Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #1  
Mel

Default Lift and Chat: May 16 - 31, 2008

It's a little early, but I wanted to start the thread with this great picture of two liftin' ladies

We are strong!

Look at Lydia's great arms and smile

Have a good night

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #2  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Wow!!! I am not worthy. You guys look amazing.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Fess up now ... how many of you ran to a mirror???

I am not even in your league. Whew! What an awesome duo!

.... is there a bowing smilie?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Great pic! How much weight is on that bar?
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #5  
Mel

We were showing off- and could barely curl it. 135 pounds.

I think I need a new sports bra
Old 05-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You guys look awesome! I'm jealous
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

OK, I have to ask, what kind of body fat do you have to have to have visible muscle like that? Yes, I'm asking you to share your current bf% cuz YOU BOTH LOOK HOT!!!! I'd like to have goal to shoot for!!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #8  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Mel and Lydia, you ladies look great! You look like you'd whip up on that scrawny Terminator chick! Where's the "shock, awe" smiley? Who's in charge, here?!

Okay, I'd better quit dinking around on the computer and get my workout in before I turn into a pumpkin, which wasn't too far back on the road, though I've graduated to more of an eggplant shape these days, so that's progress.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #9  
Mel

I should have posted this picture with it. We only look like hulks when we're lifting something heavy! Here's a totally "unflexed" picture.

Fran- I haven't had my body fat measured in a long time. The lowest I've ever gotten was 16% and I was a LOT leaner then. My best guess is around 18-19%. Measurements were always done with a 9 point caliper test. As long as I like the way my clothes fit and the way I look, I just don't care about the raw numbers anymore. It's made me a lot less crazy to focus on behavior instead of numbers

Lydia- Hope you don't mind that I posted these. I had so much fun with you

Food has been on track since my Monday pity party. Cardio done. I'm about to go and do a short workout before I take my son to the doctor, then head to work late.

Have a good one!

Mel
Old 05-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #10  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

OMG. Thanks for all of the great compliments ladies! :

SusanB and Elisa: You certainly are in our league! You would be surprised what your own muscles look like under stress.

Midwife: I could hear your squeal all the way over here in Columbus, Ohio. I did the same thing when I looked into the tiny frame of my camera and saw this picture. I think I may have embarrassed myself as well as anyone around me. (I'm a rather quiet and unassuming person at the gym. Unless its a grunt no one really hears much out of me. ) But it was the first time I had seen myself in this way. Ever! Yeah, I was pretty excited. My goal was never to develop definition nor a little mass. I had never hoped for anything such as that when I began. My whole focus was upon just becoming healthy but a welcomed by product. I showed these pics to my 84 year old grandmother last weekend. She sucked in her breathe and said, "Oh, now, I just don't know if you outta be doin' that." Course she also thought I should be wearing socks with my sandals and pointed out that my ankles look like they are retaining a little "water." But I love her anyway.

Fran: I really don't know my BF%. I'm not sure I want to know. I did have it done electronically last spring and it was around 24 to 25%. I think. Anyway, I was much leaner as the summer continued. This winter my composition changed for the worse after my bilateral knee scoping. So I'm kind of on my way back now. The gym is offering a BF analysis through water displacement on June 7th. Two things. It's totally submersion and I hate to hold my breathe under water, and it's the same day that I turn 40. I'm toying with the idea but I'm not sure I really want to know. As far as comparing this photo shot with a specific BF% I want to share something with you. I think that me at a specific % is going to be different than someone else at that same level. I really don't carry my weight above my waist. I may have collarbones now and it's easier for me to see definition in my pecs, shoulders, waist, but I am really small chested. Eh, it's a tradeoff. I do love it though that I can throw on a sports bra and run like a maniac if I want without anything getting in the way. However, sometimes its a bummer when shopping for a nice dress. It just doesn't look the way it was intended by the designer. The other downside of this is that all of my weight is in my hips and thighs. Look at the photo again. Who is wearing pants. There is a reason...I've got work to do yet.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the pics Mel. I'm glad you put our unflexed photo up too. I think that it is important for other women who may be interested in lifting but uncertain about all of the myths of bulking up that you really don't look that way unless you are under a load and working. The rest of the time, I think we all look pretty ahem, dare I say, "toned".

Have a great morning everyone!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Thank you so much for posting the unflexed photo. I showed DH the bulked looking one and said that is what I wanna look like when I grow up. He said no way. (I think he was just a little scared, lol.) You guys look great!
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Great photos. I personally love the "bulked up" look. My greatest wish is to one day have some real muscle showing. I'm never gonna be tiny so if people are going to say "Wow - she's huge!" I'd rather it be for my bulging bicep then my giant belly - lol!!!

Here is a link to an article written by one of the trainers I was seeing before I moved: http://www.ultimatefitnessgyms.com/a...8174/95955.htm that some of you might find interesting/fun to read. Her & I were chatting afterwards & she said, yeah, I had to vent - I'm soooo sick of hearing women who can barely lift the 10lbs dumbbell worry that they don't want to bulk up! Have you seen how hard Paul (her husband) works to put on a lb of muscle?!

Anyway, I had a good walk with the dogs this morning & I'm going to head out in a minute here for the gym. I "went" to the gym last night but ended up stopping at a department store & never making it to the gym! And I didn't even end up finding any of the things I had gone in for! Ridiculous!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #13  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Great photos, Mel & Lydia! Your guns rock!

I must say that Mel doesn't look how I pictured her. I think I must have been channeling the avatar, although I know that it's, well, an avatar.

Not much to report. Crazy busy all the way through next week. In fact, I think I have four meetings on my 30-tenth birthday. Whazzup wit dat?

Be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #14  
Meg

That's the cool thing about Mel -- she looks like she would be perfectly at home discussing the crisis in the derivatives market or the correct temperature to serve Port, then she loads up a barbell with 300 pounds and does squats. Appearances can be deceptive!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #15  

Wow.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote