Old 06-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default This Weeks Healthiest Food - Napa Cabbage

I don't eat cabbage often and rarely napa cabbage. I do like it though.

Food of the Week . . . Napa Cabbage

Did you know that all varieties of cabbage are great for weight loss? One cup of raw Napa cabbage contains only 15 calories while supplying you with a wealth of health-promoting nutrients. Like its other cruciferous cousins, broccoli, kale and mustard greens, Napa cabbage is not only a rich source of vitamin C and dietary fiber, but also contains many unique sulfur-containing phytonutrients, such as indole-3-carbinole (I3C) and sulforaphane. I3C and sulforaphane help activate and stabilize the body's antioxidant and detoxification mechanisms. Other sulfur compounds, which are produced as a result of cutting, chewing or digesting cabbage, increase the liver.s ability to produce enzymes that neutralize potentially toxic substances. Cabbage is readily available, inexpensive, and easy to prepare. While most individuals are more familiar with green cabbage than Napa cabbage, we hope you'll enjoy this variety of cabbage as part of your Healthiest Way of Eating this week. Napa! cabbage actually contains 5% more vitamin C, 7% more folate, 16% more vitamin A, 26 mg more calcium and 10 times more beta carotene than green cabbage

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=19
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:22 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I love cabbage. It's crunchy, tasty, incredibly filling and oh so very low in calories.

But, I can't ever recall eating Napa Cabbage. I'll have to give it a try some time.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:29 AM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I like napa cabbage in soups.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

When we make Japanese food or fried rice we always cut up a bunch of Napa cabbage in it. I don't know what to do with it otherwise.
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #5  

I am eating some now in a salad that includes the sliced napa cabbage, cucumber, tomoto, plums (fresh off the tree), grapes, green onion, avacado, shrimp, a few chopped roasted peanuts, some tofu shirataki noodles (for another texture)- all dressed with a mustardy/soy/fish sauce/citrus dressing. I like to let it sit a bit.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #6  
LLV

I like Napa
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #7  
No description available.

I'm going to go to Tommy's house and share that salad.

I like Napa cabbage in stir fries, wraps, soups....'tis yummo!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote