View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #14
suecd

S/C/G: 186/170/155-160

Height: 5'5''

When I was growing up, my mom, who was otherwise a good cook, made awful salads. Boring lettuce, little disks of carrot and cucumber, some green pepper. (I don't like raw tomatoes, so I'd pick those out.) And that was it. There was never any variation in texture or taste or size. No wonder I didn't love salad, even after I stopped eating meat at age 13.

As an adult, I've really made an effort to make delicious, interesting, salads, with combinations of food I like in them, and so, of course, I eat them more.

My other suggestion for eating more vegetables, esp. if you don't eat meat, is soup. In the winter, I eat soup all the time for dinner, and I still make it fairly often in the summer, if we're not having a heat wave. I use my immersion blender to make pureed soups, with or without dairy. In the winter, I make lots of bean and vegetable soups, and it's a way to get lots of veggies in all at once. Deborah Madison (who wrote Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone) has a wonderful soup cookbook that's become one of my favorite and most used cookbooks.
suecd is offline   Reply With Quote