Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #1  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Default Need an Explanation About This Pls.

I tried googling this, but Im not really sure what to google.

(I started working with a personal trainer about 4 weeks ago)

So.....

I came to a realization today, that very high sugary foods eaten within a couple hours of my intense workout with my pt means I have very little to absolutely no discomfort.

Yesterday was an awesome workout, and by rights I should be quite sore. Stuff was good and wobbly when I left! She even said I'll likely be sore today, and to keep moving.

3 weeks ago I got into a bag of marshmallows on the sunday (workout was on friday) the discomfort on saturday was quite intense!! By monday afternoon (marshmallows on sunday) I was (almost) back to normal.

My pt tells me to eat a protein and a complex carb within 90min of my workout. But instead yesterday I had marshmallows about 60min after my workout. Today I have very slight discomfort.

Is this my imagination? Or is there really something to this? Am I undoing the workout I just put in? I havent talked to my pt yet about this, but I will. Today seemed to be a lightbulb day. Im going to bring it up at our next session.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

It's hard to tell. Do you know you worked out in a way that would normally make you sore? If not, then it may not be the marshmallows at all! And, it might be something else, too...

Okay, I'm not much help!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Hard to tell unless you really do a kind of controlled study.

Did you eat the marshmallows *and* extra protein? Did you drink more water? Is it a workout that's made you sore before? Is it something you might be adapting to?

I dunno. I'm reluctant to say that eating marshmallows after a workout will alleviate soreness. But it could be. Who knows.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Sorry, but I don't think it's the marshmallows. I'm rarely sore for more than a couple of days after a even a really intense workout, so I suspect that when you were sore after your Friday workout three weeks ago, you would have been almost back to normal by Monday with or without the marshmallows. In fact, if you were still feeling the same level of discomfort on Monday that you had felt on Saturday, a visit to your doctor probably would have been in order.

I also think that now that you are four weeks into your sessions with your trainer, your body is starting to adjust. I've never been sore like I was sore that first week with my trainer. I still get sore sometimes after a particularly good workout, but it's never as bad as it was that first week. So I suspect that it's just that your body is adjusting.

Sometimes it's hard to predict when you will be sore from a workout. There's times when my trainer tells me I'll be sore and I'm not. Other times neither of us expects me to be sore and I am. Yet, my eating is pretty consistent.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #5  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Blue...I think you're most likely just adapting to the workouts and getting more fit. That's bad news for the marshmallows, but good news for you! Try a protein shake with a banana, instead.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #6  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

well I didnt think it was the marshmallows, I thought maybe it had something to do with the sugar.

Yup, I drink my protein shake after my workout.

Yup, I know better than to eat the marshmallows

My first offical workout was excellent, but I was wicked sore for days afterward. (like never in my life) But I got over it, and thank goodness it hasnt been that bad since.

Thanks everyone for your imput!
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote