The Maintenance Library books, articles, and book discussions

Old 06-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #1  
Meg

Default Article - Losing the ‘matronly look’ of menopause

Hurray for diet and exercise!

Quote:
One study found that women who do work at diet and exercise can stave off weight gain as they enter menopause — and stay healthier, too. The Women's Healthy Lifestyle Project involved more than 500 premenopausal women, half of whom were instructed to follow a reduced-fat, 1,300-calorie-a-day diet and increase their physical activity (to burn 1,000 to 1,500 calories a week through exercise), while the other half did not follow any special intervention.

Results published in the journal Circulation showed that during nearly 4.5 years of follow-up, the women who worked hard at diet and exercise did not gain weight but actually lost an average of .2 pounds. Meanwhile, those in the other group gained an average of 5.2 pounds — roughly a pound a year. The women in the intervention group also were healthier with regard to their blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood levels of glucose and insulin.

While health experts often recommend 30 minutes a day of moderate physical activity to boost health, many endorse much more — 60 to 90 minutes a day — for weight loss.
(my emphasis added)

Read the article here: Losing the ‘matronly look’ of menopause

In my experience, those of us going through or post-menopause really do have to work HARD at losing or keeping weight off. But it is possible, as countless success stories here at 3FC can attest, so don't give up! Let me add a huge recommendation for weight training as part of any older woman's exercise routine. It will keep your metabolism elevated so you can eat more calories and still maintain your weight, it will cut down on ab fat (the "menopot" or "menopausal donut" ), help prevent osteoporosis, and keep you small and tight enough to wear your daughter's jeans.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I am trying to increase my use of resistance training. I am at the same weight now that I was in my 20's but what a difference! I feel much flabbier and when tested for body fat, I've lost muscle over the years that I would now like to build up. I really think this is as important as aerobic exercise, but I have never enjoyed doing it. I think I finally have the eating part down pat, but I sure need a kick in the butt in this department.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #3  
Meg

Anne, I agree with you 100% that weights are as important as aerobic exercise. It's scary to find out that we lose 1/3 of our muscle mass between the ages of 20 and 70 unless we actively try to counteract it through weight training. Since muscle is the calorie burner in our bodies, no wonder our metabolisms slow down! Hopefully it will be something you learn to love over time.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/169/150

Height: 5'8"

What an excellent article! Oh how I long to bid adieu to my menopot. (I just love that.) I'm boldly going for it.
pinkcarnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcarnation View Post
What an excellent article! Oh how I long to bid adieu to my menopot. (I just love that.) I'm boldly going for it.
Mine is still there, even after losing weight. It is a lot smaller though. My Dr. says it won't go away completely without an abdominoplasty. Dr. Pamela Peeke says it kind of a badge of honor though. It reminds us of all our bodies went through giving birth to our children.

Last edited by murphmitch; 06-17-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
It reminds us of all our bodies went through giving birth to our children
And those of us who didn't? Hmmm, must be something I can claim
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:28 AM   #7  
Meg

Furkids? Body empathy and maternal hormones?

Actually, from what I've read, the menopot is the result of hormonal changes as we age. When our ovaries start to shut down estrogen production, our bodies turn to abdominal fat as a secondary source for estrogen. Hence the development of the classic fat deposits around the middle -- the menopausal donut.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #8  
Midwesterner

I agree with you Meg. I had the chance to hear Dr. Peeke at a women's conference once. Dynamic speaker! She explained the difference between visceral fat and the menopot. I remember her making that comment about the menopot, but I think someone had asked her about the possibility of getting rid of it completely.

Last edited by murphmitch; 06-19-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:19 AM   #9  
prepare for the BEST time

Great article....I've been fighting my waistline for the last year or so...nothing gives me results better than weight training( I'm 51 and have been experienceing menopause for the last 10 months or so)...I love cardio, but i've seen better progress when I spend more time on weights....I just wish those machines had little calorie calculators like the elliptical or the ARC trainer.....
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #10  

Height: 5' 8"

Great article! Thanks for sharing Meg. I've always had a big butt but was really wondering why I was getting such a gut all of a sudden. Now I know it has a name

About a year and a half or so ago I had a doctor tell me I should forget about trying to lose weight 'cause it wasn't going to happen now that I am "at that age" (tacit implication that my appearance should no longer be a concern either) and he whipped out his perscription pad to send me off to the pharmacy for "stuff" to control blood pressure, blood sugar, colesterol, and hormones. Instead of going to the pharmacy, I changed doctors . I am very excited to say that, thanks to my new eating and exercising habits everything (well, except the hormones ) are all within healthy ranges and as soon as I hit my goal weight I'm stopping by the old doctor's office just to thumb my nose
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 189/169/150

Height: 5'8"

A year ago my doctor, who looks about my age, told me I should start exercising. She added I probably wouldn't see a difference, but I should just force myself to keep at it. Then she mused as to why she continues to exercise because nothing has improved for her. With that inspiring motivational speech (not) I walked out of her office and straight back to my couch.

Now I bet she wasn't weight training and with the knowledge I've recently gained, maybe I should give her some advice.
pinkcarnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcarnation View Post
A year ago my doctor, who looks about my age, told me I should start exercising. She added I probably wouldn't see a difference, but I should just force myself to keep at it. Then she mused as to why she continues to exercise because nothing has improved for her.
Wow--talk about your ANTI-inspiration! I think I would have gone home and gotten into bed after that speech!
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote