Old 06-13-2008, 08:22 AM   #1  

Height: 5'-2"

Thumbs up The Happy and Grateful Club!

"Most folks are about as happy as they
make up their minds to be."

Abraham Lincoln

Sassy_Chick had this great idea for a thread, and we thought we'd enter it as a "club". You don't have to post regularly or "join up". It's for anyone on the forum to post about something positive in their lives.

I'll start.

Last week one of my eyelids suddenly drooped, and I started experiencing pain in that side of my face. On Wednesday of this week the pain worsened, and I had my DH take me to Emergency. (I won't mention how many hours we were there, because this is a happy club. )
I had to have an ECG and a CT scan, and I was really really frightened. I was thinking stroke, brain tumor, etc.
I knew that a lot of people were sending prayers/good thoughts my way, and as we sat in the waiting room I thought about my kids, and how sad they would be to lose me. But I also thought about how grateful I am for the good life I've had. I couldn't have asked for a better life... I'm so blessed. And I felt "sort of" okay with whatever results I would get. I felt at peace with myself.

Anyhow, the tests completely relieved my fears.
And while I am thankful for that, I'm also very grateful for the positive attitude I was able to maintain while waiting for the results. I know that my inner strength is great.

What are you grateful for?

Last edited by ellis; 06-13-2008 at 08:23 AM.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #2  
I like to move it,move it

S/C/G: 330/275/160

Height: 5'6"

I love this post! What an overwhelming thing to know that the worst could happen, yet you were able to think of what a great life you have had. I hope that I would be the same way.
I feel so grateful for all the support I have in my life. I have THE MOST supportive husband. Whatever I do, he stands at my side. I have a LARGE, CLOSE extended family. My cousins are some of my best friends and then I have great, wonderful friends too. No matter what road I take in life, or where I am, I know that there are many people to turn to. I think of the people out there who don't have anyone....it makes me realize how very blessed I am.
November2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

last week I reached a Milestone in the world of Parenthood. My son graduated. He is my first of two. As part of his graduation reception I made a slide show on the computer set to music. I spent more than on night at the computer until the wee hours of the morning, scanning pictures and tweeking the order so they sort of "went with" the music.

As I sat there working I wasn't thinking, "I have I given this child the skills he needs to face the world?" Instead my thoughts were of, "How much I learned from my son!"

I learned there is no greater love than the love between a mother and child. I have learned what it is like to love someone so much I would put myself in harms way to protect and nuture him. I learned sometimes kids need love the most when they seem to deserve it the least. I leanred no matter how much they hurt...it hurts you more. I learned life is precious and you should enjoy every minute, it can be taken way too soon. Never take your health for granted that too can change in a heartbeat. I have learned Hamsters can live for many months roaming freely in your home with you knowing. Yogurt and water mixed on a laminent floor make the worlds greatest slip n slide. Sometimes you have to let children make the smaes mistakes you did, so they can learn the same lessons you did. You're never too old for bedtimes stories. One pack of bubblegum in the dryer will continue to cause problems for a very very long time. I have learned no matter how big he gets he will always be my little boy.

He has not been the easiet child to raise, but he is MINE!! I am more bleesed than I ever thought possible!!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #4  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Talking Yay!!!

YAY!!! Thanks Ellis for starting this thread!!!

If anybody wants to know my motivation for this thread it was an experience I had at work. I won't go into details, but basically a coworker said some very nasty things about me. It totally devastated me for some reason. I should be used to that after a lifetime of hearing that sort of thing, but I dunno I just never expected it at work with grown adults.

But several people pointed out to me that there are A LOT worse things in life than having a weight problem or people at work not liking you. At least I am still able to get up every night (I work nights) and walk to my car and drive myself to work.

I am blessed because I have a WONDERFUL husband who is also my best friend. He treats me like a and is the most caring and loving man ever! I am also blessed to have such a wonderful Mother who raised me mostly by herself and she never gave up! She is an awesome Mom who always accepted me for me and didn't try to "change" me. She just kinda "rolled with the punches". She is my hero.

I am also blessed to have known such a great man as my step dad. He passed away in 03' from cancer. But he was the most positive man or person I have ever met! He was just so kind and was always there for anybody who needed help. He showed my mom and I that there are people out there who care about people AND can show it. He always hugged us and told us he loved us. He brought my mom and I even closer together. Now we always hug each other and say we love each other. Growing up, that became less and less the older I got.

