Default cereal grain nut and fruit bars

So I found this recipe off google.. its quite yummy and very easy:
4c of cereal (whatever cereal you like)
2c oats
2/3c peanut butter
2/3c tahini
about 3/4-1c Agave Nectar
variations:
I added quinoa, flax seeds, sunflower seeds. I also found dried cranberries and apples and a little dried mango.
-while adding more materials up the amount of peanut butter and tahini as you'll need more "glue"
Also adding spices if wanting to: cinnamon, nutmeg, ground ginger, etc.

Heat up the tahini and peanut butter and cream them together. Then add the agave nectar (to taste). Keep stirring and simmer a bit.
Remove from heat and start adding everything else.
Then put into greased baking pans and chill until hardened. Once hardened, break up into bars.

These taste very, very yummy!! It makes a really big batch. I'd suggest freezing some
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Ooh, these sound great. I have some unsweetened dried cherries and walnuts/almonds. What type of cereal did you use? I think Kashi Go Lean would be good. I think that is a recommended type of cereal that is also really good. I also have some amaranth flakes that would be good.

Did you use dried quinoa?

Last edited by zeffryn; 05-14-2008 at 10:56 PM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I used dried quinoa yes and I used the Kashi Go lean. it turned out really yummy!!!

Oh and if adding extra stuff only add a little bit more peanut butter and tahini as too much will make them too moist.. they're still good, but a bit messier than if not adding much extra... All in all.. definitely taste better than the south beach living cereal bars!!! And there's no chemicals
Old 05-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I don't have the list in front of me, but I don't think Kashi GoLean is an SBD-safe cereal. Some that I'm sure are safe are:

Uncle Sam
Fiber One
Erewhon's Brown Rice Crisps

There are others...I've found a lot of possible cereals in the Nature's Market section of Wegman's (kind of health food-y for those who don't have a Wegman's). They have plain puffed grains, like kamut and quinoa, and lots of plain flaked cereals, too.

Sounds like a yummy recipe, though!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:33 AM   #5  

Guess I'll have to check it out.. for now I'll prolly stick with the Kashi.... Its super high in fiber and protein
ingredients: soy grits, Kashi seven whole grains and sesame (Hard red winter wheat, long grain brown rice, whole grain oats, barley, tritcale, rye, buckwheat, sesame seeds), evaporated cane juice syrup, cornmeal, corn flour, soy protein, wheat bran, oat fiber, corn bran, honey, evaporated can juice, nat. flavors, calcium carbonate, salt, annatto

Its honestly not the best, there's honey, cane juice syrup... Corn meal, Long grain brown rice... call me a bad person, that's fine. I think I'll stick with it. Its the only healthy DH will eat, I'll take it!
for 1cup serving:
30g carb: 10g fiber, 6g sugar
13g protein
1g fat
for the calorie watchers serving: 3/4cup
11 cal. 1g fat, 8g fiver, 5g sugar
there are not too many cereals out there that have no added sugar. I guess I'm happy with just honey and a bit of cane juice syrup... That's just me.
Everybody can choose their own cereals..
Old 05-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #6  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

TDI - amaranth flakes and puffs are both pretty good and they don't have a strong flavor. I've found that kamut puffs have a strong flavor that DH doesn't really enjoy.

I'm going to make these today with the amaranth flakes that I have on hand. They are high in protein and they are unsweetened, whole grains. I think with the addition of peanut butter and agave it should be plenty sweet.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #7  

Let me know how they come out