South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Should I switch to South Beach Diet??

Hi everyone! I've been eating low-cal and watching portion sizes since October of last year, in addition to working out 5-6 times a week. Today is exactly 7 months and I've lost 53 pounds; however, most of that weight was lost in the first 2-3 months. For the past several months I've only lost about 4-5 pounds a month. I eat lean protein, veggies, fruit, reduced fat milk, yogurt, and cheeses, and only whole grains. I try to avoid processed foods as much as possible. I've been lurking in this SBD forum and it sounds pretty simple and makes sense. I'm seriously considering switching over to this plan. It's not all that different from the way I eat now.

I guess my question is this: should I expect to see a drastic change in weight loss (due to phase 1) or at the very least increase the weight loss a little? I know it is said that safe, healthy loss is 1-2 pounds a week. I'd like to lose 2 pounds a week, instead of the 1 that I lose now! Just wondering if anyone has any experience in this area??

Also, I've read that there is a new book out. I'm wondering if it varies greatly from the original?? My mom has the original and I was hoping that I could just borrow hers instead of buying the new one.

I'm just hoping to figure out if I should continue with my low-cal eating or switch to SBD. Thanks!
kris10dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

As far as the expecting to drop a bunch right away, I'm not sure. I'll let one of the resident guru's answer that.

The new book vs. the old book? I have both, while the new book does have a few new things in it - the main changes are the addition of the exercise plan and some scientific research to back the plan. If you just want the generals of the plan, go ahead and use the old book. The updates have all been shared on this website, so just use those.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #3  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Hello Kris, welcome. I have the new book ordered so I am not sure how much difference there is. You could borrow it from your local library. As far as doing ph 1 I am not sure what kind of weight loss you will see as you are following a plan that is close to SBD. Each persons body is different but ph 1 maybe what you need to shake off your stall. We are a great bunch of chicks with tons of great advice and knowledge. Hope you decide to stay around. Congrats on the great loss.
little chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #4  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

if you are eating
Quote:
lean protein, veggies, fruit, reduced fat milk, yogurt, and cheeses, and only whole grains. I try to avoid processed foods as much as possible.
you are already doing South Beach. if i follow the plan exactly I lose about 4 pounds a month.... phase 1 is NOT about the weight loss it's about busting the cravings and getting your eating under control.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

And weight loss takes more time than gaining weight does. You've lost a lot of weight in the last 7mos. Its seems like you're pretty close to the SBD way, it may not be too much work to switch over. Doing P1 may jumpstart you but it may not. You may consider doing p1 and then slowly adding back the fruits and grains.. how much of fruits and grains are you eating now?
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #6  

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I'm definitely going to get my mom's book and read more about all the concepts behind the diet!

tdiprincess: I probably eat 2 pieces of fruit a day (banana w/breakfast and an apple for a snack), sometimes I will eat a little more, like maybe some cut-up cantaloupe after dinner. As far as the grains, I eat sandwiches regularly...so 2 slices of whole wheat, whole grain bread, plus either some whole wheat pasta or brown rice a few nights a week. Right now I'm eating Kashi cereal or waffles for breakfast...I'm not sure how that affects my grain count. I'm pretty sure the waffles are whole grain.

I guess I was thinking that cutting out the fruit and grains for a couple weeks might jumpstart weightloss. It might be just the little change I need!
Old 05-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i think the problem might be that you're a bit heavy on the grains

i have oatmeal for breakfast and then a starch for dinner most nights.... but never have grain or starch at lunch (and if i do i don't have it with dinner.)
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

I've decided to do SB for a few weeks--mainly do phase 1 as I'm like you, eating mostly non-processed healthy food choices. I was all ready to start it, but then I read the book (I picked up the new one at Costco) and discovered you can't have any fruit or grains for phase 1 and I had just purchased a huge flat of strawberries. So, I'm sticking to my healthy eating until the strawberries are gone and then I'll do phase 1 for a week or 10 days. I've been "maintaining" my weight loss for over a year and really need to kick it up in order to lose the last few pounds. I've been thinking about doing this for quite some time and I'm kind of excited to really do it! I've also discussed it with my family as they'll basically have to do it with me! They all agree.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #9  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

If you are looking primarily for quick weight loss, then I think you may be disappointed in SBD. Just as the other chicks have mentioned, it sounds like you are almost on SBD anyway. The only big losses most people see is when doing phase 1 when they haven't been dieting at all.
I see an average of 1 pound lost per week. My clothes continue to feel more loose each week, although the scale gets stuck for weeks at a time.
It is a healthy way of eating for life.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree with Nessa.. you're a bit heavy on the carbs. You may want to do SBD to get an idea of servings and stuff... The first phase will be a bit of a challenge since you're used to the carbs so much... The fruit seems to be pretty good....
The book will help!! Enjoy!!

Alinell: that's awesome that your family will be doing this with you!! Just remember if you have children and teenagers, they should not be doing phase 1... It is a helper having support from family.. My DH is doing it with me. He goofs a bit, but he's good for the meals and such...
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiprincess View Post
Alinell: that's awesome that your family will be doing this with you!! Just remember if you have children and teenagers, they should not be doing phase 1... It is a helper having support from family.. My DH is doing it with me. He goofs a bit, but he's good for the meals and such...
The family will be doing it mainly for our dinner meal. I won't change what they are currently doing for breakfast and lunch. DH will have to share lunch with me as we work together and eat lunch together. Last night we did have a SB phase 1 dinner and everyone was satisfied.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #12  

Skinnydogmom: It's not that I want to lose an excessive amount of weight too quickly; I just think that I might need to shake things up a bit. Like Nessa and tdiprincess said, I think I might just be eating too many grains (carbs) that may be preventing greater weight loss. I am definitely still working on only eating one serving of grains...I just love them!

alinnell: I'm glad someone is in the same boat as me! I really think the SBD concepts will help give me a boost and I'm sure it'll do the same for you! I still have to read the book, so I'll probably start in a week or so. I think phase 1 might be hard the first couple of days, but I'm sure we will adapt! Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your responses!
Old 05-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

It's not hard for the rest of the family to go along for the ride, even when you are on Ph1. It just means keeping some fruit around for them to snack on (if you can resist), and cooking up some brown rice or ww pasta or tortillas etc. to go along with their dinner, while you just eat the entree and veggies.

I did decide to start SBD Ph1 last year right at the beginning of strawberry season and that was very difficult for me, as I usually go strawberry picking and make jam and freeze a bunch. That is the thing I missed the most on Ph1, but I survived.

Good luck you gals!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris10dawn View Post
I just think that I might need to shake things up a bit.
That is my thought exactly!!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW 226/ CW217/ GW 145

Height: 5'4

Hey Kris!! I did what you are doing.. I had already started eating better.. really watching what I was eating and watching carbs.. then after about 3 weeks doing that I tried South Beach. I didnt lose as much weight as others have on phase one, but I did lose about 7.. and that is what started it all.. when I hit Phase 2 I think I added back the grains too fast and stalled out..lol you will just have to keep track and tweek your plan as you go..
mommamurray is offline   Reply With Quote