I was also very blessed to have such wonderful Grandparents and still am as I still have a Grandma and a Grandpa who are still around. My Grandma who passed in 01' taught me so much about cooking and life in general. I can still remember all the things she used to say and I'm so glad I got that very valuable time with her. My Grandpa who passed showed me that life is meant to enjoy and you should "live it up" while you can. He showed me that it was okay to be a little "Sassy" as that makes you unique, as he was.......My other Grandpa who passed was "technically" my "Step" grandpa, but he never treated me any different than his other grandchildren, nor did his son. He was a very caring and loving man. My Grandpa that is still alive is 94 years old and up to 7-8 years ago, he was living all by himself on his farm! He now is in a nursing home where my Aunt works. I don't get to see him or a lot of my family that much due to my schedule and they are out-of-state. But he was my biggest "Father" figure influence. Go figure that his son is my biological father.......Anywho, he was the one who spent the most time with me, besides my mom. He took me everywhere with him, I got to feed the cows, we would take walks in his pasture, he used to pull me around on the wooden sled that my own father used to ride on (yeah that was a LONG time ago!! lol) He used to tell me stories about him and my Grandma, who passed away before I was born. I remember him talking about their honeymoon to Niagra Falls and I am so blessed that I got to visit Niagra Falls not once, not twice, but three times!!! Once was just my husband and myself, then we took our parents when they came up to see us when we lived in Upstate NY. I am so glad we did that.

I am also blessed to have a cousin who I was raised with, our mothers were best friends and infact we were "together" even before we were born and our moms were pregnant with us,they would hang out together. Unfortunately she never got to know her mom, she died shortly after giving birth. But my cousin was blessed with my grandparents who adopted her and my mom who was there most of her life growing up and still is. She is more like my sister than my cousin. We don't get to see each other a lot, her living out-of-state and all, but we do talk online. (Isn't the internet great?) And although we dont' get to see one another a lot, we still would be there in an instant if the other needed anything and we always hug each other and say we love each other every time we do see each other. I was very blessed to have gotten to take care of her daughter so much when she was a baby and a child. (I babysat her) She was the most beautiful baby ever and she still is very beautiful!! But I guess I am "biased" lol.

Well I guess I should stop now. lol. But I am very very grateful for all the wonderful blessings in my life!!! Oh and of course I am very very grateful for this wonderful forum where I have met so many wonderful people!!!

Big
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #5  
On a mission AGAIN!!!!

S/C/G: 251/248.4/199

Height: 5"6

**** Love this******
I am blessed, I have the best family and friends a girl can ask for. I love my job and everything that goes with it! It is a little different for me here, I do not have any babies, or a husband! I have a girlfriend she is amazing and we have a blessed life! Its a little scary telling strangers your gay because people Judge! But I am just like you well almost lol! I have the two smartest nephews and a family that supports me 100%
My nine year old nephew in his third grade class teacher asked him if it was ok to tease other kids.
He stood up and very proudly said!
you need to accept people for who they are, and if that means your white and you like a black person then you do!((my other nephew is mixed)) if your a girl that likes girls, like them its you... No one should tell you what to do but you!!!
My sister called me after his teacher called her to thank her for teaching her child there is no room for hate!! It brought a tear to my eyes! If a nine year old child can figure it out, what a shame adults can not pull it together!
That is why I am blessed..........
I am also blessed because my girlfriend knew i was stressing about my weight and bought me an I-pod for my walks new shoes and a scale, with a letter about how much she love's and will support me, but thinks I am beautiful across the board... she is amazing

Last edited by Michanaver; 06-13-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Michanaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:23 PM   #6  
I like to move it,move it

S/C/G: 330/275/160

Height: 5'6"

KateB, I just called my mom and read her your post......we cried together over the phone.......good timing with that (as I have a much younger sister who is wonderful, but frustrating us because of choices she is making).
I am very grateful for your post!
November2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #7  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I need to add one before I am off to bed:

I am grateful that I found a Thread on here that is all about people who work the night shift just like I do!!! It is very different when you work an odd shift and trying to eat right and exercise. I so look forward to talking more to those ladies!!!

Have a Good Afternoon All!

Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

November-
I am glad my post helped put things into perspective. My son is bipolar. He has attempted suicide 3 times. He has made some bad choices, he has learned from his mistakes. He dropped out of high school early in his JR year. But he got his GED and graduated, actually a year sooner than he would have if he had stayed in high school.

He has not been the easiest child to parent, but I love him more than words can describe. I think he has helped make me the strong person that I am today. he has also taught me to NEVER take things for granted. We came so close to losing him. I can't even allow myself to think of what my life would be like without him.

Michanaver-
Your nephew sounds awesome!! My daughter has much the same philosophy. We live in a rural community without a lot of diversity. However her best friend is mixed, her other close friends are Hispanic and Columbian. She has NO TIME for prejudice of any sorts. My father is gay and his partner's sister is lesbian. In school my daughter's 8th grade English class was reading a book that used the "Q" word. A word we have never allowed in out house. She refused to read it, told the teacher she could fail her in the class if she choose but she was not reading that book. This child stand up for what she believes in!!

I am SO DEEPLY BLESSED!!! What parent could ask for more??
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote