Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/188/175

Height: 5'5"

Default I've Found A Solution to My Problem (I Hope)

The last few weeks I've been starving all afternoon. So I snack. Then I'm even more hungry when I get home so I over eat at dinner.

Today there's a news article on the wire that indicates that larger breakfasts can help not only lose weight but keep it off. That's when it hit me--I've slowly started to eat less and less in the morning. Thinking about it, I bet I only plan on having about 250 calories before lunch.

I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow to see if it makes any difference. Whole wheat toast, eggs, veggies.... Yum!
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I read this report too...those women were eating HALF or more of their daily calories first thing in the morning!

No way could I ever do that, but a bigger breakfast isn't a bad idea...hope it works for you!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

I'm constantly tweaking when I eat to make my days work well!

I've learned that a big breakfast works best on my busy mornings -- really helps keep me going. But on mornings where I don't have a lot of meetings but am doing things at my desk, I get the munchies -- no matter what size my breakfast was. So, on those mornings I eat a smaller breakfast and plan in a snack.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I hope it works for you! Keep us posted on how you do over the next few days.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #5  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

I eat a high-protein "dinner" for breakfast every day and that helps me get my motor running early and sets me off in the right direction with loads of energy.

Also really curtails any snacking/cravings that might want to come along later in the day, I've found.

(And I love having breakfast for dinner. It's like a treat!)
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
I've learned that a big breakfast works best on my busy mornings -- really helps keep me going. But on mornings where I don't have a lot of meetings but am doing things at my desk, I get the munchies -- no matter what size my breakfast was. So, on those mornings I eat a smaller breakfast and plan in a snack.
I am exactly the same way. I ate a big omelet with veggies today and wasn't hungry for 5-6 hours. I think if I had been sitting around a lot and not running my legs off I would have wanted a mid-morning snack just for the heck of it. As it was, I was completely satisfied. Higher protein breakfasts always keep me fueled all morning also.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/135-see tracker

Height: 5 ' 3"

Smile

"I've learned that a big breakfast works best on my busy mornings -- really helps keep me going. But on mornings where I don't have a lot of meetings but am doing things at my desk, I get the munchies -- no matter what size my breakfast was. So, on those mornings I eat a smaller breakfast and plan in a snack."

I like this Heather. I think it would work for me as well.

"I eat a high-protein "dinner" for breakfast every day and that helps me get my motor running early and sets me off in the right direction with loads of energy.
Also really curtails any snacking/cravings that might want to come along later in the day, I've found.
(And I love having breakfast for dinner. It's like a treat!)"

Could you elaborate on your "dinner" for breakfast? It sounds intriguing. I too love breakfast for dinner so i would be interested to see how you've done that. Oh i just noticed you're doing a specific eating program. What are Bistros high-protein dinners like?

Can anyone tell me how to use the quote button to quote just a portion of the message, or is that not doable--thanks
Ailey60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:22 AM   #8  
blissfully gluten-free

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailey60 View Post
"I eat a high-protein "dinner" for breakfast every day and that helps me get my motor running early and sets me off in the right direction with loads of energy.
(And I love having breakfast for dinner. It's like a treat!)"

Could you elaborate on your "dinner" for breakfast? It sounds intriguing. I too love breakfast for dinner so i would be interested to see how you've done that. Oh i just noticed you're doing a specific eating program. What are Bistros high-protein dinners like?
Like, my first meal of the day will be a pork dish with two servings of vegetables or a chicken dish with a three-bean salad and a serving of dark green vegetables. I just eat one of the higher-protein dinner meals BistroMD offers as my breakfast.

But before the days of BistroMD for me, I would have a hearty omelet or grilled chicken breast with some salad or something. Anything more "dinner like" than "breakfast like" just to get a good 300 to 400 calories in early, and mainly high in protein/low in fat, compared to the rest of the day's intake.

Seems to lead off on the right foot for me, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailey60 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to use the quote button to quote just a portion of the message, or is that not doable--thanks
Just hit the "quote" button at the bottom right of the message you want to quote and then delete whatever portion you DON'T want quoted in your response.

