Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #1  
Supporter

S/C/G: 196/154/147

Height: 6' 0"

Default Weigh Or Measure?

I am always surprised by the number of people who rely on the bathroom scales to monitor their dieting progress.

We all know that if you are exercising you will be developing muscle, which when compared to body fat in size, weighs twice as much, so it is quite possible to slim down without losing weight, or indeed sometimes to actually gain weight during the course of slimming down.

I watched one of those celebrity weight loss progs last year, one of the participants was chided for doing too much exercise, because her resultant muscle growth was at the root cause of a only a small weight loss. How crazy is that? The girl was visibly thinner!!!

Whichever way you look at it, it is quite clear that weight loss and size loss are not directly related to each other, so why are we all fixated with the scales?

Is worth considering a weekly "measurements" thread where everybody posts their total inch loss (or gain)?
AJ113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

That could happen, AJ113. Why not go ahead and start one? Call it "Weekly Measurements, wk of XXXXXX" (date goes there), and invite people to post.

Some of the specialized forums have weekly weigh-in and/or weekly accountability threads. I don't know that I've seen a measurements thread.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I thought this post was going to be about weighing or measuring food LOL! (I weigh my portions, btw).

That would be an interesting thread. I measure monthly, it shows the biggest loss that way.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #4  
No description available.

We all have different ways of monitoring progress in this path. I'm glad you have found something that works for you and I am sure that there are others who would find that meaningful as well.

I do use the scale to keep tabs on my physical weight, mainly because I ignored it for too many years and that played a huge part in my ability to stay in denial on my path to obesity.

I also look at body fat percentage and that can also be a helpful way to measure progress.

Some people buy clothes in a certain size and use them to measure progress.

There are many strategies available and all of them have their pros and cons. I am glad you have found something that works for you, because finding tools that work and make sense to each of us can help us get where we want to go.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

3FC is where I learned about the pants-o-meter!

In any number of weekly or daily chat threads posters post any kind of progress. Scale, inches, BF% or the pants-o-meter. Any progress is so encouraging.
As JayEll says, start one -or- make it an emphasis in whatever threads you already visit.

Last edited by srmb60; 06-20-2008 at 09:13 AM.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #6  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I having been doing both from the very beginning. I get a scale reading and out comes the measuring tape, and I record my progress each month.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #7  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

The scale isn't perfect because a simple weight calculation doesn't distinguish between fat and muscle (unless you have one of those fancy scales that give you all kinds of data, but those are not terribly accurate). But I've found that in general my weight corresponds to my progress - when I lose fat, I lose pounds. Measuring is also an imperfect quantification, because I can't measure in the exact same location each time. If I measure myself three times, I often get three slightly different measurements. And I tend not to get as excited by small 1/4" losses as I do small weight losses, like a pound. The scale numbers are more concrete to me, so that's what I measure.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 272/240/140

Height: 5'8"

I'd love to have a measurements thread. I'm currently eschewing my scale for a month because I'm tired of weighing daily and letting that determine the outlook of my whole disposition all day.
vikkivma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I do both ... I weigh on the scale daily and I measure once a week. I've found that sometimes the scale will show a loss when the measurments stay the same and sometimes I'll lose inches (or parts of an inch) even though the scale hasn't budged.

It works for me ... obviously YMMV.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:31 AM   #10  
Supporter

OK I may start a weekly measurement thread, what is the best day to target - Mondays? What measurements do you think we should major on? (remember there are blokes here too!) I don't think we should have a whole string of measurements otherwise it will become a chore for members to post. Maybe two or three? What do you think?
Old 06-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #11  
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikkivma View Post
I'd love to have a measurements thread. I'm currently eschewing my scale for a month because I'm tired of weighing daily and letting that determine the outlook of my whole disposition all day.
I agree vikki, even if scales are your "weapon of choice" I don't think it's a good idea to use them daily, because even if your general trend is to lose weight, there are bound to be fluctuations in your weight from day to day.

The human body is too complex to give accurate daily readings, so it's quite possible that you could weigh yourself one day, discover that you are a pound heavier than the previous day, and then have a real downer for the rest of the day, when in fact it is all unnecessary because the weight loss for the week turns out to be a couple of pounds.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:18 AM   #12  
Blue Team Member

S/C/G: 297/229/150

Height: 5'5/168cm

weighing and measuring i think is the weigh to go that is what i ahev always done.. but when you get bloated both can go up .. so nothing is perfect lol
amouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:18 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I do both ... I weigh on the scale daily and I measure once a week. I've found that sometimes the scale will show a loss when the measurments stay the same and sometimes I'll lose inches (or parts of an inch) even though the scale hasn't budged.
I do both also, for the very reason that stepping on the scales and not losing (or even gaining!) can be depressing for someone who is trying to lose weight. However, when you've got those measurements handy - it helps stay motivated! For me at least.

For example, I only lost 1 lb between my 2 last weigh ins. However, I lost 2 inches in my waist! Thighs and all lost a little but my waist, which started at a 40" when I was at my heaviest, is now a 35"! I can see my toes again without leaning over my belly!

Anyway...just my two cents.

EDIT: Note, I do my measurements and weight every 7 to 10 days. 7 usually but 10 if it's TOM. To the prior poster: I never ever ever step foot near a set of scales at TOM when I'm overly bloated. Depressing.

Last edited by snapless; 06-21-2008 at 07:21 AM.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #14  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

i tend to use the scale more that a tape measure....
only in the last two weeks have i used the tape....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Well, let's see... folks generally don't measure more than once a week, and some only once a month, but they could simply post their measurements on the week they take them.

I'd think waist would be one measurement to list--maybe chest or bust as well--and hips?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote