South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/118/110

Height: 5'2

Default Thinking about SB, have some questions

I have been reading some posts on this thread, and it seems a lot of people have great success on sb.

I have been a calorie counter for almost 2 years now. But about 9 months ago I plateaued, and I can't even say I have been stuck there ever since, because I actually gained 5 pounds over the last 2 months!

I was wondering if anyone could give me information about how phase 2 and 3 of SB actually differ from calorie counting.

How much weight does one usually lose during phase 1?

Also, I don't include that much meat in my diet. Most of the calories I eat in a day come from whole grains, fruits, and veggies, and some dairy and meat. Will I have to be constantly eating meat during phase 1?

I was hoping to get some positive feedback before I spend money on yet another diet book.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I do absolutely no calorie counting with this diet, which to me, makes it very different from what I have done in the past. I was fearful at first that I would not lose weight, or might even gain if I ate too large portions. I was happily surprised. I lost 8# in Phase I (two weeks). I lost 12# in Phase II and a couple more now that I am maintaining. You really have to read the book to understand the concepts.

You do not have to eat more meat on this diet. I definitely eat more protein than I used to. I eat beans, low-fat cheese and yogurt frequently. I usually eat chicken or fish as my main "meats". Not much red meat.

I followed Weight Watchers flex program for years, but had reached a point where I wasn't losing any more. This diet was definitely a new way of thinking about food for me & has been a much healthier one in the long run.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Height: 5'9"

I was a calorie counter for the last year, and lost about 70lbs on that but like you, have plateaued or yo-yoed. It just didn't seem to be working anymore. So I did some research and found that this is the one for me. I'm also insulin resistant and with all the veggies and not so much bread and stuff, it was even better for me.
I'm on Phase 1, and will be starting my second week of the same phase and have lost 4 lbs already. It's not hard, the food is very filling and I love the cheese! I'm a cheese-a-holic and when I was counting calories, I didn't eat alot of it because of all the fat.
I really don't think you have to eat alot of meat on any phase. I think it's more up to you what you want and I think it's more about the veggies, more than anything.
Plus you'll be getting good carbs versus bad carbs which the book explains it really well.
hope this helps a little
Debbie
p.s. Good luck to you if you start it
Old 06-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #4  

Thanks so much ladies! I think I will read the book. It is only like 3 dollars used on amazon.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:42 PM   #5  

Also, I love cheese haha.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #6  

One more thing, what is the difference between regular south beach diet and south beach supercharged?
Old 06-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

The difference is just that the supercharged is the updated version. It has expanded food lists and includes an exercise program. But if you get a copy of the older version, you can manage just fine, just print the updated food lists from this forum.
Closed Thread