If you want to quote multiple posts within your one response, you can hit the quote button at the bottom of each post you want to quote and choose "open in new tab" or "open in new window" for your browser and then copy and paste into one posting place, closing the other open tabs/windows after you've copied the content into the one place you want to do the official reply.

Eesh. Does that make sense?

That's how it works for me, anyway.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #9  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I have always been saying that "I would not leave the house without breakfast". And it was said in all seriousness. If I am not hungry when I wake up, I get hungry within 30 minutes at the latest.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #10  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Have y'all actually checked out the study details? It's pseudo-scientific crapola, as far as I can tell.

Apparently the "low-carb, small breakfast" dieters got to eat only about 1000 kcal/day, while the "high-carb big breakfast" dieters were eating about 1200 kcal/day. Long-term, the small breakfast dieters regained their weight. DUH! They weren't getting enough calories on their diet! Not to mention, the small breakfast dieters were mostly eating carbs at their breakfast meal...which is really odd for a study that puports to be measuring the effects of a low-carb diet. The study clearly proves what we already know--crash dieting doesn't work, and when people go off of nutritionally/physiologically-unsound crash diets they regain all their weight. Thank goodness public monies are being used for this kind of research and the media is touting it everywhere--I'm sure it will be so helpful to the American public.

Link to study details: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-nwl061008.php

Link to a scathing commentary on Livin' La Vida Low-Carb: http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.co...kfast-for.html

Of course, this is not to say that eating a good breakfast isn't good for you. But this particular study was junk.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #11  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

I thought the commentary was a little lowbrow and lacked supporting evidence, and without critically reviewing the researchers' methods and data I think it's too early to dismiss their study as junk science.

In the interest of full disclosure I have to acknowledge that I'm a little skeptical of the low-carb craze, and without appropriate references I can't take the opinions expressed on Livin La Vida Low-Carb that seriously. But in all honesty, even if the negative review came from a different source I'd still be put off by the anti-intellectual tone.

My two cents.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMaiden View Post
Have y'all actually checked out the study details? It's pseudo-scientific crapola, as far as I can tell.

cut/snip

Of course, this is not to say that eating a good breakfast isn't good for you. But this particular study was junk.

Goes to prove my theory that you can find a "study" to support pretty much any point of view. I haven't really tried but I still maintain that, if you look hard enough, you could find a "study" (likely funded by Krispy Kreme) that says you can lose weight if you eat nothing but a dozen donuts a day. (probably because you would be decomposing but hey, losing weight is losing weight right?)
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 188/188/175

Scientific or not, it's working for me so far. I ate an egg scrambled with a bit of cheese, piece of WW toast and a piece of bacon at 6:00 this morning. It's now almost noon and the only snack I've had is the banana I ate while I read the comics! I'm usually completely RAVENOUS by 9:30.

Maybe it's pyschological. Or maybe the article just made me aware that I'm not eating enough in the mornings. Whatever. I'm happy with the results today.
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #14  
blissfully gluten-free

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan View Post
Scientific or not, it's working for me so far. I ate an egg scrambled with a bit of cheese, piece of WW toast and a piece of bacon at 6:00 this morning. It's now almost noon and the only snack I've had is the banana I ate while I read the comics! I'm usually completely RAVENOUS by 9:30.

Maybe it's pyschological. Or maybe the article just made me aware that I'm not eating enough in the mornings. Whatever. I'm happy with the results today.
And THOSE are results of a study I LIKE to hear.

Whatever is working for an individual should be done by that individual, y'know?

(I had turkey breast for breakfast... with peas and rosemary potatoes.) Yeah!
Old 06-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #15  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan View Post
The last few weeks I've been starving all afternoon. So I snack. Then I'm even more hungry when I get home so I over eat at dinner....snip
Are you REALLY hungry? Do you feel hunger pains? Could it be that you are stressed (at work) or board (at home)? Could stress or boredom be a trigger to comfort yourself? Do you comfort yourself by snacking?

Just wondering. (Because I do) I have found if I really listen to my body, I am rarely actually hungry...to the point of hunger pains...but throw in a gloomy rainy day, a board meeting or a fight with hubby and all of a sudden I'm ready to chow down.

I do truly hope your big breakfast is a solution to your problem.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 06-19-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote