long as it's not going UP you're ahead right???
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

A lot of the pointers in this link have already been covered, but here are a few additional ideas...

http://zenhabits.net/2008/06/the-ult...ieve-any-goal/
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote