Old 05-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/140

Height: 5"7

Unhappy I can't believe that she said that...

Ok, I work in an OB\GYN office and I was asked by a patient today when I was having my baby.....um...... yeah..... I'm NOT pregnant.... I felt like a big pile of pregnant-looking crap!!! I have lost 23 pounds now and that was the first time I have ever had a comment like that!! I didn't know what to say to her....
aerogora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Why not just say " I'm not pregnant " in the iciest tone you can manage. Congratulations on losing 23 pounds !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I am about your height and weight and I have also been asked about my due date. The person made about as graceful a recovery as possible (something about my "glow"). I attribute it to my losing weight top-down, starting with my face, so the top half of my body looks like it belongs to a much thinner person. I suppose that gives me something to look forward to when the lower region catches up! If you are in the same boat, to put a positive spin on it, you could take it as evidence that you are making progress, but that it just isn't showing evenly.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:39 AM   #4  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

when will people learn you NEVER ask a woman about her pregnancy unless you know her personally and know for sure she is pregnant! How embarassing for both parties. I'm sorry.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:51 AM   #5  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

Awwe...I'm sorry There was a thread not too long ago where someone asked the same thing to another girl on here. Her response was hilarious. She said "probably 9 months after I get pregnant!"
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:08 AM   #6  
Operator265

Sorry to hear about the RUUUDE question. Back where I'm from, your can't hit a pregnant woman even if she hits you first. Just something to keep in mind. I also like the 9 mths. retort.

Strange thing for me was with my first daughter I never did look pg even when I was 7 1/2 months on. Now that I'm so heavy and carry damned near all of it in the front of my stomach, I look more pg than I did when I was, and I'm 45 lbs heavier than my max. maturnity weight.

Questions like that and other health issues are simply not asked of strangers.(Do I sound like Miss Manners now?) It's also another good reason not to treat a pg's belly like public property. That happened to a friend when she wasn't even pg. Talk about humiliating for both her and the offender.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Seriously, when will ppl learn that they shouldn't ask ppl they don't know if they are pregnant??
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I have never been asked that question but I agree that is an embarassing question to be asked. However I just had this discussion with a girl in my class who is taller then me and probable a size 10 (maybe a 12) that she was asked by one of the assistant deans when she was due. She was mortified, almost in tears, and asked if she had really gotten that heavy. Shes not, she is healthy.

So I totally agree with the don't ask unless you are sure.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Ugh... that does suck.

I'm sure she'd hate me admitting this, but my mom was on the other side of that one time. There was a woman looking through a rack of shirts in a maternity clothing store who looked quite pregnant, and my mom asked when she was due... turns out she WORKED THERE! My mom was embarrassed for days.

It wasn't the first time for that woman, though... people buying maternity clothes are obviously thinking about pregnancy and babies a lot, so she had been asked before. People are just so self-absorbed -- not that it's really an excuse. It's probably the same sort of thing working at a OB/GYN office.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #10  
keep on truckin'

S/C/G: 253/249/190

Height: 6'1

Aw don't worry! I assure you you probably do not look pregnant, and even if you do you're losing weight! So you're doing a great job!

I was asked that once, but it was by my best friend's mother. Otherwise, I would probably try to make it amusing to myself and go along with it. "Oh I'm about 6 months! We're thinking of naming her Holly!"
vdaybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I have never asked that question. I don't care if someone is 9 months prego. You never ask that. When I was pregnant with my son, I only had one person assume I was pregnant throughout my whole pregnancy. They obviously were lacking tact. I've had a hard time with my stomach because I had a C-section. Anyways, WHO asks that question these days? That is ***-backwards thinking. Sounds like their mama didn't teach them any manners.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #12  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

yes no manners! I agree with mamaspank! I heard 3rd party that someone asked if I was pregnant - and I had a miscarriage a few months prior - that no one know about. It was horrible =(
Just more motivation to get to the gym for me I guess.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #13  
I'm so sexy it hurts

S/C/G: (275 preggo) 245/183/<165

Height: 5'8'"

why the **** do people still ask others that?! You think they would have learned by now. The only way that I would ever say anything to a stranger about being PG is if there was a head poking out. Also, never tell a PG woman that you didn't notice she was PG. A GF of mine who had her baby last monday said something to the cashier about "#2 is almost here" and the cashier said "oh I didn't know you were PG again" my GF felt really bad. She felt like she was 9 months fat. I prefer to say something like "good luck" or "congratulations" not "Oh I just thought that you were really really fat." Dodo heads.
Kriket84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 243/225/155

Height: 5'10"

Only way I could imagine saying anything is if the woman has a shirt that states it like Baby on board aor something...My friend was pg she was a little extra "fluffy" (her word for it) and she had people asking about twins So I made her a shirt that said "One baby lots of room".

Saw a husband t shirt that said "Sympathy pounds" My hubby thinned down when I was pg made me feel even bigger lol.
KatrinaMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:50 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/192/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaMaine View Post
Saw a husband t shirt that said "Sympathy pounds" My hubby thinned down when I was pg made me feel even bigger lol.
Haha, mine gained about 30 pounds and now we're both trying to lose our post-baby weight! At least I have an excuse!
kpren514 is offline   Reply With Quote