Old 06-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #1  
I am the lorax.

S/C/G: 215/193/160

Height: 5'8"

Default question about calories from fat

my stepmom recently suggested I wasn't dieting properly because her diets always consisted of 25 fat calories or less a day... but that seems a little ridiculous considering soymilk alone has like 30?
I mean obviously I avoid anything processed or packaged with a lot of fat calories, like chips and cookies and such, but I don't see how 25 fat calories or less is realistic.
moralitylikeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #2  

She probably either meant 25% of her calories from fat each day, or 25 grams of fat each day.
NrsgStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #3  
I am the lorax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NrsgStudent View Post
She probably either meant 25% of her calories from fat each day, or 25 grams of fat each day.
that's what I thought at first too
no, she definitely was talking about the labeling on food that says "calories from fat"
Old 06-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #4  
Mind over platter

S/C/G: 215/195/144

Height: 5'5"

Perhaps she was confused and meant 25% of her calories came from fat? or 25 grams of fat per day? 25 grams of fat per day is a relatively low fat diet. 25 calories from fat is unhealthy. You need some healthy fat in your diet for you body to function optimally.
Manick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #5  

...hmmm... well, I'm stumped. I don't even know how someone can live for very long with that little fat. 25 calories is less than 3 grams of fat per day. She wouldn't even have enough fat in her diet to absorb certain vitamins. Maybe you could get her to explain exactly what she eats?
NrsgStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #6  
I am the lorax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NrsgStudent View Post
...hmmm... well, I'm stumped. I don't even know how someone can live for very long with that little fat. 25 calories is less than 3 grams of fat per day. She wouldn't even have enough fat in her diet to absorb certain vitamins. Maybe you could get her to explain exactly what she eats?
I think I'll just let this one go, I know not to take her "dieting advice"
I was just confused about this because she seemed so sure
Old 06-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The Ornish plan is at least 10% of calories from fat I believe, and it's generally considered one of the most extreme and therefore more difficult low fat plans to follow. I find her claim extremely suspicious.

One thing I've learned is a lot of people will give you very dubious advice, and that what they say they do and what they actually do is often very, very different.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote