Old 06-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Question Juicing? Is it worth it?

I have a question about juicing. I have been given a really good juicer, but I don't know the first thing about juicing. Is it good for you? Should I use juicing in place of meals or as part of my meal? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I used to juice a LOT. I am getting ready to do it again, because DH has to be on a lower insoluble fiber diet and juicing (vegetables) will be a good way to do it.

Me? I like and need fiber and it's too easy to drink 200+ calories of juice, whereas eating that same amount in whole vegetables will give me more (fullness, fiber, stable blood sugar levels) in the long run.

What kind of juicer did you get?
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

Celery, cucumber, lemon, carrot, ginger, beet is a favorite around here, by the way.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #4  

I got a Jack LaLanne juicer, which I'm told is pretty good. I was reading a few websites and they were saying don't start out with carrots or other stuff. I bought carrots. Will it hurt my stomach? I think the only veggies I have right now are carrots, spinach, spring salad mix, onion, and tomatoes. I don't really thing onions would be good, but can I create something out of this or do I need to go shopping? Oh, I have bananas too.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

My suggestion, especially with the juicer you have, is to NOT juice anything you have but the carrots. I'd go with a blend like I described. Bananas and onions, not so much.

Leafy greens are difficult at best to juice and it just ends up being wasteful and messy. Why not use those with a banana and make a green smoothie instead?

I can't understand why anyone would tell you NOT to juice carrots. I was raised by hippies and grew UP on that stuff, so I'm not sure how an adult wouldn't be able to handle it.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #6  
here we go again

S/C/G: 168/ticker/140

Height: 5 foot 7

I just want to say, that I thought this thread was about steroid use, and for the record I was going to throw my hat in the 'don't to it' side of the ring.
carolineintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #7  
FB

I've had a juicer for a few months now and love it. I don't know about your juicer, but mine (Juiceman Pro) cannot juice mushy thick things like bananas or avocados. That would clog it all up and create an unholy mess!

I don't understand why you shouldn't start with carrots? That's the first thing I ever juiced- YUMMMM!

I add some pulp back in for fiber and texture because when I juice I juice a lot - it serves as a meal or snack. Like Soul said, it can add up in calories quickly so I've never consumed it as a mere drink or accompaniment to a meal, just as a replacement.

Last edited by FB; 06-11-2008 at 12:57 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
I just want to say, that I thought this thread was about steroid use, and for the record I was going to throw my hat in the 'don't to it' side of the ring

I just dug up my Juiceman juicer, and I'm with the rest on the carrot question. Of course juice carrots! I bought myself a book a while back by the Juiceman (Jay Kordich) and he loves carrot juice! Another couple of juicing tips I've gathered along the way: don't juice apple seeds (they can make you sick), don't juice orange rind (again, sickness), and if you create a juice that you can't stomach, toss an apple in the juicer and add it to the juice. That apple taste can usually make anything palatable.
Happy juicing!
S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #9  

For the record, I don't do steroids. That was so funny.... that thought never crossed my mind.... thanks though for the support. I am for sure not going to do it now.

Thanks for the tips. I tried to do it last night, and I couldn't bring myself to do it because I didn't know what to do. I know it's sad. Should I just do carrots? I forgot what web site said it but it said not to start out with fruit or carrots because it will upset your stomach. So I guess that's a myth? Has anyone had that issue?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #10  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I like to "juice" as well and I also add some of the pulp back in for fiber as FB does. Apples (not the seeds- they are toxic) will sweeten anything. I also have the LaLanne and can juice just about anything. Strawberries and spinach are difficult, but do-able and bananas are a no go. They just have no juice to speak of I make my own V8, especially during the summer: parsley, celery, tomato, carrot and a little beet. Celery, cucumber and apples make great bases and you can just build from there! I love that I can be creative and get crazy with what I put in there and it will always taste good (and if it doesn't, it's usually an easy fix).
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Here we go -- you sound like me -- don't want to do it if you aren't going to do it just right. Well, I hear you that you're nervous to try it, but IMHO, if you juice some carrots and drink them and then get an upset stomach, then you'll know. In my experience, this has never been the case. If you really feel like you need a guide, see what books you can find. I have a great one here (The Juiceman's Power of Juicing), but there are many on the market.
Good luck!
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I don't drink juice (unless I'm sick then I buy 8 oz of oj a day and let myself drink it). I know juice is good for you but I just have trouble justifying the calories in juice, I like food I can chew.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #13  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I just saw this article and thought of all of you. Its about juicing and the benefits!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:12 AM   #14  

Quote:
I forgot what web site said it but it said not to start out with fruit or carrots because it will upset your stomach. So I guess that's a myth? Has anyone had that issue?
DH is hardcore about juicing and has been nagging me since we started dating to drink carrot juice more often with him. Carrot juice DOES make my stomach sick. DH can drink 16oz. of the stuff, but for me, anything more than 6oz makes me take an instant trip to the bathroom.

My stomach simply has a hard time digesting carrot juice. I'm sure if I consistently juiced everyday (like DH wants) over time my stomach would get used to it.

Saying that... I'd go ahead and juice the carrots. You won't know how your body is going to react until you try.
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #15  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Agreed--- I'd rather fill up on the volume of food rather than just to drink down my calories--- I like feeling filled up. I try to avoid fruit juiced b/c it's just too many calories and too little to hold me over.

(I'm with the other poster--- I thought this was about steroids as well!)
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote