Old 06-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default New York City

So I am leaving for New York City tomorrow. For anyone who's been or lives close, what's not to miss?

The list already includes...
Times Square
Statue of Liberty
Yankees Game
Ground Zero
Central Park
Rockefeller Center

What else should we not miss? (keep in mind Jacob is 7)
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #2  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Hey, I was born and raised in NYC... so somewhat of an expert here lol

I would add Metropolitian Museum of Art to that list (you can go there and explore Central Park on the same day). I would also throw in Ellis Island if you're going to the Statue of Liberty, since one boat takes you to both, but order your tickets in advance online (I dont have the website at hand, but you can google it).

I would also add Greenwich Village to that list.

The one thing I'm iffy about is Ground Zero... I feel it's been turned into a tourist trap and imo that is not good. I think it shouldn't be visited "to be seen" with the list of other attractions... I'm not saying thats you intention, of course, but I'd be wary of it... if you see anything that comes off as disrespectful or inappropriate while there (i.e. t-shirts with the words "I BEEN TO GROUND ZERO!" or something) please flee with a quickness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
So I am leaving for New York City tomorrow. For anyone who's been or lives close, what's not to miss?

The list already includes...
Times Square
Statue of Liberty
Yankees Game
Ground Zero
Central Park
Rockefeller Center

What else should we not miss? (keep in mind Jacob is 7)
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I had heard that at ground zero they have a really nice memoriblia area downstairs that has kids drawings. That's what I want to see. Plus, I want Jacob to understand. I get you about it being "touristy"

thanks for the tips, they have been added to the list!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:23 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would second the metropolitan museum of art. I had a great time when I went there.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:47 PM   #5  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I'll add a few!

Empire State Building
Central Park Zoo
Natural History Museum

You might want to look at the passes you can get. You can buy a pass and it will get you into 40 or so places. http://www.newyorkpass.com/
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #6  
started 1/28/08

I'd add the Brooklyn Heights promenade. It is a waterfront park/boardwalk area with a great view of Manhattan in a very nice historic neighborhood, and it'll give you a chance to see one of the other boroughs. If you're interested, take the 4, 5, 2 or 3 subway train downtown to the Boro Hall stop (1st stop in Brooklyn) and walk a few blocks toward the river to get to the promenade. While you're in Brooklyn Heights, check out Montague Street (nice shops and restaurants), especially if you're a Bob Dylan fan!

Hope you have a great trip to NYC.
Merksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #7  
Manda

S/C/G: 304.5/165/149

Height: 5'2"

We went in Jan for the first time. You should take Jacob to FAO Schwartz. I loved the Apple Store that is right in front of the toy store. Even not really being into the whole Apple/Ipod thing the store was really cool. Have fun!
ahill1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:26 PM   #8  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

No, I absolutely think it's worthwhile to visit -- just be wary if you see anything inappropriate. Granted, I haven't been there in a long long long time, so probably a lot has changed and they've added actual worthwhile elements, like children's drawings, etc.

But HAVE FUN! New York is pretty great (most of the time). I would also suggest (to save money AND get the experience) riding the subway a bit. Many of the things listed are on the 5/4/6 train lines, which will bring you all the way from The Bronx (Yankee Stadium on the 4 line) to the State of Liberty, etc.

Also, suggestion: if you're really into seeing a zoo while here, come to The Bronx; The Bronx Zoo is one of the best in the world.

I would also do a dinner one night in Little Italy/Chinatown downtown. But for an even more, um, colorful Italian dining experience, again, come to Arthur Avenue in the The Bronx (sorry to push my home borough so hard, but The Bronx is as real NY as it comes).

So many suggestions! lol Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I had heard that at ground zero they have a really nice memoriblia area downstairs that has kids drawings. That's what I want to see. Plus, I want Jacob to understand. I get you about it being "touristy"

thanks for the tips, they have been added to the list!

Last edited by KLK; 06-13-2008 at 01:29 PM.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I second the Museum of Natural History. It was my favorite museum as a kid, and I was always asking to go. The Met I just found boring. I went to the Natural History recently, and it was interesting on a different level. I think that one's good for the whole family.

I don't see any plays on your list, but if you're theater people, you should try to catch one. I saw my first broadway show (Peter Pan) when I was about Jacob's age, and I loved it. There are several kid-friendly shows up on Broadway and off-Broadway, so you may want to check them out. (Depending on what your schedule looks like and whether or not you're willing to wait on line for about an hour, the TDF booth offers a less expensive way to get tickets, but the choices are also more limited.) There's also Shakespeare in the Park, but they're currently doing Hamlet, which might be a bit much for a seven year old.

If you're going to Central Park, don't miss the Central Park Zoo.

It's sounds kind of hokey, but you may enjoy one of the double-decker bus tours. I've never been on one myself, but friends who've gone (who are native NYers) told me that they had a lot of fun on it.

If you want to get a taste of NY, check the NY Times to see which street fairs or festivals are going on. They can be a lot of fun, especially the cultural ones.

Are there any specific kinds of things you want to do?

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Default take comfy shoes

I mostly lurk here, but had to jump in since we recently took a trip to NYC. Being a large woman, my feet really suffered. We walked a lot when we were there which I think it is unavoidable, I did lose 5 pounds though! Get some crocs shoes, they saved us. I wear them at home all the time but didn't think to take them. After the first two days and some terrible blisters we found a Journeys store that sold crocs and we all got a pair. That's all we wore the rest of the time. The double decker buses were a lot of fun and you really get to see everything that way, they also give your feet a break. The kids got a kick out of the subways, we rode them the whole time we were there. It's so much easier to get around that way, and less expensive. We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge at night, it's so beautiful! Have fun, we can't wait to go back.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #11  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I haven't been there since I was a kid, but I'm going in July, so I am excited to hear all about it when you get back! Have a great time.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #12  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Before I even read any responses first thought was Ellis Island but KLK has that covered, lol.
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #13  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

definately visit coney island, as this will be the last season that the attractions there will be running as we now know them. you seem to like baseball, so you could go to a cyclones game there at keyspan park...tickets are less then $12. also if you are going to be in the bronx at a yankee game, or the bronx zoo...you should have dinner on city island (which is a short distance from both locations)...thats if you like seafood.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I am also going to NYC this year! Very interesting to see what you are all suggesting too!

M&M store - my friend was saying you can get your initials on them, I think thats very cool.. even if I don't like them! I am thinking of getting some for presents for others!

The signs! OMG! they are too funny... I actually have one in a frame in my house it says "don't even THINK about parking here".. lol.. makes me laugh!

I know the sights I will be seeing are Times Square, Apple store of course (my family all owns apples), Google office, central park, our hotel is right there.. and the met!

Anyone got any advice on shopping??

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 306/196.6/180

Height: 5ft8.5

I'm going in July too! With my nanny charge (6) as her mom works right in TS and commutes from Rochester. I know we are going to what's supposed to be the biggest Build-A-Bear store and I am thinking Central Park/Zoo & National History Museum. Other than that I think her mom will plan it out. Personally I'd love to see a show and do some shopping, G.Vill too. My niece moved to Brooklyn and she works in UES and as a model so we will be hitting the town @ night! Gotta see TS @ night also, the lights! Yay- can't wait!
Hart is offline   Reply With Quote