Old 06-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #1  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

Default this may be a stupid question but i need to know ....

lets say you weigh 200 pounds ... and lets just say a cup of water is 16 oz ( 1 pound ... if you put the glass of water on the scale and you get on with it you now weigh 201 pounds .... ( your weight plus the weight of 16 oz of water ) if you drank the water dont you now weigh 201 also ?? i know you will say its water weight , but where does it go? if your recomended to drink 8 glasses of water a day how does your body get rid of all of it ? and if it dosent , wouldent that mean your getting heavier and heavier just by drinking water?

im sorry about the stupid question ... i think very randomly ....
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Normally, it um, goes into the toilet in about 20 minutes or so (at least that's my average, exact timing and amount is going to vary quite a bit, I'd imagine).

If your body isn't getting rid of the water you can gain weight. It's called edema, and it's swelling caused by excess water in the tissues.

The body is generally pretty good at getting rid of all the water it's supposed to and hanging onto only what it needs to.

Last edited by kaplods; 06-12-2008 at 12:07 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

If you drink a cup of water or eat something and immediately step on the scale, yes, you'll weigh that much more because the liquid/food is in your stomach.

As the food is digested, the various nutrients are metabolized throughout your body. Water is not only passed through your kidneys into your bladder, it's passed into your bloodstream, into your muscles, into your skin, into all the tissues of your body.

You lose that water by breathing (yes, you lose moisture with each breath), by pee'ing, by sweating, and just by evaporation from your skin.

If you don't replenish that water, then you become deyhdrated.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #4  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

that makes sense .... wonderful awnser @ photo chick ive never thought of that thank you ...
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote