Old 06-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #1  
XXXtine

S/C/G: 279/230/180

Height: 5'10

Default Sizes and Weight loss

So. As of yesterday I am down 21+ pounds. But....none of my pants are loose. In fact, I can't really sense a change in my "parts". Yes I've measured and If there is a difference it is in my brain or somewhere the tape measure shouldn't go. My question is;

When did you start noticing a difference in your appearance and going down clothing sizes? I know it differs for everyone especially with height. But I just want to get an idea. Tall, petite or short let me know! '

I really should start taking weekly photos.
xxxtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

My clothing sizes didn't go down very much at first. In fact my clothing sizes went down the most after I had removed some weight then started weight lifting. It transformed my body much more than taking off pounds. I was still wearing size 16 pants and at 167 lbs but after lifting weights. I went down to a size 12 pants with no pounds gone.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #3  
FB

I'm your height and didn't begin noticing changes until the 40-60 pound range. Then again, I was probably wearing my clothes too tight to start with! I started about 15 pounds heavier than you. Yesterday I got my first all-out crazy compliment from someone, I've had one or two before, but yesterday's left me walking tall.

Your most important change is what you are doing - not necessarily what you can see. Congratulations on your loss so far!

Weekly photos would be a great idea. I suck at that and I'm a photographer! I only have photos of myself that my assistant caught me in by accident.

Last edited by FB; 06-18-2008 at 11:02 AM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I didn't notice any real weight loss until I'd lost about 30 lbs ... then all of a sudden none of my clothes fit. It was kind of weird ... but that's the way my whole journey has been. I lose in "chunks" instead of steadily. The weight comes off, but my clothing sizes drop in bursts.

It's just one of those weird little quirks of weight loss, I think!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #5  
XXXtine

My man has lost less weight than me and he's already down a pant size. I have to remember that all his weight is in one area and mine is tacked on all over the place.

But, your experience is what I figured. I bet it will be all at once too. One day I'll say, "HEY! My pants are too big."

What was this crazy compliment? I must know!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #6  
XXXtine

Your words give me help. The main reason is I want to wear these pants I used to wear....

I'll get there right?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #7  
XXXtine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonrr1 View Post
My clothing sizes didn't go down very much at first. In fact my clothing sizes went down the most after I had removed some weight then started weight lifting. It transformed my body much more than taking off pounds. I was still wearing size 16 pants and at 167 lbs but after lifting weights. I went down to a size 12 pants with no pounds gone.
I've heard different things about weight lifting. I've heard that you should start after you get to goal. I've also heard that nows as good a time as any.
My feeling is that I already have enough weight why would I want to add any? Also, when you are heavier it messes with your alignment and that could put even more stress on joints and muscles. But, that is me just speculating. I should do more research. Do you have any good resources about this?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #8  

Quote:
I've heard that you should start after you get to goal.
Noooooooo!!!!!

Quote:
My feeling is that I already have enough weight why would I want to add any? Also, when you are heavier it messes with your alignment and that could put even more stress on joints and muscles. But, that is me just speculating.
What makes you think that weight lifting will ADD weight to your body?

As you lift weights, you build muscle strength. As you build muscle strength, you increase your basal rate metabolism. As you increase your basal rate metabolism, you make it easier to burn fat, even while "resting".

Lifting weights does NOT make you gain weight. It makes you build muscle. Those are entirely different things.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/170/150

Height: 5ft 6in

I also didn't notice much of a change for the first 25 lbs or so. What really made the difference with me was when I started exercising. Within a month, I had gone from a size 16 pant (which was tight) to a size 14, which fit well. I am now at a size 12 (which fits snug). Exercise was what did it (in combination with the weight loss, of course).

....deedee....
deedeesugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #10  
XXXtine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Noooooooo!!!!!.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! OH NO! (tee hee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
What makes you think that weight lifting will ADD weight to your body?

As you lift weights, you build muscle strength. As you build muscle strength, you increase your basal rate metabolism. As you increase your basal rate metabolism, you make it easier to burn fat, even while "resting".

Lifting weights does NOT make you gain weight. It makes you build muscle. Those are entirely different things.

What I meant is that I am already carrying a lot of excess weight. Because of this excess weight the structure of my skeleton is not going to be in good alignment so that when I lift weights or do strength training it will put excessive force on said joints and muscles. No?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #11  
XXXtine

I try to do at least some excercise daily. Whether or not it is light or moderate is up to my knees and back. If I didn't excercise I am not sure what I'd do?!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #12  

hee hee!!!
Quote:
What I meant is that I am already carrying a lot of excess weight. Because of this excess weight the structure of my skeleton is not going to be in good alignment so that when I lift weights or do strength training it will put excessive force on said joints and muscles. No?
Not necessarily. I wouldn't recommend jumping into an intense program right away, but weight lifting is good for you no matter what your weight. And there are a lot of things you can do that won't impact your joints right away. There are some excellent resources on our weight lifting forums here and I do strongly recommend the book New Rules of Lifting. There's some great info there for people who are just getting into lifting.

At 5'10" and 260 lbs you shouldn't be too heavy at all to start a good lifting program. I started lifting when I was over 200 and I'm only 5'4".

Last edited by PhotoChick; 06-18-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #13  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Start strength training now. You won't bulk up, and you will certainly be stronger to help you carry around the excess weight you have now.

Proper form is essential, but there really isn't any reason an overweight person can't have proper form and lift weights.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #14  

<thread hijack>

Lori - you have my FAVORITE lolcat as your avatar!

</end hijack>

Old 06-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

It took me almost 50lbs before I really noticed a diff
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote