Old 06-16-2008, 12:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 246(s)/238(c)/130(g)

Height: 5'4"

Question Is it Possible to lose like biggest Loser in like 3 months??

Just wondering I was watching a biggest Loser dvd my friend gave me to use. They lost sum what large amounts of weight in 10 or 11 weeks. Is it possible to do that counting calories and really really pushing the excercise?? Or even close to that. I was just wondering. I am assuming what we put into it is what we are going to get out of it. Every pictures or goal i see anyone who wants to lose 100 lbs take an average of like 11 months to year. That seems like so far from now. If its possible to lose the weight faster if I worked harder and still be healthy it might be something for me to work for...Just wondering everyones thoughts I am very very knew at this calorie Counting thing and still have to look at the labels of EVERYTHING and remembering to look at the serving sizes...I ate a flipping salad the other day thinking ohh this is healthier yeah it ended up being like 700 calories...I WAS LIKE WHAT...Ok well let me know any advice at all would be wonderful!! ttyl
momof4under5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:49 AM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

It is possible but not probable, advisable or necessarily healthy. In general, slower progress is more lasting for most of us.

Focusing on small, attainable goals that are healthier lifestyle changes instead of pounds within a time frame is best, in my opinion.

Best of luck!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

You have to remember that for the folks on The Biggest Loser, losing weight is their JOB. This is what they do for the entire 12 week period of filming. They don't go to work. They don't care for their kids. They don't spend time with their husbands/wives/boyfriends/girlfriends. They don't do anything but lose weight.

They eat meals that are planned for them by nutritionalists and nothing else. They work out between 5-8 hours a day, guided by trainers. They live, eat, breath, drink, and sleep ... weight loss.

Is it possible? Obviously it is because they do it.
Is it healthy or sustainable? I don't think so, long term.

Some of the contestants have kept up their weight loss. Many of them have not.

The fact of the matter is, that you didn't put on an extra 100 lbs in 3 months, and you're not going to take it off in 3 months - not while you live a real, normal life.

Slow and steady is the way to do it.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:10 AM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 210/155/145

I wondered the same thing

I think diet is the key. Exercise & balanced eating.

GOod luck with your goals
thin nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:13 AM   #5  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Hi! I don't know much about the Biggest Loser so I'll let others answer that, but here's something to think about. If you DON'T try to lose weight in the following year, the year will pass, same as last year and the year before and the year before that. If you do spend the year counting calories and exercising, the year will also pass. And you will come out on the other side of it smaller, maybe 100 lbs smaller, maybe not, but you will be smaller. My point is that the time will pass regardless of whether you are losing weight or not, so you can't focus on the fact that it will take a while to lose the weight. That's going to happen either way.

Also keep in ming that you will start feeling and looking better long before you lose all of the weight that you want to lose. That may happen within a couple of months (or weeks even). That certainly helps with passing the time.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

You know, I think that if I had a nutritionist cooking for me, and a television camera up my rear end 24 hours a day, and a personal trainer forcing me to work out 5 hours a day...that yes, I would lose weight faster than I am right now.

But, is that going to be sustainable, when I go back home to regular life? Probably not.

Someone losing 100 pounds in a year's time IS fast weight loss. VERY fast, actually.

A healthy rate of weight loss for most people, is in the 1-2 pounds a week range. This is with a healthy, reduced calorie diet, and regular exercise. What you will find, is that when you are at your higher weight of over 200 pounds...that you will see larger losses at first-you might lose 2, 3, 4, or even more pounds in the first week. After that, you might see 2 or 3 pounds a week for a few weeks. After that, however, it will slow down a bit. When you get very close to goal...you might only be losing 1/2 a pound a week.

My advice, is don't compare yourself to a reality show...especially one where the contestants are REMOVED from reality. (Home, family, jobs, kids, etc.) Those people have no responsibilties at the time, other than losing weight.

For those of us with kids, jobs, and households to take care of...we have to do what fits into our lifestyles. If that means you have time on Saturday for a 1 hour workout...but Wednesday night is too hectic and you only have 20 minutes for exercise...then it is what it is, and you move on. It doesn't mean that you are not putting your all into it...but that you have to strive a balance between the demands of life.

Also, enjoy the ride. If you decide that you want to lose 50, 70, or 100 pounds...it doesn't mean that you are not going to reap the rewards of weight loss until you hit that number. Trust me, there are lots of rewards along the way...

~When you realize after losing 30 pounds, that you have to go buy all new pants

~When someone who hasn't seen you in a couple of months notices that you have lost some weight

~When you go from plus size clothes, to misses size clothes

~When you realize that the workout video or class that you couldn't do through to the end at first, is now easier and you can finish every last rep.

There are LOTS of wonderful things along the way...enjoy the ride, instead of just concentrating on the end number.

If you started out at say, 220 pounds...then you should feel happy, and proud, when you reach 210, 200, 190, 180, etc.-not just when you reach goal.

Is it possible, however, to lose 100 pounds in 3 months? Not really. That would mean losing more than 1 pound a DAY, every day, for 3 months.

