Old 05-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Question Books???

I was wondering if anyone was reading any good books? I have free time this summer and want to read some books (I will have airport and car time to read which will be a good time to read). I know I could post this in the general chatter but I wanted to post here because looking for people around my age.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm not your age, but I always recommend the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Start with the first one (One for the Money) and they go in order by the numbers. They are a good light, funny read. I also like Sophie Kinsella and the Shopaholic books.
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:55 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I always like Harry Potter

And Stephan King... but his older stuff.... what kinda of books do you like?

I haven't ride a book for a while... if only I could work out and read at the same time....
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #4  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I love the Janet Evanovich series - I also just finished up a Candace Bushnell (author of Sex & the city) book - "Trading Up" it was a good fun read...also, Cecelia Ahern has some good love stories out there for our generation...plus, she is irish, so much of them have irish characters that give me, at least, a great fantasy of a fab man with a sweet accent!

Joyce carol oates - "We were the mulvaneys"
Dean Koontz - good, reliable thrillers
Dave Pelzer - a three part series - A Child called It, (then two others and I can't recall the names) but they are based on his life as an abused child.
Malika Oufkir - Stolen Lives - 20 years in a desert jail - true story - great read.

I also highly recommend signing up for www.paperbackswap.com - I use it to trade books through the mail and it's a cheap and easy way to get books. I love the service - and its free!
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I love the harry potter books ... I'm almost finished with the last one ... so don't feel like dork

Mom2JandT - really anyone is welcome to comment ... the plum books look good ... I think I'm going to go look at the used book store for them on Friday
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #6  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I like reading books that have been made into movies. Most of the time the books are much better (but not always!). Some good ones:

* Memoirs of a Geisha
* Pride & Prejudice
* The Devil Wears Prada
* Dune (there's a whole series, but a few of them get a little, er, odd)
* All of the Harry Potter books
* The DaVinci Code (of course)
* Jane Eyre
* The Lord of the Rings trilogy

I also like reading up on the "classics" like "Moby Dick" or "Oliver Twist." That way I don't feel ignorant because I haven't read them!

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 05-14-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

These aren't new books (I generally prefer the classics), but they are well worth reading.

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas - absolutely fantastic, my absolute favorite book of all time

Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini - another awesome book, probably my second favorite book

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams - If at all possible get the audio book read by Stephen Fry. He totally makes the book.

Anything by P.G. Wodehouse is great, especially if you like British humour.

The Adventures of Don Quixote de la Mancha by Miguel Cervantes is another great book, but it is difficult for many people to read, so you may be better off to just watch the movie with Peter O'Toole (which is amazingly good for a book to movie adaptation, in general I'm not too pleased with them).

I hope you enjoy your free time!
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #8  
SE Asia, baby

S/C/G: 232/141/132

Height: 5'5

oh man, i second pride and prejudice--awesome book! like a lot of people have said, harry potter is definitely worth your time. if you're looking for a light girly read that isn't completely stupid i'd recommend basically anything by meg cabot, especially the size 12 is not fat series!
graciegoose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

I agree, I love Meg Cabot!
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #10  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

Hmm.. I would recommend a few books! Some of the ones I have taught are amazing reads for any age though I do admit, most of my casual reading is young adult literature because I'm either researching books for my units or the fact that they are fun, easy and usually great reads.

I love Edith Wharton and I would recommend Custom of the Country and The House of Mirth. They're not the happiest of books... but they're amazing in their complexity and ability to make you think.

I just finished a series by Scott Westerfeld after three students did book reports on it. Book one is called "Pretties," book two "Uglies," book three "Specials" and book four "Extras." It is an amazing series; yes written for young adults but it's awesome. It's all about a society in the future where people on their 16th birthdays are forced into having drastic plastic surgery to make them beautiful; the theory being that beautiful people have nothing to argue about, start wars about or generally care about at all but what if you don't want to be pretty? It's a really great series, I highly recommend it.

I'll chime in with Harry Potter too! I think book 7 jumped the shark, so to say and kind of insulted readers but I love the series too much to snark it much. Along those same lines, the Artemis Fowl series is pretty good too, it's kind of an Anti-Hero Harry Potter series and I like that a lot about it.

For the classics besides Wharton, I love Lewis Carroll, C. S. Lewis and T. S. Elliot... But I might just like abbreviations .

Anyway, I have typed longer than I bet you want to read! Sorry for going off, I just love books. Kind of have to in my line of work, lol. Hope you find something you want to read!
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #11  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

If you're into metaphysics I can give you a BUNCH of different titles to check out. If you are let me know, otherwise I'm not gonna post them.

Happy reading! I wish I had more time to!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:04 PM   #12  
i WANT this...bad

S/C/G: 225/ticker/140

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
If you're into metaphysics I can give you a BUNCH of different titles to check out. If you are let me know, otherwise I'm not gonna post them.

Happy reading! I wish I had more time to!
I'm interested!

I like Something Borrowed and Something Blue - Emily Griffin. They are kind of a girly read along with Sweet Ruin - Cathi Hanauer. I like the Harry Potter and Pride and Prejudice.. I have always wanted my own Mr. Darcy. I do really like James Patterson also!
SephyFowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:48 AM   #13  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

I love True Crime books. I have a few titles that I couldn't put down. (I was a CJA major, not a serial killer in training). I love books about crime dramas and crime mysteries. I just recenlty finished The surgeon by Tess Gerritsen-- and Heartstopper by Joy Fielding. I also like 'Dark Dreams' and 'The Evil that men do' written by Roy Hazelwood, retired FBI Profiler who I actually met and sat in on one of his seminars. he is a Facinating Man for sure, if only i could pick his brain, lol.
One of my favorite classes in College was "Violent Criminal Behavior" only because I'm facinated by what makes these people snap and what leads up to it ect... blah blah... anywho-- good luck finding some great books!
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:06 AM   #14  
The Last 10lbs!

I absolutely looove Clive Cussler novels. Did you ever see the movie Sahara with Matthew McConaghuey (if I spelled that right...) and Penelope Cruz? That's based on one of his novels, and my favourite series, his Dirk Pitt ones. They are action/adventure/suspense, somewhat far-fetched but written very convincingly. They also involve lots of subs, high speed boat chases, crazed dictators, sunken treasure, etc. I love that sort of stuff, the type of action that keeps you turning the pages, and I highly recommend his novels if you do as well

I also vote for Jane Eyre. Not only is it a classic, but it is an excellent read. I studied it in my first year of university.

If you are looking for something funny, the Darwin Awards books are absolutely hilarious (in a sort of weird, how-can-you-be-so-stupid way). I am often on really long flights and if there is a new one out, I make a point of getting it before I get on the plane. It keeps me amused for hours!
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:14 AM   #15  
Ready to do this!

S/C/G: 215/197/145

Height: 5'7

I'm reading Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith right now...interesting so far. I LOVE Marley and Me. I cried like a baby. I like Michael Connelly for crime/easy reading type books.
reddahlia is offline   Reply With Quote