Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/238/180

Height: tall enough to know what's on top of your refrigerator

Default BFL Challenge Day 1

Today is the day. I cannot go on being overweight like this.

It's time for a 12 week Challenge.

Anybody care to join me?
denvertechchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #2  
I like to move it,move it

S/C/G: 330/275/160

Height: 5'6"

I am in the last two weeks of a 12 week challenge, and I need something started to keep me going-------I'm in.
November2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #3  

Hey November!

WOW - 40 pounds down in 10 weeks?!?

YOU ROCK!

Thanks for joining me. I need to stick with it. All year I have been saying "I'll start tomorrow" - and here it is, almost summer!

I did BFL several years ago and had great results. Then I had a back injury and could not do cardio for a long time. So now I'm back (no pun intended) at square one.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #4  

I should have started at square one many pounds ago.....but at least I am finnally getting somewhere. This is the first time I have ever made significant progress. I have slowly just went up and up. I am very excited to fit into clothes that I havent fit into in years. I also just went out and bought my first swimsuit in my entire adult life. It doesn't look terrible, though I am going to feel very self conscious in it.
I have been weighing in every Friday--and since this is one of the last two weeks in my original competition, I'm hoping to lose about 4lbs. I weighed in at 289 last week.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #5  

Good job, November! I'm so proud of you. Inches lost is FANTASTIC.

When I did BFL a few years ago, it took about 20 weeks for the weight to start coming off. Luckily, I had been taking measurements, and I noticed that the inches came off a lot sooner than the pounds did, so I stuck with it. Now we know how to do the program - it's just a matter of staying with it. "No Matter What" is my mantra - no matter what, I'll be getting my workouts in during the next 12 weeks.

Had a great upper body workout last night, looking forward to cardio tonight!

What's YOUR mantra?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #6  

Good question....what is my mantra. I'll have to think about that one and get back to you.
I had a good cardio workout this morning. Considering when I first started using the eliptical, I could only go about 2 minutes, my 60 minutes this morning was great. I also pushed myself so I burned more calories and went farther than I ever had before. I am determined to have a good week.
I had cousins (who are very good friends also) over at my house last night (yes, we have a weekly AI ritual). They are so supportive. We used to focus so much around food for get togethers, and to an extent, we still do. But they brought fresh cut up veggies and sugar free cool whip and raspberries. Very good.
Still thinking about my mantra.........
Old 05-22-2008, 06:58 PM   #7  

Hi November,

How about that AI show? George Michael has such a wonderful voice.

Plugging away at the first of 12 weeks. I took photos yesterday, but I think the film was loaded in the camera wrong. D'oh! :homer: More photos tomorrow, just to be sure I have them.

How are you doing? Any other lurkers care to join us? We will finish our challenges in July. (just in time to enjoy the summer!)
Old 06-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #8  

CONGRATS to November on your 50 # loss!

Great job!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

I'm starting BFL today and am looking for others who are on the program to keep me on track. I don't have a weight loss goal, I just want to feel good in a bathing suit and have more energy. I live in FL and I want to be confident on the beach. I can't wait to start building muscles!

How are you guys doing so far?
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #10  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

Could someone fill me in on what BFL consists of. I heard of a book awhile back, should I purchase it before beginning the program because I'd sure like to drop 40 lbs. in 10 weeks!!!
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:57 PM   #11  

Welcome, Genesis & OptimistK! Great to have more folks on the challenge board.

Genesis, I loved your blog story. Barf out fer shur. I don't think I could handle the lake swimming. I have a hard enough time in the ocean!
Your blog looks like you are very active already. If you want to read more about lifting, I've been reading a book recently that is hard to put down. Arnold Schwarzenegger's The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. This book answered SOOOOO many questions I had about lifting! Personally, I find it incredibly reassuring to know that people with amazing bodies really have to work and work hard to get those bodies. There are lots of "struggle" and "work to failure" photos.

November, where are you? I hope you are at the gym?

OptimistK, it took me a year to lose 60 pounds on BFL a few years ago. I had a back injury and I'm cleared to work out hard at the gym again. I think that it's common for people to lose around 20 pounds per 12 week challenge. This is a good, steady weight loss pace. I'd love to lose more faster, but I know that just moving in the right direction is where I want to be. My body doesn't lose weight too quickly.

