South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 194.6/194.6/163

Height: 5.5

Question How did you switch to Phase 2?

Hello Everyone,
I was wondering how to smoothly switch to Phase 2. What did you introduce first? Fruit or carbs? How much or little a day did you add? How many fruit servings do you eat a day? How much carbs?

I am doing great on Phase 1, 100%! I feel really good about it and I really want to continue this way, but I am afraid I will somewhat mess up in Phase 2...

Thanks!
apple76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #2  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

week one... introduced strawberries AFTER dinner mixed with ricotta. did that for a week.

Second week.. introduced a grain (can't even remember what it was but it was at dinner) so i was having one fruit and one grain per day

third week... added a second fruit so my day was 2 fruits and one grain/starch (which for me is sweet potato or quiona mostly at dinner) or a bit of whole wheat pasta, or brown rice

fourth week added my second grain... oatmeal at breakfast.

now my day is

oatmeal in the AM w/fruit

no fruit or grain at lunch

sometimes fruit w/dairy for snack

grain/starch at dinner most nights
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #3  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I added fruit back in, 1 to 2 servings each day for the first 1-2 weeks of phase 2--(I call this phase 1.5).
Then I add in a grain, I started with 1 slice of sprouted grain bread with breakfast and the 1-2 servings of fruit each day. Did that for 1-2 weeks.
Now, 2-3 servings of fruit each day & 1-2 grains/starches each day, occasionally a 3rd serving of grains/starches.
Grains/starches for me are sprouted grain bread (Ezekial bread), brown rice, steelcut oats, sweet potato and rarely triscuits or whole wheat pasta.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #4  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

Ibegan p2 last week. The last time I did SBD I don't think I had my cravings under control (particularly since I followed the orignal plan from the first book). This time around I'm trying to be stricter. Last week I had a 1/2 of a green apple w/ some plain FF yogurt for breakfast. This week I'm adding something ww (either triscuits or brown rice) a couple times this week, and I've also added some mango a couple times this week. I did, however, splurge for dessert this week and made the choc. peanut butter cake from the dessert thread. So I have a small piece of that right after dinner. So far my cravings have stayed subdued. Slowly and cautiously is my mantre right now.
hmacneil6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I added oatmeal for breakfast the first week. I couldn't stand not having it in Phase I. It keeps me regular and I have eaten it for years.

I added a fruit the second week, usually strawberries, small banana or apple with my yogurt, which is usually with snack or lunch.

I added a second grain the third week with supper, usually brown rice, a sweet potato, or a whole grain bread.

I have never added a second fruit, so I think I'm lacking nutritionally somewhat because I think people need to eat more than one serving of fruit a day (for cancer prevention, etc.). It's something I've always struggled with (eating more fruit).

I think if I added more grains than this (I think the book states you can have more than two), I might gain or have trouble maintaining. I seem to be OK where I'm at.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 212/168/140

Height: 5'4"

Default thanks

I was looking for a way to start phase 2 also because I am scared to stop Phase 1. Thats silly I know but I am afraid I will loose control and eat everything.
stitchwitch1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

It's really common to feel that way. If you go back through old posts you will see lots of chicks post the same thing. I know I felt that way too. In Phase 1 you see the plan start to work, you lose your cravings, and once your body adjusts it gets much easier. It's scary to think about eating starchy or sweet things again, and maybe getting cravings back, or having your loss stall. It's all good though, your body needs those things too, and it's not healthy to stay on Ph1 long term.
Usually by the end of Ph1 you are dreaming of something - a favorite fruit, or oatmeal, etc. Just start with whatever you want the most.
I started with oatmeal for breakfast the first week.
The next week I added strawberries with the oatmeal., etc.
I now eat 1 - 2 fruits/day, and
1 - 2 servings of a starch/day.
You'll be okay, you won't go haywire unless you add too much back too fast. Just go slow. Life is better when you can have a little fruit.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:40 PM   #8  
KSG

S/C/G: 206 / 199 / 176

Height: 5'10"

I'm finishing up P2 Week 1 this weekend. I started out adding fruit - a banana blended with peanut butter and yogurt for dessert. I ended up switching to cereal. I didn't have any cravings, except the craving for easier morning meals. Now my breakfast is Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Cereal with soy milk, 1 cheese stick and a can of V8. I have really enjoyed it. I'm think I'll add that banana back in for next week.
KSG is offline   Reply With Quote