General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

View Poll Results: Do you share info with 3FC that you wouldn't family/friends?
Yes 31 58.49%
No 15 28.30%
I'm an equal opportunity, open book to everyone! 7 13.21%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #1  

Default Do you share your deepest secrets?

Just curious -- how many people share things on here that their loved ones/friends do not know. Do you find it easier to discuss certain topics with us 3FC's than you do with family members, spouses or friends? Why or why not??

shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

I voted yes, but it runs both ways.

Yes, I have posted things here about my way of eating/exercise/etc. that I haven't discussed with family or friends, but the reverse is true also. My family and friends know things about me I would never discuss with strangers on an online forum (no offense intended to any of you).
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #3  

I think for myself, my eating/binging issues are discussed in more detail on here. My husband knows nothing of it -- because he is not terribly understanding but my sister knows it all. My life, otherwise, is rather boring, so if I had any good, juicy secrets, I would be shocked myself. I think I also feel more comfortable discussing certain parts of my life, because there is no face-to-face -- which makes me feel that 3FC is less judgemental than the people in my life. (Besides, you guys can't spread gossip like the people in my life tend to do )
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #4  
Want 2 be slim & healthy

Location: Im in Spain but Im English, have lived in Spain for 15 years

Height: 5"11

No-one, not even my closest friends and family knows how much I weigh. It is a major deal for me but you guys do and I feel kind of "safe" knowing you cant really see me I guess! Does that make sense?
kate1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #5  
Slow but steady...

S/C/G: 192/166.4/165

Height: 5'7"

Only my closest friends know what my heaviest, current and goal weight is. That is exactly 3 people. My family does not and will not know my weight, even when I reach my goal. I guess that is a little strange, eh?

I am fine discussing how much pounds I lost, or what I intend to lose to reach goal-- but the actual number, nope! But on here? No problems.
clibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:40 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/144/122

Height: 5'3"

I concur with Snapless. I discuss weight and food- related issues here with much more candor than I would my family/friends - they just don't get it..... you all do!

Of course, other aspects of my life are private between my family/friends and I. With no offense intended toward anyone....

I would be lost without this site/community! Your support and kindness, your non-judgmental attitude make it so much easier to stick to it! Thank you!
chronicdieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #7  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

One of my 3FC buddies knows quite a bit about me that most of my friends don't know. I don't know if it's the degree of anonymity or it may be because some of my "personal issues" contribute to my weight issues.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #8  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I tell certain family members everything, but I don't share everything with friends. I do have a few very close friends, but I don't feel like constantly talking about weight loss w/ them, so it's mostly about not sounding like a broken record!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 167/130/120

Height: 5'3

I would never reveal my struggles with overeating to anyone I actually know.. Funny how that works - I think it's because the Internet is so anonymous and there's so many people here going through similar things, makes for a very comfortable environment that is easy to open up to.

Last edited by Mongoose; 06-19-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

I tell my friends here things i could never share with anyone else. I find more understanding and less judgement here. I also have just started talking about how much i weigh with a few close friends and that is after losing 50lbs.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #11  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I say I'm "equal" because I feel I share equally personal info with people IRL and people on 3FC, but just DIFFERENT personal info.

Im much more open with my body issues/worries/baggage, etc. (which are a BIG part of my life) on 3FC than I am in real life, but I'm more forthcoming with other kinds of personal info, i.e. financial issues, relationship stuff, etc. with people I know in person, though if I needed an impartial opinion about that sort of stuff, I would probably also share as much as I could on 3FC and see what people thought.

Just wanted to add ... the reason I feel comfortable sharing body issues and weight problems, etc. on 3FC versus in real life is because it is REALLY hard, imo, to find people who can really, truly relate to those issues in real life. I find that on 3FC, I can talk about what it was like to grow up a fat kid and to live as a heavy person and TRY TRY TRY to lose weight and people will REALLY understand what I mean. It's nice to know there are people who CAN relate to that.

Last edited by KLK; 06-19-2008 at 03:07 PM.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #12  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

When it comes to my weight then I share more with the chicks on here.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #13  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

There are certain things that I do not want my dh to ever know. I know he'd never judge me..but I just dont want him to know. I find it easier to tell people on 3FC because they've gone through some of the same stuff.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #14  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

I'm a pretty candid person - I reveal silly personal things but nothing that is too personal ~ IRL or here.

Regarding weight.. My mom and sister know all... but for some reason I feel like the actual numbers on my scale will always sound big... I know I am healthy and I feel thin... But it's the digits that I have a hard time saying. I rarely mention my weight here. Never IRL.

I feel like I am closer to a man's weight than I am a woman's weight..
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:25 PM   #15  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I talk about stuff here that people in my personal life aren't all that interested in, or just don't get.

Honestly, most people I know are only mildly interested that I'm losing weight. If it's mentioned by me at all, they'll respond with something like, "Oh, that's cool." Then they move on to the next topic.

They don't care about my daily (or hourly) struggles, all the issues that come with weight loss, or any of the details. I can't really discuss any of it with anyone on the "outside" because they really, really don't get it and it's easy to see that they aren't interested in the topic at all. They may listen politely, but they usually have no input or interest in going into things in depth.

However, most people on 3FC know it's not so simple or easy to lose weight and keep it off, so they don't blow off your victories or your concerns. The Chicks are willing to listen, give encouragement, support, and perspective. It seems like no matter what the issue or concern, someone here has battled it or can at least identify with the problem and offer support or tips.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote