South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Phase I Starters/Restarters - May 18 and Onwards

If you are starting or redoing Phase I, here's the place to post ideas, questions and support. You can also use this thread to whine!
Old 05-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Well, that's me. Doing P1 again. I started on the 17th, but I'm sure nobody'll hold that against me!

Sticking to my P1 breakfast of 2 slices turkey bacon, 2 eggs scrambled w/ 1/2 cup veggies that are on hand, plus coffee with skim milk and splenda. My favorite snacks are plain yogurt with a calorie/sugar free drink mix packet stirred in and roasted red pepper hummus with red pepper slices. Planned dinners this week are salmon "tacos" (I eat it over salad instead of in a ww tortilla), meatball casserole, enchilada chicken and steak (in honor of MIL coming into town).

I'm doing the workout program in the Super Charged book and really, really like it. It's not the intensity that I'm used to, but it takes at most 30 minutes a day and I'm not sore every time I work out. That has led to much more consistent exercising.

I started P1 two weeks ago yesterday, but flew off the wagon when DH had to go out of town last week (week 2). I went from 211 to 207 the first week and was at 207 when I weighed-in yesterday. Again, not looking for the big whoosh of weight loss associated with P1, more important is the reduced cravings and preparation for when real fat loss comes in P2.

Hope to see some new and maybe returning SB Chicks soon!

~Kim

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 05-18-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #3  
new/just discovered ya'll

S/C/G: 165/173/130

Height: 5'4

I actually started on the 15th myself. I am new to south beach but after reading 8 books on dieting and nutrition it seems to be the one that I could stick with. I do have one problem though, I am SICK. On the second day I seemed to be evening out on the cravings but yesterday I started getting horrible headaches and today it feels like it has turned into what seems like the flu. Now I want every carb in sight. Could this be because of feeling sick or have I eaten something wrong that is causing the cravings? Anyone else run into this?

Also it is the fourth day and the scale hasn't moved a bit. A little discouraging. Shouldn't something have changed!?
Old 05-18-2008, 11:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266.8/226.4/150

Height: 5' 6"

Hello Everyone!

Good luck on your re-do. I am starting tomorrow. We can do this thing together.

Mssmackatude
Old 05-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #5  
PinkMermaid-on-SouthBeach

S/C/G: 176/161.5/120 Down 15 lbs!!!

Height: 5'2

I started on May 14th, so I hope that still counts. Today is Day 5 for me and so far so good. I have been on SB before, but still adjusting to everything again. We can do this!!!! Good luck to everyone.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

hi everybody!

back again! just started-
nothing says tabula rasa like a monday.

hi kimstar! we meet again *grin* i agree, it's not all about the weight loss, but about gettin rid of those evil cravings (i really fell off the wagon this weekend...nuff said) and feeling energetic and healthy again

ready-sounds like you might have sbd-flu. i always get it the first 3-4 days until my body has metabolized and my sugar levels come back down. what helps: a tall glass of lofat milk, plenty of beans and pulses of any kind

mssmackatude & jabr

cheers

jan
Old 05-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 192/190/165

Height: 5'4"

Good morning everyone!

It was a rough weekend since we had my fiance's birthday party cookout on Saturday. I was mostly good but I had a few slip ups with trying a few rare/belgian beers and a little bit of a brownie. Unfortunately I think that might have hurt me so I may do a few extra days of P1 to make up for it.

I'm back on plan though and I made bacon/egg/veggie breakfast cups (from the SBD cookbook) and the dessert pie from the boards for quick breakfasts this week.

I'm really hoping that by doing SBD I can get 20lbs off before my wedding in September. I just don't want all these wedding pictures with me looking heavy!
Old 05-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #8  

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandaman View Post
hi kimstar! we meet again *grin* i agree, it's not all about the weight loss, but about gettin rid of those evil cravings (i really fell off the wagon this weekend...nuff said) and feeling energetic and healthy again
Amen! I love how great I feel - even by day 3, I'm feeling energized and excited and ready to do this right.

readyforrealme: Welcome to the beach! Maybe you could post a typical days' menu for us to look at. Some of the SB Vets may be able to find some clues as to why you have the SB "flu" and why you're still craving so much. And don't worry about not losing anything yet, whether or not you actually see a change on the scale doesn't really matter on P1. The change needs to be in your blood sugar, cravings, way of eating, etc. The real weight loss happens on P2. Besides, it all depends on how much you have to lose, how you were eating before, whether or not you were retaining water before starting, etc.