Last edited by aphil; 06-16-2008 at 08:07 AM.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #7  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I did a quick search and found this blog about how some of the contestants have regained weight :
http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/20...e_they_now.php

There was an article in Time magazine that talked about how they dehydrated themselves before a weigh in and ate nothing but sugar free jell-o on some days just to lose weight. Not healthy at all. Last season it seemed that there were alot of injuries also. All that exercise can be hard on the joints-knees and ankles especially.
So, I'd say it's not possible in the "real world"
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:12 AM   #8  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

jtammy, your post was really inspirational to me! Thanks!!!

I don't want to lose like the biggest loser, I just want to lose and be healthy. And a year from now, no matter what, I will weigh less and be healthier. It isn't a race, it isn't a contest, it's my life.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #9  

Thank you all for your comments. I looked up that site and now it makes sense knowing what they do and that it isnt all healthy. I know that I can work harder at it. Its hard with so many little ones that really need cared for and a family and house to take care of but if I scheduled or planned a little better i know that I can put more into it. If I maybe got up a little earlier and did some and then when everyones in bed did more. I actually thing the calorie counting is doable you just have to not eat things that have a large amount cause then you will be hungry later cause you used them all on something stupid. the few days I did try to be strict and do it I ate pretty normal just less portions and a few changes. i didnt feel hungry so i guess this is a good lifestyle to make. I have knee problems and ankle problems so it wouldnt be good to over kill the excercise so that I would injure myself worse. Ok thanks everyone.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Also, don't forget it's television--what looks ot us like it only happened in 3 months is actually much more than that. At the end of their time on the ranch, the contestants are sent home for a few months before the big finale weigh-in, so it's actually more like 6 months, not 3.

Not that losing 100 pounds in 6 months would be safe, either, but just something to mention. The only ones who have ever done 100 pounds or more JUST in their time on the ranch have been extremely obese men.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:13 PM   #11  

ahhh thanks jill that makes more sense and yes it did seem the really obese men ones lose the large amounts of weight fast. I havent watched the show in a long time cause we dont have cable but thank you for that!!
Old 06-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #12  
ZeusMeatball

S/C/G: 534/309/275

Height: 6'4''

Welp, I have lost 113 pounds now in just about 5.5 months, 70 of that was within the first three, saying that I am doing it unhealthy or that it is unhealthy for me is just plain old silly. I started out at 534 pounds and could walk about 1/4 of a mile before I had to take a break, THAT is unhealthy for me. now I walk for 2 miles for my daily walk @ 421 lbs and can walk indefinitely and have not found a need for a "rest" any more, in fact I walked for close to 6 hours this past weekend through out the day, a feat that just 6 months ago would have been impossible. someone that is 260 lbs and needs to get to 160 lbs? maybe that person will find that it takes longer losing 100 lbs because the closer you are to your "perfect weight" the slower it will come off. I often read responses that say not to lose more than 1-2 lbs at a time and yet three docs have told me different, don't believe the internet

as far as keeping it off? I can't speak from experience YET as I still have a long road ahead of me but I suspect that if I keep on living a healthier life including good eating habits and exercise that I will prove that it can be done and put the naysayers at bay as far as the losing it too fast and keeping it off thing goes. diets don't work, determination does along with sticking to the plan even after you lose your "goal" worth of weight, after all its not going to stay off if you resume old habits right?

by the way, I am a stay at home dad to my 2 children, a 2.5 year old and a 9 year old with special needs, I make time for my workouts, I make sure the kids are fully entertained and sometimes those 2 things are the same thing in fact ie: trips to a park or a walk down to the local ice cream spot along with many more things. the house is cleaned every day, and dinner is on the table every night, cooked by yours truly, yard work is done etc etc etc, and during all of that I have managed to drop 113 lbs this year, I say YES it can be done and YES it will be a lasting weight loss a long a a person maintains the life style.

My wife has lost 49 lbs in the same time and holds a full time position in a very demanding job and helps with household chores and the children as well ,and you will not find a happier or more content couple anywhere. thats my long answer lol and I apologize if it ranted a bit there in the middle

My short answer is Yes it can be done.

of course YMMV

As Ever
Me
Botzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Not to be a spoilsport here, but I would like to point out that at a starting weight of 534, a loss of 70 lbs in 3 months averages at almost exactly the 1% maximum loss per week that is becoming more widely accepted as "sensible."

Losing faster than this is associated with side effects such as hair loss, dry skin, gall bladder problems, mitrovalve prolapse (heart damage), vitamin deficiency and rebound weight gain (gaining it all back and usually some extra).

Doesn't mean that any or all of the side effects are inevitable, but the risks for them increase.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-17-2008 at 10:04 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #14  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Botz - not to harsh your vibe, but there is a big difference between where you started and where OP is right now. I find you highly inspirational, BTW.

I don't think a year is an out of control goal to lose 100 pounds...but I also don't think anyone is a failure if they don't pull it off. Like Aphil said - a big part of the fun is the journey. I am a firm believer in "slow and steady wins the race" when it comes to weight loss. Maintaining is a life long journey - if you don't build life long habits while you lose....your chances of success at maintaining are greatly reduced.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

What the last two posters said.

There's a huge difference between starting at 500+ and losing 70 lbs and starting at 230 and losing nearly 1/3 of your entire body weight.

1-2 lbs is a safe loss for *most* people. Once you get down to 200-ish pounds, more than 2 lbs a week (on average) is not really safe or sustainable. If you're more than that, then the 1% of your bodyweight guideline kicks in.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote