Old 06-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Hot Weather Cooking

Okay chicks, here's a challenge for you!
I do not have AC and we are having a heat wave.
Why no AC, you ask, old house, DH raised in hot climate and hates AC, other renovations have to come first.
So, in the summer I try to avoid turning on my stove or oven as much as possible. I grill, we eat cold food, or I use the microwave or crock pot, which I can plug in the garage and not heat up the house. My normal rotation is cold sandwiches, tabouleh, pasta salad with tuna in it, chef salad, salade nicoise, and stuff from the grill. I'd like to increase my repertoire. I know you guys have some great recipes that would be perfect, care to share?
If it's easily portable, that's even better - we love to pack up our dinner and head for the pool after work and stay until bedtime.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Umm... your repertoire sounds delish. A quick cold blender gazpacho would be good.

I hope you don't live in the south... I'm in Va. and broiling right now!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #3  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Hmm, one thing that jumped into my mind was chicken tacos. You could cook some chicken breasts in the crock pot all day in some salsa (or whatever sauce you want them to stew in), then shred the chicken when it's done. Dress the tacos up however you want... sour cream, guacamole, tomatoes, lettuce... you get the idea.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

OMG - this thread makes me laugh!! It's FREEZING where I am, 8 degrees celsius or 46 F. I am trying to think of things to have to warm up... heh. It's also raining like its the winter... brrrr!! I think I have to turn on the heat!

Anyways - I make a pasta salad with tons and tons of veggies, I also use wheat-free pasta. I also enjoy a salad with crunchy veggies, chick peas and some feta cheese. Other than that, everything you have sounds GREAT!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #5  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

On the grill
Shish kebab
Grilled vegetables
corn on the cob
BLSL chicken breasts (marinated in balsamic vinegar, or italian dressing)
Grill extra to serve on salad
Pizza with whole wheat crust and low fat cheese on the grill with lots of veggies
grilled salmon - leftover serve cold on salad

Cold
Finger salad (bite size raw veggies) with hardboiled eggs or cold grilled chicken
Hot or cold chicken or cold tuna or tuna salad or chicken salad on a bed of salad with lots of fresh veggies
Make brown rice in the microwave with the rice in a bag, chill, add a good olive oil and vinegar dressing, onions, bell peppers and tomatoes (cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half). Add chicken or chilled black beans.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #6  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

My sister grills a lot, and a couple of her favorites happen to involve teriyaki sauce. The other night she grilled a flank steak that she'd marinated in teriyaki and then rubbed with a spice rub of rosemary, oregano, thyme, and pepper, I think. She served it with grilled asparagus and it was really good.

She also marinates lean ground beef burgers in teriyaki sauce, then grills them along with some pineapple and serves grilled pineapple teriyaki swiss burgers. They're really good.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:54 PM   #7  

I cook chicken breast in the crock pot with a packet of taco seasoning and some salsa -- serve alone or over rice.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

We have breakfast for dinner once a week - hot or cold weather. Does your grill have a side burner? Or - use the electric skillet outside - for healthy pancakes, healthy omlettes, chicken sausage, boca bacon, etc.

We love BLT's in the summer. You can do lite bacon in the microwave. I always use Boca Soy bacon for myself.

Sometimes - we will mix lite cottage cheese with chopped cucumber, sweet onion or chive and have that with grilled corn on the cob. Fresh sliced tomatoes go so well with this.

Keep the fan going, Schmoodle!

Here's my take of a recipe my Grandma and Mom would make. It's so refreshing in the summer.

Sweet and Sour Cucumber and onions

4-5 cucumber - peeled, scored with the tines of a fork and then slice
1 sweet or red onion - cut in half and thinly slice
2 cups warm water
2 cups red wine vinegar ( I use Pompeii brand - you can use a different vinegar)
1 cup sugar - of course, now I use splenda
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
Put cut cut up veggies in bowl. In separte bow, mix splenda (or sugar), add to veggie mixture, add salt and pepper. Refrigerate. Must make this the night before serving. Yum.

I am always asked to make these for family get togethers. Also, a great dish to take for a picnic.

Once you have the these ratio's you can, of course, make smaller batches - just using the ratio.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-09-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #9  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I eat breakfast foods for dinner in hot weather.

I love yogurt with fruit, and eggs on the side.

Wraps are also great, and can be hot or cold.

The grill is our best friend. We put everything on the grill. Just use a baking sheet and you can cook clam strips, fish sticks, french fries, those type of things. Foil packets filled with veggies and seasoned up. Boca burgers, turkey brats (YUM!!), chicken sausages.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

It's over 90F in Massachusetts these last few days. I make great kabobs over the weekend - steak & chicken cubes, various peppers, onion, mushroom and zucchini. I rubbed them all lightly in olive oil/salt/pepper/crushed garlic and DH grilled them. We had enough leftovers to fry up for fajitas the next night and the kids even ate them.
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I love watermelon on a hot day.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #12  

Thanks for the great ideas chicks! I knew you'd come up with stuff. I am making a shopping list...
I can see I need to expand my grilling skills, I am pretty basic when it comes to grilling.

Yes walking, I am in MD, not far from the VA. line. We are broiling here too!
Old 06-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #13  

Surely your bedroom has a window AC? No way would I live without AC in the summer. I'd go to a motel and hubby would be left to swelter in the bed alone. LOL Yesterday it was 102 degrees here (south Georgia) and humid. Absolutely miserable. In fact, with my weight and blood pressure, I would probably literally die without AC. In the summer, I'd take the AC over the hubby. LOL

Anyway, as for recipes, here's a bunch for you! The first is grilled foods and the next link has over 8,000 "no cook" recipes:
http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/spec...e/sumagg_fare/
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/no-cook
gaia3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Yeah that heat wave you're talking about...thats called summer. It hit here HARD. What happened to a nice June days of like low 80s....we are in HIGH 90's....YUCK.
Have to agree with Gaia3...i would take cool air over hubby any day too. Unless my house was falling apart, AIR would be the first priority...it is not going to get any cooler for a LONG time.
Walmart has window a/c's for cheap. Sorry off topic. My food recommendation is dont forget to grill fruit...stone fruits are great on the grill...peaches are my favorite.

Last edited by Get n healthy; 06-10-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:02 AM   #15  

gala, thanks for those links! I googled hot weather cooking and didn't come up with much. Didn't think to try "no-cook."
Yes, we do have window units for the bedrooms. That's the only time it really bothers me, when it's too hot to sleep. DH made that concession when he realized that there is no romance around here when it's hot!
We got up to 98 and miserably humid yesterday, but last night we had storms and it is much cooler and less humid today. I do get the impression that it's going to be a beastly summer. On the good side, I don't feel much like eating when it's hot. BTW, DH will be away from July 1 through the rest of the summer, so I think I'll get another unit for the living room. Stay cool chicks!

Last edited by Schmoodle; 06-11-2008 at 08:10 AM.