, mssmackatude: How's your first day going so far? I'm sure you're doing great!!

jabr: Hi and we CAN do this! Congrats on making it to day 5 - you're doing great!

Soon2bJWeave: I know that it's rough, but this is what I love so much about SB. It is so forgiving. You messed up a bit, but you were able to move past it and jump right back on. Good for you!

Me: Morning of D3 for me and feeling great. Slept great last night, got up and got a lot done before work and packed some great snacks and a lunch for work today. Tonight will be the Super Charged P1 workout for D3. Here's to another strong P1 day!

~Kim

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 05-19-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 05-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #9  
SeaWave

I'm starting on P1 tomorrow (taking the time to prep some food today, so my lunches are good to take to work). I've had a few health-related adventures that are ongoing, but I'm hoping that I can still do SBD while those other things get resolved.

I ate a great salad from the work caf last week that I'm going to re-create this week - chic peas, snow peas, cauliflower, broccoli in an oil & vinegar dressing. Very yum!

Have a good SBD week everyone!

Old 05-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 192/190/165

For lunches I've actually been doing a salad with lettuce, cucumbers, broccoli and 5 cherry tomatoes topped off with one of those 3 oz pkgs of Salmon and a balsamic vinegar/oil dressing for lunch. I also have a string cheese along with the meal and it's pretty filling. I highly recommend trying to do this for an easy lunch to take to work!

I just scheduled my first dress fitting for June 19th. I'm sure that's going to be when I'd like to have 10-15lbs lost by, but I understand that's going to take hard work on my part. I'm going to try lifting weights and cardio tonight at some point. We've also been walking a lot at night which I need to make sure we keep up with that!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 245/238/150

I fell off the SB wagon back in March after a week-long gall bladder attack. I'm going to try to get back on it by the end of this week depending on when I have a chance to make a meal plan and go shopping for it amid all of the end-of-school craziness. I guess I didn't do as horribly as I could have - I only put back on 2 pounds, but it pains me think how much further on my journey to a healthy weight I would be if I hadn't slacked off.

Anyway I look forward to being around here again sometime this week!

Jennifer
Old 05-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #12  

Jennifer, don't worry, we've all been there. The first time I did SB was in Mar 2006. I weighed 225 then and am only down to 207 in that 2+ years. I've gotten off track so many times that I have my P1 menu memorized. But, the good thing is that I know this can work and that I just have to stay on track to allow it to work. Great job getting back on track and I look forward to seeing your snail move soon!

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 05-19-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #13  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

Quick question regarding Atkins Advantage Bars... Would you consider these SB friendly? (I need a quick energy meal/snack to pack with me this weekend for the race...)

Here are the ingredients:

Nutrition Advantage Points: 240 calories, 12g fat, 19g protein, 10g fiber, 1g sugar, 19 vitamins and minerals, including an excellent source of Calcium, 240 calories, 0g sugar alcohols.

INGREDIENTS: PROTEIN BLEND [SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, HYDROLYZED COLLAGEN, WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE (MILK), SODIUM CASEINATE], GLYCERINE, POLYDEXTROSE, DRY ROASTED PEANUT, PEANUT FLOUR, PALM KERNEL AND PALM OIL, CELLULOSE, COCONUT OIL, COCOA POWDER (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, OLIVE OIL, BUTTER OIL, SOY LECITHIN, MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, GUAR GUM, CITRIC ACID, SUCRALOSE, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM. NUTRITION BLEND: TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, ASCORBIC ACID, SODIUM ASCORBATE, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, CYANOCOBALAMIN, ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, NIACINAMIDE, BIOTIN, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, ZINC OXIDE, FOLIC ACID, CHROMIUM CHELATE, PHYTONADIONE, SODIUM SELENITE. CONTAINS: SOY, MILK AND PEANUTS. THIS PRODUCT IS MANUFACTURED IN A FACILITY THAT USES PEANUTS, OTHER NUTS AND SEEDS.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Marathon Mom, nope. Look at all those ingredients and additives! One of the things we're trying to get away from on the SBD is processed food, and these are full of ingredients we should avoid. Palm oil, coconut oil, butter oil, and just look at all those chemicals. Sorry.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #15  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Totally agree. Aside from the non-SBD ingredients, my rule is not to eat anything when I have no idea what it is! Could you make some of Nessa's Oatmeal bars for the event?
Closed Thread