So how am I doing so far? Well, the scale is crawling downward, the tape measure is doing the same, but my clothes are fitting better and everything seems just a lot easier. It's week 4 for me, and I can feel a difference already. Every day is a hard workout, but every day is that much closer to living a more energetic and healthy life. (OK who am I kidding - every workout brings me closer to another free day!!!!) I'm using FitDay for EVERY day, though, so it doesn't get too out of hand.

Had a stress-filled day today, so I came home and went for a bike ride to get the stress out of my head. And I got a wolf-whistle! There are some hills on my favorite bike path that used to be a bear to get over. Today they seemed a lot easier. I know I'm doing well - keep on keepin' on!
Old 06-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #12  

Thanks for the welcome, Denver! I've gotten over my fear of open water swimming and actually enjoy lake swimming now. It's so much more fun than pool swimming. And thanks for the book recommendations!

Day 1 of BFL and I skipped my workout! But hey, I was still sore from my weekend exercise-a-thon. On Saturday I did a 2k open water swim followed by a 20 mile bike ride and on Sunday I did a short run followed by some lower body work. My legs were sore on Monday, so I took the day off. However, I did pretty well at following the BFL eating plan on Monday. This morning I did a 30 minute walk/jog with my husband (he's trying to work up to running a 5k so I go on his workouts and "coach" him to keep him motivated) followed by the 20 minute BFL "aerobic solution." Once hubby was home and done with his workout, I busted my rear for 20 minutes doing interval running. It was a great workout. So I really did 30 minutes of light to moderate cardio followed by 20 minutes of intense cardio. I hope that's ok. Per the BFL book, you're not supposed to do more than 20 minutes, but oh well.

OptimistK, I recommend either purchasing the book or checking it out from the library, if it's available. And I recommend the original Body for Life book, not the Body for Life for Women book. The plan is very straight forward and, in my opinion, not too difficult to follow. You get to eat a lot (you just have to eat the right foods in the right balance at the right times) and you exercise 6 days a week for less than 1 hour a day (approx. 45 min/day on your weight lifting days and approx. 20 min/day on your cardio days). It's a sensible plan that, if followed correctly, will give you wonderful results. The keys to success are being honest with your eating and sticking to the program and really pushing yourself during your workouts. If you workout at a low to moderate intensity, you're not going to experience the results you see in the book. You have to WORK IT to BURN IT!!!!

Hope everybody is having a great day!

Last edited by Genesis; 06-10-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #13  

Good Morning......It's been a while since I checked in, but yes, I have been at the gym. It is good to see so many more people on here.
I've had an ok week, but not fantastic. All because of my own choices. I took a weekend out of town and was proud of decisions I made as far as eating goes---but when I got back home I slacked for a day or so. I'm trying to move on from my downfall. I'm not sure how much more I have lost yet, but I think it bring me to about 277-------
ok, going to read some blogs ---Have a fantastic day!!
Old 06-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #14  

November, traveling can be murder on your eating plan, so good for you for keeping it together while out of town. I travel a lot for work and have a very difficult time when I'm on the road.

Yesterday I did a light lower AND upper body weight training workout. Since I skipped upper body on Monday, I thought I'd double up on Wednesday but take it easy and not push too hard. My hamstrings are tight today but other than that I feel good. I only ate three meals yesterday, but I'm ok w/ that. Around 11 am I had a bowl of Fage yogurt w/ fresh berries and a sprinkle of Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal and then around 5 pm I had a vegetarian whole wheat wrap with veg chili and fresh field greens, then around 8 pm I had a low fat latte, which I'm counting as my last meal. Not perfect eating, but not bad either. I'll call it a victory!

So far today I haven't eaten anything but I've done my 20 minutes of interval running, which was challenging. I was low on energy when I got up this morning and wanted to blow off my workout, but I didn't. I ended up pushing myself harder than I originally expected I would and worked up quite a sweat. It felt good. In 30 more minutes I'll have my first meal of the day....egg whites on whole wheat toast.

Hope everybody is doing well!
Old 06-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #15  

Great job Genesis! It makes me feel great when I really don't feel like doing anything, yet I push myself to work out. I feel even more accomplished then if it was a normal day.