Thread: Scared to try
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
kaplods

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Thanks Gina,
I wish I remembered to use such "pearls of wisdom" on myself more often. So I guess I should print it and put it on my fridge too!.

I did print up little motivational posters "You Can Do It!" and "Make Every Choice Count," and I put them on the walls of my bedroom, bathroom and in the kitchen inside the cabinet doors and on the fridge. They really did help, for a while, but even though I look at them every day, I've stopped noticing them. I just read an article recently in a doctors office that "reminders" on the fridge only work for (I don't remember how many days, but it wasn't a lot). I guess I really need to replace them more frequently, maybe make them different colors, I don't know.

I also read that a reminder in the fridge, is better than on the fridge, especially if it's something very out of place, like a stuffed animal or something (Eww though, I just imagine all the fridge odor soaking into little Mr. Piggy).

No matter how you slice it, hanging in there is tough though. Our cultural expectations for dieting are the diet cycle:

Deprivation - Frustration - Hopelessness - Surrender - Indulgence - Remorse -Repentance - Deprivation

It's hard to break that cycle, because in many ways it means swimming upstream against conventional dieting wisdom. I find it soo easy to fall into old patterns, especially since I've been on that carousel for 36 years. It was ingrained in me by kindergarten (my first diet) that if it tastes good, I probably should feel guilty for eating it - and all sorts of anti-pearls.

But, one step at a time, and I figure I'm going to be doing this for the rest of my life, so if it takes me two more years or twenty to get to my goal weight, it really doesn't matter all that much, epecially since the weight isn't my only goal. Even when I get to my goal weight, I'm sure I will still have new health goals to set, work for and accomplish.

Colleen

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote