Old 05-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #1  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Default PMS worse while dieting

I'm not prone to headaches but I am finding that I now get headaches two days before my period. I would always find that I would become a little grumpy prior to my period- but that was about it. Now I feel lousy and get headaches. The first month I wrote it off to not drinking enough (but I was) then I wondered if it was my food selections ie not enough carbs. Not that. I read an article that suggested that pms headaches are due to water retention in your spine and skull. Is this common with dieting? Not enjoying this. Any suggestions
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #2  
FB

Are you exercising too? It sounds counterproductive but a hardcore workout solves my PMS blues like nothing else.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:06 PM   #3  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

yes, continuing with daily exercise. I think estrogen is stored in fat- I wonder if more is released as you are losing weight so it is impacting me more??
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I've actually found that my PMS and my cramps have gotten better since my diet and exercise got better.

One thing that I've read is that taking fish oil capsules can help with PMS and I know that my diet has a lot more omega-3 fats in it as I've started eating better. So maybe that's part of the difference?

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:26 AM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Lifechange,

Yes, our fat does store a form of estrogen and it can impact your PMS. I am in full menopause and take hormone replacement therapy. When I am consistently losing weight, I usually have to alter my therapy as I tend to get depressed, moody, anxious and retain water. Fun fun!

Here are some things that my daughter's doctor recommended for her severe PMS...Make sure you're getting plenty of rest, plenty of calcium and avoiding too much caffeine ,avoiding too many starches and avoiding refined sugars right before your TOM. When she follows these guidelines, her PMS symptoms are greatly reduced.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 05-23-2008 at 12:27 AM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/268/175

Height: 6'1"

Glad I read this.
I'm seriously regretting that bag of cheetos and pint of ice cream I made the boyfriend go get me this week. UGH.

Next time I feel a craving, I'm just going to go exercise through it.
Czarria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I'm like PhotoChick, my cramps *dramatically* improved, and not just that, but my period is much lighter now also, and that was after just 2 weeks of eating better and 1 week of yoga. I still can't believe how much better it is. I'm going to have to buy different tampons and I'm going to have to find someone to give my big bottle of Advil to. PMS-wise, I'm mostly just grumpy, and I can't say I'm really any better or worse now, but I cope better. Oh, and I get pre-menstrual acne (not too bad) and that hasn't changed either.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

My symptoms also seem milder than before, but I'm also eating more soy (eg tofu, soy milk) and I've heard that soy is good for PMS.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #9  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I've actually found that my PMS and my cramps have gotten better since my diet and exercise got better.
Ditto. My cramps used to be so severe that I would have to take 4 ibuprofen every few hours daily just so I could function. For the first 2 days of my TOM I always felt really crappy, like I was sick, and I had almost no energy.

Since I starting to exercise and eat healthier my cramps are virtually non-existent! I also don't feel ill during my TOM anymore, and even though it still saps some energy from me it is nowhere near as bad as it was before.

I find it puzzling that you would start getting headaches. Maybe there is something else going on there? An iron deficiency perhaps? (I read that we gals can actually get anemic during our TOM, especially if Aunt Flo is particularly heavy.)
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote